Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - cactusnico - 2021-03-23

(2021-03-23, 07:13)ChipInNC Wrote:
(2021-03-07, 10:37)pruthisith Wrote: Thanks everyone for help posting the fix for this version.
I'm not sure why this is happening, having SMB should be standards and I don't know why it is getting more complicated each time.

This is the step I took and got it to working.
  • Go to setting > service
  • Enable Expert mode
  • Set min requirement to SMBv1 (you need to restart and come back)
  • Set max requirement to SMBv1 (you need to restart and come back)
At this stage you will be able to connect SMB now but got stuck in user/pass. This doesn't work with non-user/pass folder.
If you want to access the folder then do the step below:
  • After the above setting, Now Legacy mode will be available turn it ON (you need to restart and come back)
  • DONE!
Now if you have the previous folder configuration, then this should fix it for you immediately.
But if you are new user, then you need to re add the directory again (smb://YOUR server IP) and then go in and add each shared folder one by one.

Also on the step above I did setup the workgroup to be the same one as my server and also setup WINS server to the same IP address as my router/gateway.

That's it, hope this help.
Hope this help.
This is totally incorrect for Linux Kodi 19.0.  On UBUNTU and Endless OS (Debian Linux) there is no SMB protocol in settings -> Services to change the version of.  There is also no SMB connection options for videos, music, etc...  It's totally GONE!

All my shared drives are now inaccessible from Kodi 19.0 on these OSs.  It's not related to Samba versions or passwords.

My question is WHY!  And.. WHY is there such confusion on this?  It may work in Windows or Mac, but not Debian Linux builds.
Hello , Sorry I'm on Ubuntu Linux too and i have the menu to change the SMB settings in kodi 19.0 ... You just have to be in advanced or expert mode in settings menu. In basic and standard modes the SMB settings are not visible.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - kaufman - 2021-03-23

I've abandoned Kodi 19 on my Shield Pro due to the smb issues (nothing worked from the suggested fixes). Reverted back to 18.9 and smb worked first time. No issues.
Was also getting strange frame drops or micro stutter with playback on 19 (all settings were set correctly, refresh rate on etc).
Gone back to 18.9. Smooth as silk.
Will try Matrix again after a few revisions but currently it seems like a deeply flawed update on Android.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - MakinamiMari - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-23, 20:35)kaufman Wrote: I've abandoned Kodi 19 on my Shield Pro due to the smb issues (nothing worked from the suggested fixes). Reverted back to 18.9 and smb worked first time. No issues.
Was also getting strange frame drops or micro stutter with playback on 19 (all settings were set correctly, refresh rate on etc).
Will try Matrix again after a few revisions but currently it seems like a deeply flawed update on Android.

Use the following path when you add a new source:
/storage/SMB Shared Device Name/Shared Folder Name/

In my case, it looks something like this:
/storage/PC-Name/E/

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - kaufman - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-24, 12:26)MakinamiMari Wrote:
(2021-03-23, 20:35)kaufman Wrote: I've abandoned Kodi 19 on my Shield Pro due to the smb issues (nothing worked from the suggested fixes). Reverted back to 18.9 and smb worked first time. No issues.

/storage/PC-Name/E/

I already tried that.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - MakinamiMari - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-24, 18:19)kaufman Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 12:26)MakinamiMari Wrote:

/storage/PC-Name/E/

I already tried that.
You sure your Shield has successfully mounted the drives? Bear in mind the path is case sensative. If you are not certain you can try to add /storage/.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - kaufman - 2021-03-25

(2021-03-24, 23:56)MakinamiMari Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 18:19)kaufman Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 12:26)MakinamiMari Wrote: Use the following path when you add a new source:

/storage/PC-Name/E/

I already tried that.
You sure your Shield has successfully mounted the drives? Bear in mind the path is case sensative. If you are not certain you can try to add /storage/.

I just kept getting getting 'Error not permitted' no matter what i did. I tried entering the IP address, the shared folder name, the device name, various passwords including blank spaces and changing smb v1 and v3. Nothing worked. I loaded 18.9, didn't change any of the default settings. Entered my smb info and worked straight away. SMB is simply to my mind broken on 19. It shouldn't be a step backwards in terms of accessibility and connectivity.
I'll see if I can do what you suggested on my brother's Shield as he still has 19. Doesn't fix the frame drops issue though which is another reason I rolled back.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jg1395 - 2021-03-27

Anyone see the reviews on the Play Store?   Ouch....  Android to Linux NAS issues as well.

I got mine to work,  using v1 to v1 method.
Then a performing a full reboot. Not an app restart.
and then using the IP instead of the server name. 

MY issue before was not performing the full reboot.

For Keyboard Impaired Android Users:  Kodi Android Installer plugin can fetch old apk.
Turn off Auto Updates in Play Store

for NAS users:  Best to use something like Media Companion to write media XMLs & artwork locally, so when you rebuild your database, you always select use Local Files only.  Plus when new tablets come online, you just point it to the NAS, using the old apk of course

Using an IP vs a Server Name will destroy your old database that is no longer recoverable.

Kodi on android with a full rebuild (20 min) < the amount of time spent in this thread

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - frankey999 - 2021-03-31

I saw a post in this thread that mentioned, to stop auto-update, go to kodi/system/add-ons/update set to off.

I checked mine, and it was set to "notify, but don't update".

But I'm thinking, this is not for Kodi itself, is it?  It's only for Kodi add-ons.

So where would I change it so Kodi doesn't auto-update?

Someone else mentioned PlayStore.  When I go in there, there is no auto-update.  There  is a "disable" though, not sure if that's the same thing.

btw, I have the 2019 tube Shield.

Thanks for any hints.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - DarrenHill - 2021-03-31

The setting in the first line above will only affect updating of addons within Kodi. It is not for Kodi itself.

As has now been stated many times, Kodi itself does not auto-update. Any updates to the Kodi app are being done either by the Google Play Store, or whatever equivalent store or app manager is installed/configured on the device. You will need to go into the store app and disable auto-updating there.

The only thing Kodi itself can/will do is notify you when new versions are available (if the addon to do so is installed and enabled), but it will not do it for you.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - frankey999 - 2021-03-31

(2021-03-31, 18:07)DarrenHill Wrote: The setting in the first line above will only affect updating of addons within Kodi. It is not for Kodi itself.

As has now been stated many times, Kodi itself does not auto-update. Any updates to the Kodi app are being done either by the Google Play Store, or whatever equivalent store or app manager is installed/configured on the device. You will need to go into the store app and disable auto-updating there.

The only thing Kodi itself can/will do is notify you when new versions are available (if the addon to do so is installed and enabled), but it will not do it for you.

Thanks DarrenHill,

I'm still at a loss.  Like I said, I went into PlayStore, and there is nothing there that says "disable auto-update".  There is a "disable",but not sure what that is for?  Disable PlayStore?

"if the addon to do so is installed and enabled"

Where would you get that addon?  I wonder why Kodi itself couldn't just say, I have an update, do you wish to install?

Thanks again.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - DarrenHill - 2021-04-01

The version check addon in the official repo (in the service addons section).

As for Play Store, it's in the menu options of the Play Store app. Open the app, then select the menu (the three bar icon in the top-left corner of the screen) then settings and auto-update (on mine it's the third option down).

The disadvantage is that the auto-updates are all or nothing, so you have to disable them for everything and then go in manually to the my apps screen and update apps manually if you want them updated.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - drunken_prozac - 2021-04-02

*Ignore this, noticed the 'legacy security option'*

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - richardvi - 2021-04-02

Before reading these 15 pages, could someone mention the fix?

My situation: I have two Synology Disk stations, ONE being DS218 which still works, ONE being DS209II which stopped working with Kodi Matrix.

Is this still the correct solution? Settings -> Services -> SMBclient -> Minimum = V1, Maximum = V3