Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - frankey999 - 2021-04-02

(2021-04-01, 09:23)DarrenHill Wrote: The version check addon in the official repo (in the service addons section).

As for Play Store, it's in the menu options of the Play Store app. Open the app, then select the menu (the three bar icon in the top-left corner of the screen) then settings and auto-update (on mine it's the third option down).

The disadvantage is that the auto-updates are all or nothing, so you have to disable them for everything and then go in manually to the my apps screen and update apps manually if you want them updated.
Got it.

Thanks DarrenHill.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - HelloWorld434 - 2021-04-04

The vast majority of Kodi users utilize a device where the Google Play Store automatically updates Kodi - it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

SMB is broken in v19. VLC has managed to get this working, hopefully Kodi can do the same.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-04-04

(2021-04-04, 17:13)HelloWorld434 Wrote: The vast majority of Kodi users utilize a device where the Google Play Store automatically updates Kodi - it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

SMB is broken in v19. VLC has managed to get this working, hopefully Kodi can do the same.
It's not broken, it just takes a different setup
I have got it working on 3 boxes now, almost the very same as before, just different.

Check my previous posts.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - MakinamiMari - 2021-04-05

(2021-03-25, 08:23)kaufman Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 23:56)MakinamiMari Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 18:19)kaufman Wrote: I already tried that.
You sure your Shield has successfully mounted the drives? Bear in mind the path is case sensative. If you are not certain you can try to add /storage/.

I just kept getting getting 'Error not permitted' no matter what i did. I tried entering the IP address, the shared folder name, the device name, various passwords including blank spaces and changing smb v1 and v3. Nothing worked. I loaded 18.9, didn't change any of the default settings. Entered my smb info and worked straight away. SMB is simply to my mind broken on 19. It shouldn't be a step backwards in terms of accessibility and connectivity.
I'll see if I can do what you suggested on my brother's Shield as he still has 19. Doesn't fix the frame drops issue though which is another reason I rolled back.

Surely my reply only applied to those who use Shield SMB mounting rather than those who mounted SMB drives in Kodi. I am surprised people are using Kodi to mount SMB when they don’t have to.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - HelloWorld434 - 2021-04-05

I stand corrected - SMB does work. You have to go to the 'Add Network Location' portion and you can add the IP address + username/password there. It's working great for me - THANK YOU. 

The prompt to select the SMB share is not what you want. You need to go to add network location and then select SMB for the protocol. This way works.

I put my money where my mouth is and donated $15 - I am super pleased that Kodi has a functioning fast forward / fast rewind button. I've been looking forward this feature for a dedicated Android / Google TV app for the newest Chromecast and I finally found it in Kodi.

Thank you!

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - buzzin - 2021-04-13

I was finally able to solve this by creating a new user.

Nobody mentioned this, but check in your windows 10 event viewer for login failures, or as they say it, "audit failure".  (event viewer -> windows logs/security).

I was putting the exact user name as it says in the windows 10 start menu, and the correct password, but this never worked and it was generating those events.  Creating a new "local" user, and then going in the shared folder properties and adding this user to the access list solved it.  

This was for an android phone Kodi 19 to read Win10 shared folder.    SMB settings in settings/services/SMB client are SMBv2 to SMBv3.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - sydrooster - 2021-04-13

I've signed up specifically for this issue. My upgrade to matrix went OK and my SMB shares just continued to work and access with my favourites shortcuts in Kodi. This week out of nowhere they have broken. So i go into Files to check on the network media sources and its not showing the SMB shares, and no matter what i have tried to add them i just get different errors. No combination of the PC/Share name, IP address, both etc will work. The SMB shares work fine via other APPs like Tivimate. 

Somehow Kodi is still seeing my NAS, although i cant see or browse it as a network source but still available via the favourites shortcuts. 

This is doing my head in. I've spent hours trying to sort it out. Never had any problems adding smb shares to Kodi in past years. I've tried many things listed here (different login, smbv1, not using direct ip, using direct ip etc) as well and none seem to have worked.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - buzzin - 2021-04-13

I was able too at least see the directories using windows computer name, but this did not work for "updating library".

I installed the log viewer addon in Kodi, and looking at the log, it was full of "my-pc" could not be resolved (or something) messages.  So, removing those names sources, and adding new ones with ip address only, and fixing android boxes ip on the router, I was finally able to get it to scan.  Still terribly slow, though.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-04-13

(2021-04-13, 17:41)buzzin Wrote: it was full of "my-pc" could not be resolved (or something) messages.

if you are using hostnames instead of IP addresses, then that may be a problem with SMBv2. I'm not a network expert, it's just a brainfart that popped up.
In general, computer servers in my experience are better off anyway with IP addresses instead of hostnames.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-04-13

(2021-04-13, 19:33)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-04-13, 17:41)buzzin Wrote: it was full of "my-pc" could not be resolved (or something) messages.

if you are using hostnames instead of IP addresses, then that may be a problem with SMBv2. I'm not a network expert, it's just a brainfart that popped up.
In general, computer servers in my experience are better off anyway with IP addresses instead of hostnames.
Using the windows device name works fine.
Using an IP# involves setting up a static IP and that is a pain.
I have set up 6 boxes now with device name, read previous posts of mine.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - sydrooster - 2021-04-14

(2021-04-13, 20:49)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-04-13, 19:33)Klojum Wrote:

Hi buddy i did scan through looking at your responses and i did not see anything you had done that i had not but the devil could be in the detail if you don't mind re-posting or showing a screenshot of how you added? I feel very foolish it must be something simple given its worked easily for so many years until now.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - aalive - 2021-04-14

Kodi team resolved the smb share not shown in Shield TV issue (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19523) a week ago and the development build can show shield tv smb share as it was with Leia.
I installed the development build for Matrx (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm64-v8a/Matrix/) and it works fine.
Hope to have official release with this fix soon. But so far, for two days, I have no issue with the development build( kodi-20210411-0d1f616c-Matrix-arm64-v8a.apk ).

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-04-14

(2021-04-14, 09:34)sydrooster Wrote:
(2021-04-13, 20:49)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-04-13, 19:33)Klojum Wrote: if you are using hostnames instead of IP addresses, then that may be a problem with SMBv2. I'm not a network expert, it's just a brainfart that popped up.
Hi buddy i did scan through looking at your responses and i did not see anything you had done that i had not but the devil could be in the detail if you don't mind re-posting or showing a screenshot of how you added? I feel very foolish it must be something simple given its worked easily for so many years until now.
Check SMB Client settings under Services and make sure Min version is SMB1, you'll then never need to touch that again.

After that:

1. Add source

2. Browse

3. Add network location

4. Set server name to the Computer name ( no need to use ip address)

5.i. If share does not have a password:

Select username add any letter you want
Select password add any letter you want

5.ii. If share does have password protection use the account credentials of the user on pc assigned to share.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gulian - 2021-04-15

(2021-04-14, 10:35)aalive Wrote: Kodi team resolved the smb share not shown in Shield TV issue (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19523) a week ago and the development build can show shield tv smb share as it was with Leia.
I installed the development build for Matrx (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm64-v8a/Matrix/) and it works fine.
Hope to have official release with this fix soon. But so far, for two days, I have no issue with the development build( kodi-20210411-0d1f616c-Matrix-arm64-v8a.apk ).
Thank you for the information. This is good news

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - davefromcamp - 2021-05-03

Anyone else have issues with their library? I have been running XBMC/KODI forever. I run all my media off my NAS. Static IP, and a mysql database to keep what was watched and where you are synced across all my devices. I had a sweet little XML advancedsettings and sources file that when I'd install Kodi on a firestick/computer/shield I'd drop in those 2 files and my library and sources would be all done. Easy. Now after seeing the solutions up here, my android TV, or shield, kodi library doesn't work. Just installed on my Win10 laptop to verify where the problem was, and everything works perfect, so must not be a library issue on the NAS.

I can access the movie/tv/media files from Kodi if I go through the files option (movies then .. then files and there is my smb share with every file). This way of watching things is very annoying with multiple clicks. The library selection does not work. It draws from the mysql database just fine as "recently added" and a movie's progress are the same. 

I did the SMB from 0 to 1 "trick" that has been described here. The way I use kodi is like a plex server really. I have enjoyed kodi so never thought to change. This recent update really caused frustration.

Is there another dumb option that has to be "enabled" on Kodi 19? I tend not to update until x.2 and they figure this crap out but shield auto updated.