Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - rhavrijn - 2021-07-06

(2021-02-20, 10:35)pellajl Wrote: Before the upgrade to Matrix, I was able to access all my media files on my NAS.

After the upgrade, Kodi (Android) no longer can see netwok resources using SMB. In previous versions, you would see "WORKGROUP" and then drill down to the resource you wanted.

If you select the file shortcut that were migrated from V18, you get the the error "Software caused connection aborted".

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix in the pipeline?
same here on my mediaplayer withe Andrios 6.01, it works on my Synology diskstation, and NOT on my Seagate NAS, so if someone  knows a fix, please...... i dont want to downgrade

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - rafi1 - 2021-07-06

(2021-07-06, 15:36)rhavrijn Wrote:
(2021-02-20, 10:35)pellajl Wrote: Before the upgrade to Matrix, I was able to access all my media files on my NAS.

After the upgrade, Kodi (Android) no longer can see netwok resources using SMB. In previous versions, you would see "WORKGROUP" and then drill down to the resource you wanted.

If you select the file shortcut that were migrated from V18, you get the the error "Software caused connection aborted".

same here on my mediaplayer withe Andrios 6.01, it works on my Synology diskstation, and NOT on my Seagate NAS, so if someone  knows a fix, please...... i dont want to downgrade
A workaround  has been already suggested. Read the thread.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - 720p - 2021-08-13

(2021-07-06, 16:53)rafi1 Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 15:36)rhavrijn Wrote:

I've had vers 18, on my Sony TV and worked ok. Unfortunately, the app was auto-updated to vers 19.1, with all the SMB related issues. 
Enabled SMB min ver 1 and max vers 3, still not working. VLC , on the same machine is able to browse successfully the shares and play from it.
Shares are supplied by a raspberry box with anonymous access.
So the workaround is not universal, we have  bug on this. I'll try grab some debugging logs from it

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - rafi1 - 2021-08-14

(2021-08-13, 19:54)720p Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 16:53)rafi1 Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 15:36)rhavrijn Wrote: same here on my mediaplayer withe Andrios 6.01, it works on my Synology diskstation, and NOT on my Seagate NAS, so if someone  knows a fix, please...... i dont want to downgrade
I've had vers 18, on my Sony TV and worked ok. Unfortunately, the app was auto-updated to vers 19.1, with all the SMB related issues. 
Enabled SMB min ver 1 and max vers 3, still not working. VLC , on the same machine is able to browse successfully the shares and play from it.
Shares are supplied by a raspberry box with anonymous access.
So the workaround is not universal, we have  bug on this. I'll try grab some debugging logs from it

> A workaround  has been already suggested. Read the thread.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360606&pid=3047025#pid3047025

Sadly the devs do not seem to be willing to fix it  Sad
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/16107#issuecomment-788630905

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-08-14

(2021-08-14, 07:16)rafi1 Wrote: Sadly the devs do not seem to be willing to fix it 

Yeah, that's probably the one and only reason. /sarcasm

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - rafi1 - 2021-08-14

(2021-08-14, 07:33)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-08-14, 07:16)rafi1 Wrote: Sadly the devs do not seem to be willing to fix it 

Yeah, that's probably the one and only reason. /sarcasm
There are 259 posts here that point to this backward incompatibility/regression/"root cause", so yes... IMHO Tongue

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-08-14

(2021-08-14, 07:43)rafi1 Wrote: There are 259 posts here that point to this backward incompatibility/regression/"root cause"

I'm sure you've read all of them.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - djgrind - 2021-08-29

(2021-08-14, 07:52)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-08-14, 07:43)rafi1 Wrote: There are 259 posts here that point to this backward incompatibility/regression/"root cause"

I'm sure you've read all of them.

I have.....and still can't get smb going again on 19 (nvidia shield)
Sad still tinkering 5 hours later.

EDIT/UPDATE.
Ok...so this is what I can CONFIRM WORKS on Kodi 19.1, nvidia shield via windows 8.1
- Smb1 min/smb 3 max
- IP method BUT you don't need it static and don't need to make a 2nd user.
- use you current pc user AND password (must use name and pw or it won't work)
That's what I can confirm works for me after HOURS of work.
I would have liked a direct path instead of IP but this is what works if u have a shield.
THE END.
Ps. I have read every single post in this thread!

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - msyeed - 2021-10-04

I too have an old SMB 1 device as my media NAS. I was able to get it "working" using the above methods both in Kodi and in VLC on my Android TV, latest everything. Initial load of any media is slower than normal. With certain media types, (mainly DVD menus) I have stuttering -- but once the main program starts, everything's suddenly and oddly fine. I can skip around and it rebuffers near instantly. Everything's great.

But...

Eventually, and never during playback, the drive will disappear. I'll get "Playback failed" when trying to play a different file from my library, and "Error: Software caused connection abort" followed by "Remote share: Couldn't connect to network server" if I try to browse or scan the drive. While in this state, nothing can access the drive, not other apps on the Android TV system, nor any other device on the same network.

If I wait long enough, the problem goes away on its own. But make enough access calls via Kodi (loading or scanning a larger folder in the file browser brings on the problem rapidly, for example) and it will return. None of the other devices on the net, including an older Android/Kodi combo, cause this issue.

Is there some setting unique to Android TV that could be trying to make each access request as a new connection or too rapidly or some such and overloading my NAS? It's not just a SMB1 problem as all the devices are using SMB1 to access it and only the Kodi 19/Android TV triggers the issue.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Zuikkis - 2021-10-08

When I was running Kodi 19.1 on my Sony TV, I couldn't get SMB working either. However in the file requester there was "zeroconf" option which actually worked, I could even browse to my shares through that.

Now I have Shield Pro. I haven't tried SMB mounting inside Kodi, instead I mounted everything globally in Shield settings.. works nicely. You need to add the NAS permission if you want write access, that wasn't instantly obvious.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - killerbreu - 2021-10-10

Working in Sony Tv - Smb 2, Smb 3

1. Add source

2. Browse

3. Add network location

4. Set ip address

5. Set fake username: adm and password: adm

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Victoare - 2021-11-27

Hi Guys!
Just wanted to share an interesting behaviour/solution for a somewhat same situation.
The system is: Win2019 server with smb2, shares protected with user+password, Chromecast with google TV and Kodi 19.3.
Fresh installation, set up everything with the default SMB Client settings, no biggie, everything worked just fine.

Just for fun I set the minimum smb version from none to SMBv2 in the smb client section and all hell broke loose.
Share no longel accessable with "Operation not permitted" error. (did not add the share again, it just stopped working right away)
Removed the share from kodi, added again. Still not working.
Exit/restart kodi, chromecast. Nope.
Okay, thought I. Enough with the experiment. Settings/SMB Client minimum version set back to none and it should work.
But it did not.
I tried many things:
- exit/restart kodi, chromecast, server
- removed the share from kodi, added again
- checked the share acces from another machine (worked fine, from windows, and from android as well)
- tried with ip, domain name, with and without share name. no help.
I was in the brink of remove and reinstall kodi, but tried one more thing:
In smb client settings i hit "Reset these values to default"
To be fair, at that point during the tests and tryouts it is may be at minimum version v2, but it seemingly just set it back to "none".
And lo and behold it started to work again.

So long storry short: Set back to "none" did not work, but resetting values did.

I don't really know what internal values it may reset as well other than the ones accessible in the ui, but it probably did something.

I hope it will help somebody, or it will shed a light on some internal bug maybe, but i tried my best to share my expreiences.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - rafi1 - 2021-11-27

(2021-11-27, 12:58)Victoare Wrote: Hi Guys!
[...]

So long storry short: Set back to "none" did not work, but resetting values did.

I don't really know what internal values it may reset as well other than the ones accessible in the ui, but it probably did something.

I hope it will help somebody, or it will shed a light on some internal bug maybe, but i tried my best to share my expreiences.
Thanks for sharing! Let's see what the dev team has to say about your findings, and if it is the same for previous 19.x releases, or just a regression with 19.3 .

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - blunden - 2021-12-08

(2021-11-27, 12:58)Victoare Wrote: [...]
The system is: Win2019 server with smb2, shares protected with user+password, Chromecast with google TV and Kodi 19.3.

Just for fun I set the minimum smb version from none to SMBv2 in the smb client section and all hell broke loose.
[...]

It's weird that you are having issues with SMB v2 or v3 with a Windows server. For me, Kodi happily negotiates SMB dialect 3.11 for me against a share on Windows 11 if I set the minimum to SMB v3.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-12-08

@rafi1 @blunden

You really need to quote _entire_ posts for just a single line of response..?
I don't know about you two, but having to scroll thru endless/useless quotes on a forum until you find the actual reply is pretty annoying.