Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - blunden - 2021-12-08

@Klojum Fair enough. I usually try to cut out part of the quoted text if only part of it is relevant but his entire post was about his SMB issue so I didn't. I trimmed it down a bit now though. Smile

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - DavidMcGuire - 2021-12-08

My chef matrix build menu won’t open here is the logfile https://paste.kodi.tv/ugamulelag
Does anyone have a fix?

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-12-08

(2021-12-08, 13:55)blunden Wrote: I usually try to cut out part of the quoted text if only part of it is relevant

There is a quicker way for that: select the text in a post that you actually want to reply to with your mouse (or finger, on touch screens), and click/tap on the appearing "Reply" bar under the post. That selection will be pasted into your reply box. Wink

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-12-08

(2021-12-08, 14:08)DavidMcGuire Wrote: My chef matrix build menu won’t open here

Your Kodi setup is infested with piracy add-ons, and also because you are using a "build", as per our forum rules (wiki) (which you really should read), we are not going to touch your Kodi setup in any way.
You can find your support with the developer(s) responsible for your mess. Good luck!

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gquiring - 2021-12-09

I 'thought' I would be safe finally upgrading from 18.9 to 19.3 today on my Shield Pro 2019.  What a huge mistake that was.  SMB does not work.  I use Synology DSM 6.x for my SMB sharing.  I changed the SMB v1 (was set to None) to v1.  You would think the devs would have at least fixed that for the 19.3 release when you upgrade!  

What do I have to change so I don't have to rebuild my library.  I don't understand what the issue is, there are so many answers in this thread what fix worked for some and not others.  All my SMB shares have passwords that worked fine with 18.9.  So what's the magic trick here to get this going?

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gquiring - 2021-12-10

I gave up, several hours of trying this and that in this thread and all I got of it was frustration.

This is getting old guys.  The devs clearly don't give a hoot about Android/SMB, the 19.3 release should have resolved these issues!!  It's not beta anymore.  I recall having SMB issues on my Samsung tablet a few years ago and I had to sideload an earlier version and then lock it out from getting updates because SMB no longer worked. They insisted it worked fine and when I loaded the prior version everything worked.  After seeing all the issues in this thread and they can't fix it on main stream devices like a Shield and Synology!!

So I enabled NFS on my Synology NAS systems and decided to remove the Kodi install entirely and start over.  Can't wait to see what else doesn't work.

Very disappointed

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-12-10

(2021-12-10, 03:23)gquiring Wrote: Can't wait to see what else doesn't work.

What a charming and heartwarming statement. Continue to shout out false accusations about TeamKodi's hoot, and perhaps your forum account is next. We don't quit after 4 hours, progress is sometimes slow but we're still here after some 20 years.

Without a dedicated Android developer in the Team for some time now, things are sometimes slow and/or a hit and miss, especially when there is outside interference from Microsoft (changes in SMB requirements) and Synology (DSM7 has its own pickles as well). It's a reverse-engineering game that is not always easy for software that has to run on "everyone's hardware". For free.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-12-10

(2021-12-10, 03:23)gquiring Wrote: I gave up, several hours of trying this and that in this thread and all I got of it was frustration.

Did you try following following the official guidance at

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=362115

and

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=362113

I have all my servers setup for SMB v3 and have had zero problems with SMB using Win10, Qnap, & Synology as servers. The only thing I haven't tested myself is trying to use SMB v1 but no person should be using this anyway due to the vulnerabilities it contains.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-12-10

By the way this should all be much easier again in v20 as network browsing for SMB shares should be working again due to the implementation of a new method. However as it's a very intrusive change it wlll be a v20 feature only and won't be added to any v19 point releases.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gquiring - 2021-12-10

(2021-12-10, 12:16)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-12-10, 03:23)gquiring Wrote: I gave up, several hours of trying this and that in this thread and all I got of it was frustration.

and

I have all my servers setup for SMB v3 and have had zero problems with SMB using Win10, Qnap, & Synology as servers. The only thing I haven't tested myself is trying to use SMB v1 but no person should be using this anyway due to the vulnerabilities it contains.
The first thing I did was follow those links.  It did not work.  I tried several times and rebooted everything a few times.  NFS is working so I'm ok now but considering how large this thread is and v19 is on it's third release these problems should have been resolved by now.  It's getting a bit old with Kodi and SMB issues, it's time they get their act together.  The fact that the .3 release didn't fix the None issue where it should have been set to SMB v1 in the services menu shows me their lack of interest in getting SMB straightened out.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Punchbuggy - 2021-12-11

(2021-12-09, 23:50)gquiring Wrote: I 'thought' I would be safe finally upgrading from 18.9 to 19.3 today on my Shield Pro 2019.  What a huge mistake that was.  SMB does not work.  I use Synology DSM 6.x for my SMB sharing.  I changed the SMB v1 (was set to None) to v1.  You would think the devs would have at least fixed that for the 19.3 release when you upgrade!  

I'm not clear on what does not work for you, but I started having issues with playback of media from my Netgear NAS connected to my Shield via SMB shares once I upgraded to Matrix (19.0). The playback issues stuck through to .3, and then I started getting "SMB connection too slow" messages.

I then decided to do something drastic - I cleared the KODI app data and cache within Android which effectively returned KODI to default settings, and that also blew away my built library. I then mounted my NAS directly on the Shield as external storage, virgin KODI saw all of NAS shares immediately on start up, and I pointed my KODI media library there as appropriate (videos, TV shows, music, and pictures). Yes, it took a while to rebuild the library but it got there. I obviously had to configure KODI settings back again too, but I've spent sooooo much time there since Matrix that it wasn't hard. Mostly OK since, although it's still delicate on RW/Play actions.

I just read above about a new approach in v20, and I'm looking forward to seeing if that addresses my residial play issues. My thanks to the KODI crew for continuing to work on this app.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Dumyat - 2021-12-11

(2021-12-10, 12:16)jjd-uk Wrote:

and
@jjd-uk 
For what it's worth, I used both of these links last week. I was up and running with my smb connection within a few minutes.
Excellent guide and very well written.  Smile
Very much appreciated...
Cheers

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - blunden - 2021-12-11

(2021-12-10, 12:16)jjd-uk Wrote: I have all my servers setup for SMB v3 and have had zero problems with SMB using Win10, Qnap, & Synology as servers. The only thing I haven't tested myself is trying to use SMB v1 but no person should be using this anyway due to the vulnerabilities it contains.
Same here. Smile Kodi happily negotiates higher SMB versions (which generally means improved performance, besides massively improved security) if properly configured on the server side. People should blame their NAS vendors for sticking to only supporting ancient protocol versions, not Kodi. The versions of Samba used on those devices probably contain a fair number of vulnerabilities too.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gquiring - 2021-12-22

(2021-12-11, 00:48)Punchbuggy Wrote:
(2021-12-09, 23:50)gquiring Wrote: I 'thought' I would be safe finally upgrading from 18.9 to 19.3 today on my Shield Pro 2019.  What a huge mistake that was.  SMB does not work.  I use Synology DSM 6.x for my SMB sharing.  I changed the SMB v1 (was set to None) to v1.  You would think the devs would have at least fixed that for the 19.3 release when you upgrade!  

I'm not clear on what does not work for you, but I started having issues with playback of media from my Netgear NAS connected to my Shield via SMB shares once I upgraded to Matrix (19.0). The playback issues stuck through to .3, and then I started getting "SMB connection too slow" messages.

I then decided to do something drastic - I cleared the KODI app data and cache within Android which effectively returned KODI to default settings, and that also blew away my built library. I then mounted my NAS directly on the Shield as external storage, virgin KODI saw all of NAS shares immediately on start up, and I pointed my KODI media library there as appropriate (videos, TV shows, music, and pictures). Yes, it took a while to rebuild the library but it got there. I obviously had to configure KODI settings back again too, but I've spent sooooo much time there since Matrix that it wasn't hard. Mostly OK since, although it's still delicate on RW/Play actions.

I just read above about a new approach in v20, and I'm looking forward to seeing if that addresses my residial play issues. My thanks to the KODI crew for continuing to work on this app.
I went one further, I removed Kodi and started over.  SMB refused to connect.  I set the SMB to v1,v2,v3 rebooted each time nothing would connect to my Synology NAS.  NFS worked fine so I'm done messing it.  But the Dolby Vision external player does not work with NFS!  What a mess.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - monkeylove - 2022-03-07

I've a similar problem accessing Win 10 and Popcorn Hour (an old player used as a server) folders.

With Kodi 19.3,

Min - none or SMBv1
Max - SMBv3

Popcorn Hour not accessible, Win 10 accessible

Min - SMBv1
Max - SMBv1
legacy security on

Popcorn Hour accessible, Win 10 not accessible

Kodi 18.9

no problems with default (Min - none, Max - SMBv3)