Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - DarrenHill - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-23, 16:36)wpbpete Wrote: Or... they can hurry up and fix the problem  Wink

Browsing is only available via SMB1, so there is no fix possible other than re-enabling that, with all the inherent security risks that are involved in doing so (look for Wannacry on your search engine of choice for examples of that).

SMB1 was depreciated for good reason in favour of SMB2 and SMB3, but those latter two do not have browsing capabilities.

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - dpw2atox - 2021-02-23

But why can't you see drives that are mapped on an Nvidia Shield in android? Those are SMB3 (i believe) and mounted at the OS level, Kodi 17-18.x worked fine viewing them.

If they're already mapped and mounted, then they should be visible under the videos > files menu. You don't need to connect to them as external sources, as if already mapped they will be considered as internal sources.

If you can see them that way, then to include content from them into your library, go to the folder that you want to include as the root of your source, and then via the context menu choose "change content" and select the appropriate type (movies, tv shows etc) and they should then be scrapped into the library.

That's the issue though DarrenHill, they are mapped and mounted at the OS level, i have the shares behind a username/password but in Kodi the videos, files menu is empty. In previous versions of Kodi the share would show up automatically but since I was updated to Kodi 19, that isnt the case. It's simply blank with the option to add video.

Odd - I presume if you access them at the OS level you can see the content?

If you add them as SMB shares using add video > browse > add network location (do not use the SMB option under browse) and then set up the SMB share there with your username/password, can you access the files properly that way?

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - sjaakvg - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-22, 23:35)face-plants Wrote: Okay, I got the smb shares working finally.
First, check in settings - services - smb service set minimum version to v1 and maximum to v3 as others have said.

Then go to add library sources
-Hit browse then choose "Add Network Location"
(Browsing the network for SMB shares does not work anymore so you have to enter the settings manually)

-Choose Windows network SMB as the protocol
-For server name, enter the IP address of your NAS or file server (Entering the computer name did not work)
-Enter the username and password if you have password protected file sharing enabled
- leave shared folder blank at first to test. You can browse all the shares on the machine afterwards to your library

I was able to remove the user account password and it continued to work and I never had password protected sharing turned on.

This workt for me also but only computer name as server no IP needed thank you all

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - mr_chencho - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-20, 19:18)edsib1 Wrote:
(2021-02-20, 17:44)HairBear Wrote:
(2021-02-20, 10:35)pellajl Wrote: Before the upgrade to Matrix, I was able to access all my media files on my NAS.

After the upgrade, Kodi (Android) no longer can see netwok resources using SMB. In previous versions, you would see "WORKGROUP" and then drill down to the resource you wanted.

If you select the file shortcut that were migrated from V18, you get the the error "Software caused connection aborted".

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix in the pipeline?
Settings -> Services -> SMBclient -> Minimum = V1, Maximum = V1.

Settings -> Services -> SMBclient -> Minimum = V1, Maximum = V3

If you leave the minimum at 0 it doesn't seem to pickup the range correctly. Just looks like a bug in the code.

Yup, this solves the problem of old SMB servers/NAS.   Many thanks.........

(2021-02-23, 18:04)DarrenHill Wrote: Odd - I presume if you access them at the OS level you can see the content?

If you add them as SMB shares using add video > browse > add network location (do not use the SMB option under browse) and then set up the SMB share there with your username/password, can you access the files properly that way?

On the shield yes I can see the mounts. The only way I can get them mounted in Kodi is by adding the network location, set it to SMB, put in the IP then username/password but this has its own issues. There are some documented issues with the shield tvs when you mount shares through kodi, leads to playback issues with random buffering and stuttering of the video. The work around was to mount the shares directly to the shield and browse them through Kodi instead of mapping them in kodi. That's why i'd like to see if its possible to get this feature back. For now I have to use VLC which works perfectly fine though I miss a lot of the functionality Kodi offers.

One thing you might try is adding the username/password to the passwords.xml file that you should find in your userdata (wiki) folder.

I don't own a shield so I can't do any testing, but if it's an issue with credentials then adding them in there might help. But that's about the only thing I can think of, as it's not a scenario I personally use to give any experience on.

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - dpw2atox - 2021-02-24

Well what I ended up doing was i uninstalled Kodi 19, turned off auto updates, installed solid explorer, download Kodi 18.9s apk, put it on my Nas, browsed my NAS through solid explorer and sideloaded Kodi 18.9 on all 3 of my shield tvs. Finally everything is working again without any issues. I really hope someone with some Android development experience takes over the dev work on Kodi's android branch and is able to fix this. 

As a summary for anyone curious, the issues are:
-Kodi no longer recognizes network mounts done on a Shield TV through the OS
-Kodi can no longer browse the network over SMB (this I was told was due to dropping support for SMB v1)
-Kodi can't read the none value for the minimum smb version (the fix for this is to change the setting under settings, services, smbclient, minimum samba version set to V1 instead of None)
-You can map a shared folder by using the IP and entering the folders, username/password (passwords are now required under Kodi 19) BUT when you go this route, the video will randomly just stop playing and close bringing you back to the Kodi interface.

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - rontonomo - 2021-02-24

always disable auto-updates in play store

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - stryfe2010 - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-24, 01:09)dpw2atox Wrote: Well what I ended up doing was i uninstalled Kodi 19, turned off auto updates, installed solid explorer, download Kodi 18.9s apk, put it on my Nas, browsed my NAS through solid explorer and sideloaded Kodi 18.9 on all 3 of my shield tvs. Finally everything is working again without any issues. I really hope someone with some Android development experience takes over the dev work on Kodi's android branch and is able to fix this. 

As a summary for anyone curious, the issues are:
-Kodi no longer recognizes network mounts done on a Shield TV through the OS
-Kodi can no longer browse the network over SMB (this I was told was due to dropping support for SMB v1)
-Kodi can't read the none value for the minimum smb version (the fix for this is to change the setting under settings, services, smbclient, minimum samba version set to V1 instead of None)
-You can map a shared folder by using the IP and entering the folders, username/password (passwords are now required under Kodi 19) BUT when you go this route, the video will randomly just stop playing and close bringing you back to the Kodi interface.
Yeah I had to do the same thing on my firestick. Rolled back to 18.9 and my smb share works again. I tried setting smb to min v1 max v3 and when I tried to select my share it would pop up with network disconnected. Rolled back to 18.9 and everything works as it should.

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - DazzaJay - 2021-02-24

This is shocking. On my TCL P65US Android TV.
Have tried Changing the SMB From 0 to 1. No effect.
Have changed from SMB Names to IP Addresses. Same error when trying to access my NAS. "Operation Not Supported"
Have tried rolling back to 18.9 - After restoring my database, ALL Addons no longer work, not even Confluence but network shares work.

This is unacceptable. The update broke the ONLY thing i use Kodi For, and Rolling back ade kodi completley unusable.

Looks like i now can only access my NAS from my TV Through VLC.

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-23, 17:24)dpw2atox Wrote: But why can't you see drives that are mapped on an Nvidia Shield in android? Those are SMB3 (i believe) and mounted at the OS level, Kodi 17-18.x worked fine viewing them.

It could be an Android issue, v19 is built with a new Android SDK and Goggle have been increasing security for accessing local drives so it maybe that the API's (or we need to use a newe/different API) no longer allows us to detect those automatically. When you select "Add videos" under Files and select Browse do they then appear in the list provided?

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - dpw2atox - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-24, 14:26)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-02-23, 17:24)dpw2atox Wrote: But why can't you see drives that are mapped on an Nvidia Shield in android? Those are SMB3 (i believe) and mounted at the OS level, Kodi 17-18.x worked fine viewing them.

It could be an Android issue, v19 is built with a new Android SDK and Goggle have been increasing security for accessing local drives so it maybe that the API's (or we need to use a newe/different API) no longer allows us to detect those automatically. When you select "Add videos" under Files and select Browse do they then appear in the list provided?

When I go to the videos directory, all it says is Add videos, previously the mounts would automatically show up there. If I go to Add videos, they are not listed there, it shows the standard options, NFS, SMB, Zeroconf, etc but the mounts aren't there either. Using solid explorer for example, it automatically shows the mounts under file systems similar to how Kodi 18.x and lower would automatically show the mounts.