Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - kasmca - 2021-02-26

I have the same problem after upgrading from 18.9 to 19.  

I was able to get my videos to play through existing SMB maps by going into Video -> Files -> <mapped folder>.  It prompted me to enter a username and password.  I never used one before.  I entered  <space> for each and that got it working.   However, when I relaunch Kodi, the problem comes back and I need to do this fix each time.  

Does anyone else have this issue?  Does your fix work even after your relaunch Kodi?

EDIT: silly me, forgot to hit the toggle to save the setting for the future.

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - ender4772 - 2021-02-26

(2021-02-22, 04:53)Juanjoy Wrote:
(2021-02-20, 10:35)pellajl Wrote: Before the upgrade to Matrix, I was able to access all my media files on my NAS.

After the upgrade, Kodi (Android) no longer can see netwok resources using SMB. In previous versions, you would see "WORKGROUP" and then drill down to the resource you wanted.

If you select the file shortcut that were migrated from V18, you get the the error "Software caused connection aborted".

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix in the pipeline?

Hello. I had the same problem you describe after updating. What I did and it worked for me was the following. Go to settings. Services. SMB client. Minimum protocol version you must change "none" to SMBv1

Just wanted to say that I used this same solution to fix my issue connecting to SMB Shares.

Had Kodi version older than v19 that I sideloaded on my old Shield TV, I think it was added to play store and then that auto updated it to v19, then could not connect to SMBv1 shares on my Synology NAS. I will say that I did already have username and password creds used for my shares.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - sddjd - 2021-02-26

Considering how long the SMB issue has been occurring the lesson here is to religiously disable auto updates. Hard to believe this was released with no notices or other HEADLINE release notes that those of us functioning quite happily on SMBv1 would lose all functionality. That this thread was marked resolved on page 2 (now up to 7 pages)......

Now to track down a way to revert to 18.9.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - DarrenHill - 2021-02-26

Just be aware that both SMB1 and Python 2 (which Kodi Leia and earlier versions use) are both depreciated, and SMB1 has major exposed, exploited and unfixed security issues (web search "wannacry" for details).

So whilst you can continue to use the older products, you are making the implicit choice to continue to use unsupported and depreciated elements which will quite potentially expose your devices, network and any information held on them to security risks. The choice and assessment of those risks are of course yours to make.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - flomartin - 2021-02-26

Same problem here.

I use a Nvidia Shield, and my movies are stored on a Windows 10 computer. I share the movies within folders without password. Everything was fine with Kodi 18.x.

I tried to switch the minimum SMB share to 1, I tried to navigate to my files using an IP address, it didn't work.

I tried to enter a fake user name/password to see if that helped, without success.

The only workaround I found was to force SMB 1 and select legacy security...

I'm sure there must be a way to make it work with SMB 3, but I didn't succeed...

Any idea ? Thanks Smile

@flomartin - SMB2 and SMB3 need username and password to work - anonymous access is no longer possible.

Simplest way to do that is to make a limited local user on your Windows 10 machine, and give it access permissions to wherever you have stored your media on the machine.

Then in Kodi, under add videos use browse and then add network locations at the bottom (do NOT use the Windows Network (SMB) option). In that set the address of your Windows server machine, the username/password credentials of the local user you set up above and the shared folder name of the share (or leave that blank, as once you connect to the server you can then browse locally within it, it's only browsing for the server itself on your network that SMB2/3 do not support).

That should add a link to your server as a location, and you can then use that to set up a source in the normal way.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Steamkittens - 2021-02-26

(2021-02-26, 10:45)flomartin Wrote: Same problem here.

I use a Nvidia Shield, and my movies are stored on a Windows 10 computer. I share the movies within folders without password. Everything was fine with Kodi 18.x.

I tried to switch the minimum SMB share to 1, I tried to navigate to my files using an IP address, it didn't work.

I tried to enter a fake user name/password to see if that helped, without success.

The only workaround I found was to force SMB 1 and select legacy security...

I'm sure there must be a way to make it work with SMB 3, but I didn't succeed...

Any idea ? Thanks Smile
I have the exact same setup i would love a step-by-step of how u got it working I enabled smb1 as a minimum again but am still getting nowhere Sad

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Phillinger - 2021-02-26

Same problem here: SMB-shares on a Windows 10 machine, Nvidia Shield (2019), Kodi Update from 18.9 to 19.0 -> no connection possible anymore.

I deactivated SMB1 long before (since Wannacry). And authentication with username/password also already worked fine so far.

So I activated logging in kodi and found the following error:

https://paste.kodi.tv/raw/aqegotatir

:
OpenDir: Using authentication url smb://USERNAME:[email protected]/Media

As we can see, resolving the hostname to an ip address works fine. But is kodi really using "USERNAME" and "PASSWORD"? Obviously, these are not the real user-credentials (the real username is "read.only" and i expected it to appear in the log?). And i didn't modify the log, that's plain copy & paste.

So maybe there is the problem? kodi is replacing the username and the password with "USERNAME" and "PASSWORD"?

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Aphykit2006 - 2021-02-26

Hi,
So a 'll stay on 18 leia vesion.
Regards

(2021-02-26, 12:49)Phillinger Wrote: So maybe there is the problem? kodi is replacing the username and the password with "USERNAME" and "PASSWORD"?

Only in the log. Actual usernames and passwords are automatically hidden in the logs as they are designed for sharing to help debugging etc, and there's obviously security risks if such sensitive information is made public via log publication.

The actual credentials Kodi is using for the connection are the ones that you've entered, and (at least for SMB2 and SMB3) those need to be actual and valid credentials to log into the SMB server you're trying to access. See my post above for the simplest way to set that up on the server.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Phillinger - 2021-02-26

(2021-02-26, 13:27)DarrenHill Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 12:49)Phillinger Wrote: So maybe there is the problem? kodi is replacing the username and the password with "USERNAME" and "PASSWORD"?

Only in the log. Actual usernames and passwords are automatically hidden in the logs as they are designed for sharing to help debugging etc, and there's obviously security risks if such sensitive information is made public via log publication.

The actual credentials Kodi is using for the connection are the ones that you've entered, and (at least for SMB2 and SMB3) those need to be actual and valid credentials to log into the SMB server you're trying to access. See my post above for the simplest way to set that up on the server.
Thanks for the quick answer. I can guarantee that the credentials are valid. I'm using them on various devices and apps since 2018 to access the share on that windows machine.

Is there else any info i can deliver? How can i further dig into the problem?

(2021-02-26, 11:07)DarrenHill Wrote: @flomartin - SMB2 and SMB3 need username and password to work - anonymous access is no longer possible.

Simplest way to do that is to make a limited local user on your Windows 10 machine, and give it access permissions to wherever you have stored your media on the machine.

Then in Kodi, under add videos use browse and then add network locations at the bottom (do NOT use the Windows Network (SMB) option). In that set the address of your Windows server machine, the username/password credentials of the local user you set up above and the shared folder name of the share (or leave that blank, as once you connect to the server you can then browse locally within it, it's only browsing for the server itself on your network that SMB2/3 do not support).

That should add a link to your server as a location, and you can then use that to set up a source in the normal way.
Thanks a lot for all these information, creating a new local user right now Smile

Will inform you if I succeeded Smile

(2021-02-26, 13:40)flomartin Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 11:07)DarrenHill Wrote: @flomartin - SMB2 and SMB3 need username and password to work - anonymous access is no longer possible.

Thanks a lot for all these information, creating a new local user right now Smile

Will inform you if I succeeded Smile

It worked !!!

DarrenHill thanks so much !!!

I did EXACTLY as you told me :

A new local user with login/password, I gave him the rights, then I created the server the way you said.

It worked immediatly !

Thanks again !!!

No problem, glad to hear it worked Smile

As background, the MS accounts that most people use normally have a "real" username which is truncated and otherwise mangled compared to what's visible on-screen, to account for special characters. So the username you need to use for SMB is often not what you think it is. That's why the local accounts are much simpler and direct for this, as they get less messed around with and just work.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - ddasd - 2021-02-26

hi!

just made username "kodi" and everything works now Smile

its very easy once u get right instructions..

tnx a lot Smile