Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-02-28

@pawel13022 Please use the report button only for something important. We do not simply delete posts because your problem has been solved.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - scv1 - 2021-02-28

(2021-02-28, 03:01)Terri83 Wrote:
(2021-02-27, 14:02)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-02-27, 13:23)Terri83 Wrote: I hate having a password. I don't need it or want it.
(2021-02-27, 13:23)Terri83 Wrote: to create a secondary account and then login with those credentials. I also don't want to do that
Does the word 'security' mean anything to you at all..? You never lock your house or car, you lend out your credit card to everyone who asks for it, I mean... Don't be surprised when one day your computer is held hostage. When, not if.
(2021-02-27, 13:23)Terri83 Wrote: Are there any solutions that don't require me messing up my PC from the way I like it?
Fiddling around with the SMB Client versions in Kodi's menu seem to work for some people.
There are other ways to make your PC secure from hacking than passwording it. Furthermore, there isn't much on my PC that would be of interest to hackers. I guess they could get my YouTube playlist...lol. I'm not on a laptop, so I don't take it else or connect it to other networks. I also wouldn't care if anyone in my home was on my PC. So those are all things that make me disinterested in a password. It's just another annoying step every time I want to use my PC that's unnecessary. Locking a house, car or the credit card examples are all pretty different. I don't have much of value on my PC. I mostly use it for gaming and watching videos. If I used it for more than entertainment then I would be more worried about security outside of what I already do. That's exactly what I use Kodi for as well...entertainment. I want it to just work when I need it to consistently.

I did try the SMB Client version suggestions. I'm not so laxed on security that I'll enable SMBv1 on my PC. I tried changing it to the min/max settings suggested by everyone, but that did nothing. Last night I sideloaded 18.9 on and it worked perfectly again, but then autoupdated and broke again. I don't see a way to turn off auto-updates, so I seem to be stuck with this version that doesn't work. I hope there is a fix soon.
You know you can just click Start --> Run --> and type netplwiz to choose an account to autologin right?  It would take about 10 seconds to do so and make things work the (insecure) way you want them to.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - GinoDivx - 2021-02-28

So, maybe it's time to bite the bullet and do it in a more secure albeit unpopular fashion?
The following worked and should work for everybody with new Matrix v19:
- Use Windows Account with password (can still be autologin-enabled). But you MUST use the password, can't be empty.
- Leave all Kodi SMB settings as default, reset to default if needed.
- Create new File SMB location for you server, and use the above password.
- Reset/Refresh all existing shares on the server, using the above location. For me this was an important step that I kept missing.
After the above, it appears to work 100%.
YMMV of course, but this seems to work.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - RainGater - 2021-03-01

(2021-02-27, 03:39)DazzaJay Wrote: Tried all the solutions in this thread. None worked.

Switched to Plex. Won't be returning to Kodi.
Wow, what an attitude. Chill down bro, the Kodi team is magnificent and they are providing all this for, drum roll please, FREE as in, yes, F-R-E-E.

I am so grateful for the Kodi team and Plex is not even in the same league as Kodi, for encoding, flawless streaming, etc. 

In any case, I have setup shares using an account/password as I don't want it to be open, even on the LAN. What a novel idea to secure your resources and I can't believe reading some comments that they don't want it to be password protected. Just wow!

Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - hoppel118 - 2021-03-01

True words!

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - colin.p - 2021-03-01

I love Plex and have used it for years, but every now and then, it would lose connection to my media requiring a day or so to get everything back up and running as well as taking up a lot of hard drive space. Not to mention, I am using an old 2009 Dell laptop running ubuntu 18.04 as my server as well as my user computer.

I have used Kodi off and on for a couple of years (android box) but never put the time to get to know it. When I upgraded to Matrix, I lost my addons, but truth be told every time Kodi updated I had to reinstall addons anyway. What irked me most was it took out smb. I read all the posts in this thread and quickly reverted back to 18.9.

Coincidently, samba quit working on my linux computer at the same time (?), which took the better part of a day to get it working again (command line is not one of my strong points) and now all is well and even better than before. 

However, I quit using Plex as it was getting to be a severe resource hog and have used Kodi exclusively for some time, getting more familiarized with it and quite frankly like it much better. So much easier to use and the fact it will play virtually anything, I can finally watch stuff that Plex wouldn't play. I am looking forward to moving up to 19 and going through another day to get everything working again.  Wink

TLDR: annoying as losing smb and access to media is on Matrix, you could have it worse trying to get 19 working properly, all the while running linux (as a media server) on an ancient underpowered laptop.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - kricsek - 2021-03-01

I have a Windows 10 & Ubuntu 20.10 dual boot system. Kodi does not work with Win10 after upgrading to Kodi 19 but it still does with Ubuntu.

I wonder if this information helps anyone tho...

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 20:24)kricsek Wrote: Kodi does not work with Win10 after upgrading to Kodi 19

Hmm.... "Does not work."
Nope, not really. Unless you want something looked into, you could provide us the debug log (wiki) via a pastebin website.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - kricsek - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 20:45)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-03-01, 20:24)kricsek Wrote: Kodi does not work with Win10 after upgrading to Kodi 19

Hmm.... "Does not work."
Nope, not really. Unless you want something looked into, you could provide us the debug log (wiki) via a pastebin website.
SMB share does not work. I thought it'd obvious by now. I'm like the 1000th to report this, aren't there more than enough logs?

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-03-01

It is very simple. Create a user account that has a password then then give that user permission to access the share. Then you can use the user/password combination on the Kodi client.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Nehemoth - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 20:45)Klojum Wrote:

Hmm.... "Does not work."
Here a Kodi log from Nvidia Shield TV 2015 16GB
The share folder is for a Linux Raspberry Pi shared with SMB. Was working before the upgrade. Also for the troubleshooting I'd created another share and created and user/password. It works with VLC, for example and also from a windows 10 laptop but in Kodi just hang the system when try to access it.

https://pastebin.com/enR5M12T

Thank you for the support, let me know if something can be improve it or if you want a different log.

Regards

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Nehemoth - 2021-03-01

(2021-03-01, 22:25)jjd-uk Wrote: It is very simple. Create a user account that has a password then then give that user permission to access the share. Then you can use the user/password combination on the Kodi client.

It looks like this doesn't work with Android.
I did this and tried several other things, one by one, and did not work.
Just provided a debug log, let me know if something else its need it.

Thank you for the support.

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - gulian - 2021-03-01

(2021-02-20, 11:21)Klojum Wrote: With SMBv2 and up, network browsing has been stopped (by Microsoft).

That is not true. SMBv1 is disabled on my Synology and network browsing was working with Kodi18.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - RainGater - 2021-03-02

(2021-03-01, 22:46)Nehemoth Wrote:
(2021-03-01, 22:25)jjd-uk Wrote: It is very simple. Create a user account that has a password then then give that user permission to access the share. Then you can use the user/password combination on the Kodi client.

It looks like this doesn't work with Android.
I did this and tried several other things, one by one, and did not work.
Just provided a debug log, let me know if something else its need it.

Thank you for the support.
I use it in Android (Fire TV) and MiBox and they work fine when I create a share with an user/password combo.  I have one share from a Windows 10 PC and another share from a ZyXel NAS share and they both work fine.  In SMB client, I set the min protocol to SMBv2 and max to SMBv3, FWIW.

<setting id="smb.minprotocol">2</setting>
    <setting id="smb.maxprotocol" default="true">3</setting>
    <setting id="smb.legacysecurity" default="true">false</setting>

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-03-02

(2021-02-26, 00:00)EventDriven Wrote: Here is what I did to make this work. As others said, I needed to reference via IP instead of server name. Basically, I exported my library as a single file and changed all references from my server name to IP. I did the same in passwords.xml and sources.xml. Finally I copied the changed xml files, re-imported the library and then cleaned the library. Maybe there's a simpler way that will work for some but this is what worked for me. Here are the steps I used in a little more detail.
  • Make sure your NAS has a static IP
  • In SMB settings in Kodi, change the minimum required version to SMB1 if you don't currently have a value there
  • Go into file explorer in Kodi and add a source to connect to your NAS share via IP. For example for SMB it would be smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that. I think you need to use a username and password. In any case, I am.
  • Navigate to your profiles directory. Copy passwords.xml and sources.xml to your share.
  • Backup your library to your NAS as a single file
  • Make a backup copy of all the stuff you copied to your NAS in case you need to restore them: the sources, passwords and the library backup.
  • In each of passwords.xml, sources.xml and videodb.xml in your backup folder, using a text editor find and replace your_server_name with the IP address of your server, e.g, 123.123.1.123.
  • Copy passwords.xml and settings.xml back to Kodi and restart Kodi.
  • Import your library by pointing to the backup folder where you edited videodb.xml.
  • Clean you library to remove duplicate entries that are referencing your server name instead of IP. This might take awhile if you have a large library so don't panic.
As I said, maybe there's an easier way that will work for some but this is what worked for me.
This is all well and done, it works, I had to put a password in my windows sign-on but it does work
The elephant in the room.....
IP ==smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that
If you are on a router and the router is shut down ie power failure. Texas are you listening.
The router assigns a new ip to the server and the smb://123.123.1.123/my_share  is no longer a share.
So set up all shares over or
-you will have to set up a static IP on all the serving boxes.
Have you read the instructions to do this with win10Huh

So really all this effort just to run a buggy version of KODI..

18.9 is looking better all the time.

Best if Kodi just works the way we like it.