Kodi Community Forum
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=36218)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- Hotkey - 2009-07-09

Latest effort with Playon etc.:

I bought the ap last year, installed on networked laptop, and could get it to work with XMBC/XBox sometimes but just a few to many issues so I quit using.

I wanted to try again so I installed Playon on another networked Vista box (all hard wired and all file sharing). Went on fine and seems to be fine on the PC.

So, I went to set up in XBMC. I removed old Playon source from old laptop, and tried to add a new UPnP but cannot find the Playon source from new PC.

XBMC 9.04 compiled 5/9.

- zebraitis - 2009-07-09

Quote:"So, I went to set up in XBMC. I removed old Playon source from old laptop, and tried to add a new UPnP but cannot find the Playon source from new PC."

Have you made sure that your UPNP client is active on XBMC? it's a radio button under "network".

If that is fine, can you see shared drives on the server that is running PlayOn?

We use it so much, we are surprised when we watch something on cable... and see... COMMERCIALS ! Laugh

- Hotkey - 2009-07-09

zebraitis Wrote:Have you made sure that your UPNP client is active on XBMC? it's a radio button under "network".

If that is fine, can you see shared drives on the server that is running PlayOn?

We use it so much, we are surprised when we watch something on cable... and see... COMMERCIALS ! Laugh

It is active and yes I can see shared folders on the PC.

- zebraitis - 2009-07-10

Hotkey Wrote:It is active and yes I can see shared folders on the PC.

Do you use a fixed IP address or DHCP?

I have noticed that if the IP address or server name changes, it will give challange and require to be readded on the XBMC

From time to time, the UPNP client on the XBMC may not see PlayOn. That's an XBOX rboot.

If none of that works, try to uninstall and reinstall PlayOn.

There is no specific tips to make it appear. it either does, or does not.

- Hotkey - 2009-07-14

zebraitis Wrote:Do you use a fixed IP address or DHCP?
*** DHCP from router

I have noticed that if the IP address or server name changes, it will give challange and require to be readded on the XBMC
*** Not sure what your telling me here.

From time to time, the UPNP client on the XBMC may not see PlayOn. That's an XBOX rboot.and nothing.
*** Have done

If none of that works, try to uninstall and reinstall PlayOn.
*** Did but nothing. When I installed on older PC first, XBMC found it right away. It was uninstallled from there and added to PC 2 and has never found it.

There is no specific tips to make it appear. it either does, or does not.

Geez - sorry for the delay! See answers at *** above.

- rernst - 2009-07-15

yoshiofthewire Wrote:You need to add things to your Netflix "Instant Q"
Anything you place in your Regular Cue that is "Play Now" should be put into your "Instant Q" for you. While you do have to login to the Netflix Website to load your "Instant Q," the same goes for the Roku player.

Both VMC plugins let you add movies from within VMC. I used the myNetflix plugin and it looked great. But Hulu playback requires a mouse, even using a RSS plugin to get to the page in VMC, and VMC handeling of video files is very lacking. Also, I havn't tried on two PCs but you can not have VMC will not talk to PlayOn on the same PC. And who wants to create a VM just for PlayOn.

It consistently times out selecting something off the Netflix playlist (Actually, I got *on* movie to play(. It's hardwired and I have a 30Mb/s connection. Newly added Netflix queue items don't show up. This is a copy I downloaded 10 mintues ago (and the latest version of XBMC). I would say for Netflix this definitely isn't ready for prime time.

It might be XBMC timing out in waiting for the buffering or something else - I don't know. All I know is that it doesn't work ...

- rernst - 2009-07-15

Yeah, it's XBMC timing out. When you click on a title and wait 30 seconds and click again you might just be lucky to be able to watch. If you click too early the playlist has too many errors.

I see no settings in XBMC to fix this.

UPnP timeout with PlayOn? - rernst - 2009-07-17

Any chance of making UPnP timeout user-definable (startup timeout, buffering). It's really the only thing that keeps XBMC of coexisting with PlayOn. Is there maybe a patch?

- rynoc - 2009-07-21

What is interesting is that the playback on the PS3 through playon works well, even fast forward and rewind.

XBMC sufferrs from timeouts on start and you cannot fast forward at all but that has been in for a long time (been using it for nearly a year). Something with the UPnP implementation. Hulu works much better than Netflix for starting a show.

- aaaaaakash - 2009-07-30

im so dissappointed that i dished out money for this and it's no longer working on xbmc. any one got any ideas?

- zebraitis - 2009-07-31

aaaaaakash,

My .02 ...

If you have a windows based computer, sometimes thair network setting change.

In Vista, make sure your network is "private" and turn off your firewalls and test again.

- babyboy20p - 2009-08-02

not sure if this helps or is already posted but rite now im watch csi miami from my netflix queue at first it didnt play then i click the white button on my xbox controller and brought up settings n i switch to play using dvdplayer and it started 2 play, also i just updated 2 the latest verion of playon which is Version: 2.59.3497

Version 2.59.3497
Released 29 July 2009

Features and Changes

* Fixed Netflix Silverlight playback error messaging issue.
* Fixed Desktop lockout issue.

Known Issues

* Local Media Sharing (Beta) currently supports limited audio and video codecs.
* iTunes M4A music files won't play correctly to Xbox 360.
* Amazon Video on Demand (Beta) temporarily unavailable.
* Netflix video sessions not properly closed in all cases, which may block PC browser access for up to 2 hours after starting a Netflix movie through PlayOn.
* Videos are missing in the total counts for CBS (100 maximum).
* YouTube subscriptions and playlists are limited to 50 videos.

update from watchin csi miami on playon played perfectly for the entire show after i finished tried watchin next episode and started after a few attempts switchin to dvd player but its playin rite now again

PlayON with XBMC - rernst - 2009-08-19

I broke down and plopped down the money for the PlayOn proxy and after giving it more horsepower than I used to found that it works relatively well with XBMC. Now I am running into the following symptom and do not know whether it is a PlayOn or XBMC issue (or my lack of proper operation). PlayOn shows up as a source in my menu and I can play files just fne. Now these files change over time (for example Revision 3 puts out new shows). It would appear as if these new shows are not reflected in XBMC. Are the titles somehow cached and need to be refreshed?

Might be a PlayOn issue or god-knows-what. Anyhow, my question - do UPnP devices some sort of scanning for new content?