Kodi Community Forum
tvOS New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: tvOS New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote (/showthread.php?tid=362184)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - Vlaves - 2021-05-23

(2021-05-23, 12:56)movie78 Wrote: Is there a way to install Kodi on Apple TV 4k?

I found this on in one youtube video, seems streight forward. removed

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - DarrenHill - 2021-05-23

That site is in violation of our trademark, and so linking to it is not allowed here.

The link has been removed.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - movie78 - 2021-05-23

Apple has remove the USB-C port on the new AppleTV 4k so this how to guide will not works, is there any other options?

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - gabiruh - 2021-05-24

Where is @wrxtasy ?

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - Custom Critic - 2021-05-24

Oh finally the do something with that useless remote. New one looks much better then previous.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - noggin - 2021-05-26

(2021-05-23, 15:12)movie78 Wrote: Apple has remove the USB-C port on the new AppleTV 4k so this how to guide will not works, is there any other options?

The previous generation of Apple TV 4 4K also didn't have the USB Type C connector (there is a lightning connector concealed in the Ethernet port I believe for diagnostics and manufacturer set-up). The last model to have a USB Type C was the Apple TV 4 HD.

To sideload software you use a WiFi connection I believe - more information over in the iOS/tvOS forum area.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - noggin - 2021-05-26

(2021-05-24, 03:48)gabiruh Wrote: Where is @wrxtasy ?

I hope he's OK - he's not posted for a while.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - hdmkv - 2021-05-26

Same here. He's been absent for over 2 months I think. Had posted about his whereabouts in another thread & didn't get a reply.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - movie78 - 2021-05-27

(2021-05-26, 11:54)noggin Wrote:
(2021-05-23, 15:12)movie78 Wrote: Apple has remove the USB-C port on the new AppleTV 4k so this how to guide will not works, is there any other options?

The previous generation of Apple TV 4 4K also didn't have the USB Type C connector (there is a lightning connector concealed in the Ethernet port I believe for diagnostics and manufacturer set-up). The last model to have a USB Type C was the Apple TV 4 HD.

To sideload software you use a WiFi connection I believe - more information over in the iOS/tvOS forum area.
I look into it,I t required MacOS and Xcode install and the installation only last a week unless you have a Dev account which cost $99 a year.
Returning the new Apple TV 4k and staying with my Nvidia Shield.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - noggin - 2021-05-27

(2021-05-27, 04:44)movie78 Wrote:
(2021-05-26, 11:54)noggin Wrote:

I look into it,I t required MacOS and Xcode install and the installation only last a week unless you have a Dev account which cost $99 a year.

My ATV 4K v2 arrived a couple of days ago.  It's replaced my previous gen ATV 4K as my daily driver for Netflix, Prime, Disney and other DRM-ed sources.  The API-driven frame rate switching is the killer app for me (it's not 100% automatic - so the user experience during auto-play trailers etc. is much better - they don't trigger a TV re-sync, but playing the actual movie or TV show does).

I also run MrMC's Kodi fork on it for stuff that needs software decode (and for Live TV) - as it blows every other ARM platform (including the Shield TV) out of the water.  Haven't had chance to test the new 4K with 40Mbs h.264 4:2:2 1080i25 stuff - but the previous gen model could just about keep up with that with software decode and a Weston 3-field i25->p50 deinterlace.  For those who watch broadcast feeds - it's a beast! (The ATV 4K is also unusual in supporting h.265 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 hardware decode - playing broadcast feeds in 2160p50 4:2:2 h.265 without blinking)

The lack of HD Audio bit streaming is the major limitation - but more and more I use my Kodi platforms to play home mastered content which is FLAC 5.1 in the first place.

My needs are quite niche I know - but if you are looking for a fantastic streamer that can also deliver most of the Kodi experience (minus HD Audio bit streaming and Python plug ins) - it's a great solution.  And the new remote finally fixes one major failing of the device. (The old Siri remote was horrific to use)

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - noggin - 2021-05-27

(2021-05-26, 19:26)hdmkv Wrote: Same here. He's been absent for over 2 months I think. Had posted about his whereabouts in another thread & didn't get a reply.

He has his 'last visited' status hidden. I may ask in the Mods forum if people know anything - as he and I are both mods here.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - Vlaves - 2021-05-27

(2021-05-27, 08:44)noggin Wrote:
(2021-05-27, 04:44)movie78 Wrote:
(2021-05-26, 11:54)noggin Wrote: The previous generation of Apple TV 4 4K also didn't have the USB Type C connector (there is a lightning connector concealed in the Ethernet port I believe for diagnostics and manufacturer set-up). The last model to have a USB Type C was the Apple TV 4 HD.

The API-driven frame rate switching is the killer app for me (it's not 100% automatic - so the user experience during auto-play trailers etc. is much better - they don't trigger a TV re-sync, but playing the actual movie or TV show does).

I also run MrMC's Kodi fork on it for stuff that needs software decode (and for Live TV) - as it blows every other ARM platform (including the Shield TV) out of the water.
The lack of HD Audio bit streaming is the major limitation - but more and more I use my Kodi platforms to play home mastered content which is FLAC 5.1 in the first place.
And the new remote finally fixes one major failing of the device. (The old Siri remote was horrific to use)
Just got mine too and I can only confirm this, the ATV 4K Gen2 is just awesome. Especially as I have set Audio only to stereo, so the missing audio capabilities are no problem for me.
Framerate switching is solved system wide and used by almost every important App publisher and the new remote is just great, especially if you turn off the touch stuff and set the system keyboard settings to use the grid layout (yeah, back to the roots) Smile And MrMC is just awesome for LiveTV, the deinterlacing is just unbeatable Smile

Sadly there is no easy way to use Kodi on the Apple TV in an easy way, apart from ways which are not allowed to be posted here. Why that is the case I don't know, as these ppl just offer online what you would do yourself with a Mac and xCode and a Dev Account, so cheeper and way more convenient. But who wants to find out how, will find it on the net.

But I think still would prefer to use MrMC, just because of the Skin as it is very beautiful.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - hdmkv - 2021-05-28

Thanks for those impressions guys—I'm tempted for it for the family room, so no need for HD audio. But, will wait for a deal; feel its overpriced for what it is, but what we'd expect from Apple.

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - fede01_8 - 2021-05-28

Do you need one of these to watch Apple Original series? I don't own any of iDevice

RE: New Apple TV 4K w/A12 Chip & Redesigned Remote - Vlaves - 2021-05-28

(2021-05-28, 01:50)fede01_8 Wrote: Do you need one of these to watch Apple Original series? I don't own any of iDevice

The Apple TV+ App is available also on Android. With TV+ App you can watch Apple Original Series. Hope that helps. Link to Play Store