Kodi Community Forum
Release Support thread for Autostop addon - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Service Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=152)
+---- Thread: Release Support thread for Autostop addon (/showthread.php?tid=365429)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-20

I posted version 1.0.2e today.  This version has the following changes and will be the official 1.0.2 release unless a bug is found in the next week or so.

• Eliminated duplicate code between paused playback and sleep timer functions.  Also simplified logging and reduced overhead.
  • Added a feature when the sleep timer extension is set for variable the user will be given an option to immediately stop playback, in addition to the extension times  This feature is enabled via a setting but is disabled by default.

Thanks,

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - Atreyu - 2022-01-20

About the extra 'stop immediately' setting if i understand it correctly: wouldn't it make more sense to have the option 'stop after video ends'
there instead? After all, if no action is done 'stop video' would be the action anyway and we are in a extension menu? Just some thoughts.

Just to add, use case would be a setup where 'play next video autmatically' is enabled in player settings

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-20

(2022-01-20, 20:49)Atreyu Wrote: About the extra 'stop immediately' setting if i understand it correctly: wouldn't it make more sense to have the option 'stop after video ends'
there instead? After all, if no action is done 'stop video' would be the action anyway and we are in a extension menu? Just some thoughts.

Just to add, use case would be a setup where 'play next video autmatically' is enabled in player settings

Thanks for the feedback.  The functionality for the Stop Playback feature was to simply reduce a couple of button pushes.  If something was playing and the progress bar came up and then you hit cancel which brings you to the list of times to extend you could extend the playback, which would remove the progress box and then you could hit stop to stop playback.  With the feature you wouldn't have to select an extension time and then hit stop.  You can just select stop playback.  I caught myself wanting to stop playback during testing but not sure how much it would be used in real life. 

For stopping at the end of file playback or before the next one starts, that is an interesting idea.  Kodi has a way to detect another item being queued but that wouldn't work for things like live streams which would never queue another item.  Kodi also has the ability to detect the length of an item being played  but again that wouldn't work for a stream.  Of course there's the question on why would a user do a play from here, play next or play a playlist function for a live stream playlist ?  

I'll give this some thought.  I'll get 1.0.2 out the door and then start doing some testing to see how I can avoid too much complication in the sleep timer logic.  I think the easiest thing might be to get the length of the playing file and set the sleep timer extension to it.  If the user picks a stream which has no length or something which is longer than some preset value, maybe notify the user that the sleep timer can't automatically be set and to pick a value from the list ? 

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - Atreyu - 2022-01-21

I could see the stop function useful on an extention menu for testing. Not so much for real use.

For the 'stop when video ends' there's indeed the challenge of continuous content. Your fallback method could be used, but if it complicates the code or user interaction too much, might be better to leave it out altogether. It was just something I knew from a former solution and it was not intensively used.

Cheers on your work so far!

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-21

(2022-01-21, 08:56)Atreyu Wrote: I could see the stop function useful on an extention menu for testing. Not so much for real use.

For the 'stop when video ends' there's indeed the challenge of continuous content. Your fallback method could be used, but if it complicates the code or user interaction too much, might be better to leave it out altogether. It was just something I knew from a former solution and it was not intensively used.

Cheers on your work so far!

I took a look at the code and was able to implement a stop at the end of file feature.  I've uploaded test  version 1.0.2f .  The addon will try and determine the length of the file playing.  If it can be determined then a menu option is added providing an End of current file option with the extension time that will be added stop playback at the end of the file.  Note that if the length of the file left to play is longer than 180 minutes it will limit the extension to 180 minutes.

Thanks,

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - Atreyu - 2022-01-22

Came home tonight and installed v1.0.2f on several different setups, both Windows and Coreelec.
Was able to play around with all functions during the evening, stop playback at end of file works well and i think the way everything is implemented handles nicely. 

Good stuff!

A.

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-22

(2022-01-22, 00:21)Atreyu Wrote: Came home tonight and installed v1.0.2f on several different setups, both Windows and Coreelec.
Was able to play around with all functions during the evening, stop playback at end of file works well and i think the way everything is implemented handles nicely. 

Good stuff!

A.

Thanks again for testing.  I did confirm that if a stream is playing you won't get the stop at the end of file menu option because a length of playback cannot be determined.  For those you just need to pick an extension time.  I also found that the stop time when you select  the stop at the end of file menu option could be off a few seconds because the sleep timer runs on a 10 seconds interval.  I've adjusted the extension timer algorithm to account for this and now it will stop 1 second before the end of the current playing file.  I'll roll this tweak into the official 1.0.2 release.

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-22

(2022-01-22, 00:21)Atreyu Wrote: Came home tonight and installed v1.0.2f on several different setups, both Windows and Coreelec.

Good stuff!

A.

I've been doing some final testing and would like an opinion on behavior, specifically when someone selects play to the end of the file.  The question is whether the progress notification should show up again as playback gets near the end of the file or since the user has already selected to play to the end of the file and stop, don't prompt them again but simply stop playback st the end and provide notification ?   Right now a second progress bar shows up based upon the notification time setting. 

Of course this is a sleep timer so we could assume they are asleep but if someone wants to watch the last 30--180 seconds of whatever is playing they really can't without the progress bar being in the way or selecting something like 10 minutes and then stopping playback manually..  With the preset times it isn't as much of an issue because the user can simply select more time.

I am open to suggestions.

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - Atreyu - 2022-01-22

If play to end of file is selected, i would think drop progress notification since end time is known. Just stop play and notify will be fine in this case imo.

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-23

(2022-01-22, 19:11)Atreyu Wrote: If play to end of file is selected, i would think drop progress notification since end time is known. Just stop play and notify will be fine in this case imo.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've posted version 1.0.2g which has this behavior.  it will now only show the progress bar once when you select play to the end of a file.

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-27

I have submitted pull request #2201 to publish the official Autostop 1.0.2 code which is the 1.0.2g test code.

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-01-31

I posted version 1.0.3 today.  This version has a bug fix I have been chasing for quite some time where a random exception error would occur.  It was caused by Kodi failing to complete playback of a file and would abort on playback start.

• Fixed exception bug when Kodi begins but is unable to play a file properly.  Autostop will now ignore those playback errors.

You can download the latest version at the link above or wait for it to update automatically via the Kodi repository.  I have submitted pull request #2205 to publish the update.

Thanks,

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - Atreyu - 2022-02-01

Think i found a bug.
When cycling through the minutes 10-20-90-... after 180 minutes it generates an error and no longer cycles back to 0-10-..
I have started using another skin, haven't tested yet if the issue also occurs on the default skin (so no idea if this is skin related or a general issue)

A.

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - jbinkley60 - 2022-02-01

(2022-02-01, 18:22)Atreyu Wrote: Think i found a bug.
When cycling through the minutes 10-20-90-... after 180 minutes it generates an error and no longer cycles back to 0-10-..
I have started using another skin, haven't tested yet if the issue also occurs on the default skin (so no idea if this is skin related or a general issue)

A.

You sure did find a bug.  So sorry about that.  To add the 180 minute option I needed to make a change in 3 places.  I made it in 2 of the 3.  Please try downloading 1.0.3 again and let me know if it is fixed.

Thanks,

Jeff

RE: Support thread for Autostop addon - Atreyu - 2022-02-01

It's fixed with latest 1.0.3 Wink