Kodi Community Forum
Need help with music videos - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Need help with music videos (/showthread.php?tid=366293)

Pages: 1 2

Need help with music videos - Diamond Dog - 2022-01-02

I was able to add movies and TV shows to Kodi libraries.   All the artwork is correct

I am struggling with music videos.  I go through the same porcess.   I enter the files section, browse the path and assign everything as music videos.  It doesn't seem to stick as whe it completes, it shows the same screen where it presents "enter files section" or "Remove this main menu item"

My music videos are in folders that have multiple folders, each with a specific concert.  So for example I will have a folder called "U2" and that folder will have 25 folders in it with 25 seperate concert videos.  Is this the problem?   

I want to keep everything organized on my NAS so in the above example I would rather have 1 U2 folder with 25 folders in it that 25 loose folders

Is there a way I can just have everything show up under the Music Videos Library, and  manually assign a thumbnail to the folders for the ones that the scraper didn't find?

RE: Need help with music videos - Karellen - 2022-01-02

(2022-01-02, 22:16)Diamond Dog Wrote: I enter the files section, browse the path and assign everything as music videos.  It doesn't seem to stick as whe it completes, it shows the same screen where it presents "enter files section" or "Remove this main menu item"
So, you select Music Videos on the home screen, then you select Enter Files section.
You already see a list of your Sources? How many Sources for music videos do you have?
You then select a Source, call up the Context Menu and select Set Content.
You choose Music Video and which scraper- Local Info only?
Did you press OK?
Then did you run Scan for new content from the Context Menu?

Is that what you did?

RE: Need help with music videos - Diamond Dog - 2022-01-03

(2022-01-02, 23:33)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-01-02, 22:16)Diamond Dog Wrote: I enter the files section, browse the path and assign everything as music videos.  It doesn't seem to stick as whe it completes, it shows the same screen where it presents "enter files section" or "Remove this main menu item"
So, you select Music Videos on the home screen, then you select Enter Files section.
You already see a list of your Sources? How many Sources for music videos do you have?
You then select a Source, call up the Context Menu and select Set Content.
You choose Music Video and which scraper- Local Info only?
Did you press OK?
Then did you run Scan for new content from the Context Menu?

Is that what you did?
I did everything you listed above. I only have 1 source for music videos. It is a separate folder from Movies and TV Shows

No files add to the Music Videos Library and I simply get the screen to start over that says "enter files section" or "Remove this main menu item" after I go through all those steps

Is this because I do not have NFO files for any of these and you must have NFO files and I will have to make all of those? If so is there an easy way to make a lot of of NFO files for all my concert videos

Is there a way to make a folder appear with a thumbnail even though it contains another folder and not a music video file?

At this point I can not even add any videos to Music Videos, even though I was able to get the Movies and TV show Libraries to work just fine.

RE: Need help with music videos - Karellen - 2022-01-03

(2022-01-03, 04:51)Diamond Dog Wrote: s this because I do not have NFO files for any of these and you must have NFO files and I will have to make all of those? If so is there an easy way to make a lot of of NFO files for all my concert videos
Oh yes. If you have Local Information set, then you need nfo files, otherwise where does Kodi find the metadata?
There are Templates you can use here... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Templates

It also depends on what type of music videos they are. If they are full concerts, then the scraper sites may already have that info and you can scrape them. If they are single song clips, then you might still be able to scrape them using the AudioDB Music Video scraper. Use the Get More option when selecting a Scraper.

So let us know which type of Music Videos you have. You can then check at the two scraper sites and see if the information already exists.

RE: Need help with music videos - Diamond Dog - 2022-01-03

(2022-01-03, 05:17)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-01-03, 04:51)Diamond Dog Wrote: s this because I do not have NFO files for any of these and you must have NFO files and I will have to make all of those? If so is there an easy way to make a lot of of NFO files for all my concert videos
Oh yes. If you have Local Information set, then you need nfo files, otherwise where does Kodi find the metadata?
There are Templates you can use here... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Templates

It also depends on what type of music videos they are. If they are full concerts, then the scraper sites may already have that info and you can scrape them. If they are single song clips, then you might still be able to scrape them using the AudioDB Music Video scraper. Use the Get More option when selecting a Scraper.

So let us know which type of Music Videos you have. You can then check at the two scraper sites and see if the information already exists.

Thank you. I feel like we are getting somewhere now.

Lets use my U2 example to tell you what I have.  I have a folder that is just called U2. Inside it is 25 folders with separate concerts and separate videos. Some are official movies (so the scraper should and has found the artwork), and some are just video files that are obscure so I have jpegs from my old system I want to use.

#1 Can I assign a thumbnail to a folder that doesn't have a video in it? In my example, I want the folder to show a picture of the band. This folder does not have a video in it, rather it has 25 folders in it

#2 I am not clear on those templates in the link how your direct the  NFO file that you want to use as the thumbnail

#2 Is there a program that will make this easier or is this all going to have to be done manually?

RE: Need help with music videos - Karellen - 2022-01-03

(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: Lets use my U2 example to tell you what I have.  I have a folder that is just called U2. Inside it is 25 folders with separate concerts and separate videos. Some are official movies (so the scraper should and has found the artwork), and some are just video files that are obscure so I have jpegs from my old system I want to use.
So it looks something like this?

xml:

f:\
|-- My Music Videos <!-- Source -->
|-- U2 <!-- Artist Folder -->
|-- U2 Concert 1 <!-- Concerts / Videos -->
|-- U2 Concert 2
|-- U2 Random Video 1
|-- Little River Band <!-- Artist Folder-->

(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: #1 Can I assign a thumbnail to a folder that doesn't have a video in it? In my example, I want the folder to show a picture of the band. This folder does not have a video in it, rather it has 25 folders in it
It depends on where you expect to see this. If you are scraping these items into the library, then you won't see your folders, so the thumbnail does not matter.

You can assign a thumbnail to My Music Videos folder. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types#Source_Folder_Icon
You can assign an image to U2 folder also. Name the image folder.jpg and ensure it is portrait type, like a poster

(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: #2 I am not clear on those templates in the link how your direct the  NFO file that you want to use as the thumbnail
The nfo file is for metadata. Artwork is separate. As long as your artwork is saved in the correct location and correctly named, Kodi will find it. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_Video_artwork

(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: Is there a program that will make this easier or is this all going to have to be done manually?
The only 3rd party media manager that deals with Music Videos that I know of is Media Companion... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=129134

RE: Need help with music videos - Diamond Dog - 2022-01-04

(2022-01-03, 06:08)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: Lets use my U2 example to tell you what I have.  I have a folder that is just called U2. Inside it is 25 folders with separate concerts and separate videos. Some are official movies (so the scraper should and has found the artwork), and some are just video files that are obscure so I have jpegs from my old system I want to use.
So it looks something like this?

xml:

f:\
|-- My Music Videos <!-- Source -->
|-- U2 <!-- Artist Folder -->
|-- U2 Concert 1 <!-- Concerts / Videos -->
|-- U2 Concert 2
|-- U2 Random Video 1
|-- Little River Band <!-- Artist Folder-->
(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: #1 Can I assign a thumbnail to a folder that doesn't have a video in it? In my example, I want the folder to show a picture of the band. This folder does not have a video in it, rather it has 25 folders in it
It depends on where you expect to see this. If you are scraping these items into the library, then you won't see your folders, so the thumbnail does not matter.

You can assign a thumbnail to My Music Videos folder. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types#Source_Folder_Icon
You can assign an image to U2 folder also. Name the image folder.jpg and ensure it is portrait type, like a poster
(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: #2 I am not clear on those templates in the link how your direct the  NFO file that you want to use as the thumbnail
The nfo file is for metadata. Artwork is separate. As long as your artwork is saved in the correct location and correctly named, Kodi will find it. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_Video_artwork
(2022-01-03, 05:29)Diamond Dog Wrote: Is there a program that will make this easier or is this all going to have to be done manually?
The only 3rd party media manager that deals with Music Videos that I know of is Media Companion... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=129134
I really appreciate you spending so much time to help me. I assure you that I am reading everything you send me to try and understand.

I am wondering if I am approaching this all wrong. I know its called "music videos" in KODI, but they are actually full concerts? Am I making this harder by fixating on the term Music Video when these are more like movies (not a single song video as in most musiv "videos")

I looked the audioDB and there are very lfew concerts  in there, but in the movie DB there are many more?
  • Are my music videos actually more like "movies"?
  • Don't the movie settings to add to libraries scrape folder titles and add, where the Music video setting requires an NFO File?
    • This way I would not have to create a bunch of NFO files for it to be added to the library?
      • I don't really care about having all the tracks listed as you would with audio.
  • Some of the concerts would not come up, but many would scrape. Couldn't I select the checkbox for no selection and then just easily add a picture and some text to represent that concert that doesnt scrape?

This example got me thinking. that these should be treated more like movies:  U2 360 tour concert  video shows up in the MovieDB but not the audio db

Movie DB...it shows up here   https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/39081-u2-360-degrees-at-the-rose-bowl
Audio DB does not show up here   https://www.theaudiodb.com/browse.php

My thinking is I would add to Music Video library but categorized as "movies" I would run the scraper to identify as many as possible. For the ones it does not find I would insert a picture and change the text. If I did this, how would I set it so it didn't change the manual entered one back (I will have a combination of correctly scrapped, scrapes I manually corrected, and manually entered from scratch concert videos?

RE: Need help with music videos - Karellen - 2022-01-04

(2022-01-04, 00:45)Diamond Dog Wrote: I really appreciate you spending so much time to help me.
Great. You are welcome.

(2022-01-04, 00:45)Diamond Dog Wrote: I am wondering if I am approaching this all wrong. I know its called "music videos" in KODI, but they are actually full concerts? Am I making this harder by fixating on the term Music Video when these are more like movies (not a single song video as in most musiv "videos")
Yes, there is a difference. Music Vidoes in Kodi refers to single song video clips.
But.... with a bit of input, you can also add Concerts. Unfortunately, Music Videos is not something I use, so I won't be much help.

I will move your thread to the Music forum. There are a few users for music videos in that forum, so now that I have moved you to the correct location, you may get a bit more knowledgeable input.
There is a thread in there that helps explain setting up Concerts... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294333

RE: Need help with music videos - Diamond Dog - 2022-01-04

(2022-01-04, 01:03)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-01-04, 00:45)Diamond Dog Wrote: I really appreciate you spending so much time to help me.
Great. You are welcome.
(2022-01-04, 00:45)Diamond Dog Wrote: I am wondering if I am approaching this all wrong. I know its called "music videos" in KODI, but they are actually full concerts? Am I making this harder by fixating on the term Music Video when these are more like movies (not a single song video as in most musiv "videos")
Yes, there is a difference. Music Vidoes in Kodi refers to single song video clips.
But.... with a bit of input, you can also add Concerts. Unfortunately, Music Videos is not something I use, so I won't be much help.

I will move your thread to the Music forum. There are a few users for music videos in that forum, so now that I have moved you to the correct location, you may get a bit more knowledgeable input.
There is a thread in there that helps explain setting up Concerts... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294333

Thank you.  I hope I didn't waste your time.  I learned a lot by reading everything you sent me. 

Can you answer these questions?

Can the Music Video Library hold folders with files that are classified as movies? If not, everything would go in the movies folder?  How could I differentiate movies and concerts that are both classified as "movies" all in the Movies Library.   Can I make a custom Library called "Concerts" and how do you do that. 

I noticed that Everytime I open Kodi it rescans everything against databases.  I don't add things that often.  How do imturn this off and how Do imscan just 1 folder against a scraping database in the future?

(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote:  I hope I didn't waste your time.
No, not at all.

(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote: I noticed that Everytime I open Kodi it rescans everything against databases. I don't add things that often. How do imturn this off and how Do imscan just 1 folder against a scraping database in the future?
You can disable automatic scans using settings 2.1 for video library and 3.1 for music library... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Media/Library
To scan/scrape individual items, navigate to it via Videos>Files, then either select i on your keyboard or call up the context menu and select either "Scan for new Content" or "Scan item to library"

(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote: Can the Music Video Library hold folders with files that are classified as movies?
Yes it can. It might be explained in that thread, but you can edit the nfo file to change <movie></movie> to <musicvideos></musicvideos>.

(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote: How could I differentiate movies and concerts that are both classified as "movies" all in the Movies Library.
If you want to leave them in the Movie library, you can separate them out using Smart playlists (wiki) and even add a new main menu item named Concerts using Custom home items (wiki).

RE: Need help with music videos - black_eagle - 2022-01-04

(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote: Can the Music Video Library hold folders with files that are classified as movies? If not, everything would go in the movies folder?  How could I differentiate movies and concerts that are both classified as "movies" all in the Movies Library.

Yes, it can.  The content (movies, tv-shows, music videos) is determined by what you tell Kodi the topmost directory contains.  See https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_videos#Selecting_the_Scraper

What I do is use a 3rd party media manager to create nfo files for all my concerts, and let the audiodb scraper fill in the details for the few individual song videos that I have.  You should know that if local information (nfo file) exists next to your concert, that Kodi will use that in preference to trying to scrape some information.  I use both MediaElch and TMM to create the nfo files.  Both have strengths and weaknesses but overall, TMM does a slightly better job (for me) of creating the nfo files.

If you want individual artists listed (eg, Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton etc) then you should create movie nfo files as they contain more info than musicvideo nfo files.  Kodi will still read them and import the correct information even though the source is set as musicvideos.

EG, this is one of my nfo files.  All the artists are added as actors and in v19 are all searchable so you could, for example, find everything by Genesis which would include music videos, movies and albums.
(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote: Can I make a custom Library called "Concerts" and how do you do that. 

Yeah you can do that.  You would probably need to use tags and tag each concert with "concert" and then use a smartplaylist to pull out all the files with that tag.  Some skins will let you do this but the default Estuary skin won't unless you edit it by hand.  There is however, a node editor addon that should probably be able to do that.  It won't appear as an option in the left menu though, just as a node (like artist, album, title etc).
(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote: I noticed that Everytime I open Kodi it rescans everything against databases.  I don't add things that often.  How do imturn this off

Settings->Media->library.  Turn OFF update library on startup for both the video and music library.
(2022-01-04, 01:13)Diamond Dog Wrote: how Do imscan just 1 folder against a scraping database in the future?

Settings->media->library->manage sources.  Navigate to the directory you want to add.  Open the context menu (key "c" on a keyboard) and select "scan item to library".

RE: Need help with music videos - black_eagle - 2022-01-04

(2022-01-04, 01:30)Karellen Wrote: Yes it can. It might be explained in that thread, but you can edit the nfo file to change <movie></movie> to <musicvideos></musicvideos>.

Actually, that's not quite right.  Kodi doesn't respect the <movie></movie> / <musicvideo></musicvideo> tags in an nfo file, but it does respect the content set on the topmost directory.  This is definitely a bug, but one I don't feel inclined to fix as you can leverage the superior details from a movie nfo file into a musicvideo.  Ultimately, this gives much better sorting and searching options than using just <musicvideo> nfo's as there are more <fields> for movie than for musicvideo.

Ultimately, it's not what is in the nfo files that determines where a video (music vid, movie or tv-show) is shown in the libraries, it's the setting for "this directory contains".  That's how core splits up its video content - it's either a film, a music vid, or a tv show.  That's how core determines which library view to show the file(s) in.

(2022-01-04, 02:09)black_eagle Wrote: Actually, that's not quite right.  Kodi doesn't respect the <movie></movie> / <musicvideo></musicvideo> tags in an nfo file, but it does respect the content set on the topmost directory.  This is definitely a bug, but one I don't feel inclined to fix as you can leverage the superior details from a movie nfo file into a musicvideo.  Ultimately, this gives much better sorting and searching options than using just <musicvideo> nfo's as there are more <fields> for movie than for musicvideo.
Thanks black_eagle. I now recall we discussed this once before in the issue report, but I forgot ;(

RE: Need help with music videos - scott967 - 2022-01-04

"Music video" content is kind of interesting.   You set the content type at the folder level, known as a "source" which can include a recursive search of subfolders.  When you set content as "music video", Kodi will treat the "actors" as "artists", and also provide support for an "album".  It also allows the creation of smart playlists of type "musicvideo" or "mixed".

Music video content can be accessed from either the main "videos" library views OR the main "music" library views.  Same thing with smart playlists.  The "mixed" type allows you to combine "musicvideos" and "songs" into a single list.  Kodi leverages some information concerning artists and albums between the music and video libraries.

Full length "concerts" don't easily fit this model, so many users set their content as "movie".  You can use smart playlists to keep the concerts separate from other movie content.  You lose the ability to get artist and album info directly from the music library, and to view concerts (and playlists) within the music library views, as well as "mixed" playlist content.

scott s.

RE: Need help with music videos - black_eagle - 2022-01-05

(2022-01-04, 23:17)scott967 Wrote: Full length "concerts" don't easily fit this model, so many users set their content as "movie".  You can use smart playlists to keep the concerts separate from other movie content.  You lose the ability to get artist and album info directly from the music library, and to view concerts (and playlists) within the music library views, as well as "mixed" playlist content.

Yeah, if you only use the built in scrapers then you really have no option for full concerts other than scraping them as movies.  The music video scraper is only able to scrape individual songs.  However, if you use a third party tool or create your own nfo files (as movies) and set your content to music videos, local info only, then Kodi is perfectly capable of handling full concerts in the music video section.  You get the added benefit of being able to search by artist(s) and the artist node will fetch the bio from the music library if the artist is also in there.

Concerts (and individual music video songs) are kept separate from the main video library and no functionality is lost.

At it's most simplistic, and forgetting about any scraper changes etc, the "set content" just tells Kodi which library to display something in, once it's in your db.  If you use a movie style nfo file for music videos, then you can add all the individual performers as well as the main artist/group and you can search on those in the same way you can search on actors.  The music video part though will also list any albums by the performer/artist as well as concerts/music videos (songs).  So for a Pink Floyd concert, I can search on "Pink Floyd" and get all their concerts and albums that I have, but I can also search on "David Gilmour" and get all the concerts he features in as well as any albums by him.

Adding concerts as movies makes no sense to me unless you are using v18 or earlier (when I did use smartplaylists and paths to split stuff up) because you don't need to anymore.