Kodi Community Forum
v19 Android tv limited space storage - help needed - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: v19 Android tv limited space storage - help needed (/showthread.php?tid=368690)

Android tv limited space storage - help needed - fozzybear - 2022-06-22

Hi

I have a Sony tv with pretty limited local storage space 4.4gb

With all the other app (Netflix etc) that leaves me with 2gig free.
Kodi is taking up 1.7gig.
I need to reduce this as I keep getting messages from the tv that the storage is full.
I’ve set the artwork level to basic and actor thumbnails to off.
I have no music only tv and movies.
Movies are stored on a NAS.

I wondered if I could put a usb stick into the tv and point Kodi to look there for it’s artwork but I couldn’t find a simple answer.

Any input and ideas I would be grateful for. Thx
J

RE: Android tv limited space storage - help needed - beeswax - 2022-06-24

Check the Wiki on Path Substitution, as long as Kodi is allowed by the TV to write to the USB stick, that should work.

Be aware you may need to enable debug logging and trawl through some logs to workout exactly how your TV's OS and Kodi address the USB stick.  I recently did the same thing on a Shield Pro because I have multiple profiles and by default, Kodi creates a Thumbnails folder within each profile so I used Path Substitution in one profile to make them share.  That looked like this:

php:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
        <from>special://masterprofile/profiles/Kids/Thumbnails/</from>
        <to>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/profiles/GrownUps/Thumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

RE: Android tv limited space storage - help needed - Little_goliath84 - 2022-06-26

(2022-06-22, 16:58)fozzybear Wrote: Hi

I need to reduce this as I keep getting messages from the tv that the storage is full.

I wondered if I could put a usb stick into the tv and point Kodi to look there for it’s artwork but I couldn’t find a simple answer.

J

Have the same situation with my Philips OLED Android 10.
You can extend the device memory by using a USB stick. Simply put it in the tv, then TV settings->Android settings->memory->your usb stick-> format-> format as device memory.

After that, bigger apps are stored on the usb stick, or manually move the apps to the stick (tv settings->apps->your app-> storage location-> move to external storage)
My kodi 19.4 is on the usb stick (64gb stick)

RE: Android tv limited space storage - help needed - fritsch - 2022-06-26

In upcoming kodi v20 I implemented the use of jpeg compression. While all version up to v19 used "uncompressed jpegs" which needs a real large size, v20 will default enable this. This will reduce each jpeg stored as thumbnail by roughly 50%. See: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21418 for a visual / size comparison.

RE: Android tv limited space storage - help needed - fozzybear - 2022-06-29

(2022-06-26, 08:46)Little_goliath84 Wrote:

J

Have the same situation with my Philips OLED Android 10.
You can extend the device memory by using a USB stick. Simply put it in the tv, then TV settings->Android settings->memory->your usb stick-> format-> format as device memory.

After that, bigger apps are stored on the usb stick, or manually move the apps to the stick (tv settings->apps->your app-> storage location-> move to external storage)
My kodi 19.4 is on the usb stick (64gb stick)

This worked for me.
Plugged a 128gb stick in and added it to system Memory.

RE: Android tv limited space storage - help needed - carpediem - 2024-02-02

J

Btw I got a planty of storage on my laptop but everytime when I turn it on it it written to me that this addon extended limit by the one is 200 mb and another is for 100 mb
And I don't get it do I need an addon settings or what
Thax in advance