Kodi Community Forum
SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? (/showthread.php?tid=372931)

Pages: 1 2

SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Bluevyper - 2023-04-23

Wondering if this could be used with a harmony remote - Would love to be able to start the HTPC with a remote.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - DJ_Izumi - 2023-04-23

I actually just got one of these (And already ordered a second, I hope you can use them individually and one remote doesn't turn on two PCs at once!) but I think with the Harmony you'll be SOL.  This is an RF device and the Harmony remotes are all IR. You'd need something to send an the appropriate RF signal.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Bluevyper - 2023-04-23

I wonder what those sofabatons use  BT/IR/WIFI

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Bluevyper - 2023-04-23

Wonder if something like this would work with a harmony to get RF signals to it. https://www.amazon.com/Broadlink-Automation-Universal-Compatible-assistant/dp/B0753CDY86

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - DJ_Izumi - 2023-04-23

(2023-04-23, 22:41)Bluevyper Wrote: I wonder what those sofabatons use  BT/IR/WIFI
It's def RF and not BT or Wifi.  There's simple pairing and no 'intelligent' communication.  Which, IMO, is good.  It's 'dumb' but 'dumb' doesn't rapidly become 'obsolete'.  When I was shopping for mine I was even getting suggestions for alternate products that instead made a full Wifi connect and used some remote server for triggering.  Even 'WeChat integration'.

1) I'm not letting the Chinese control my PC's power button.
2) Whatever that is, it's app functionality would probs be dead and abandoned in a matter of years.

I have some 'Radio Nerd' friends and when I get the chance I want them to take a look at the signal, as I'm curious if it's possible to make alternate transmitters for it or other neat toys.

Looking for something to work with my harmony, I'm desperately trying to cut down on remotes.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - ashlar - 2023-04-27

(2023-04-23, 22:14)Bluevyper Wrote: Wondering if this could be used with a harmony remote - Would love to be able to start the HTPC with a remote.
What differentiates this from a RF power switch? I don't get it. Hmmm... maybe being USB it can initiate a clean shutdown.

Manual does not mention this, though.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - DJ_Izumi - 2023-04-29

(2023-04-27, 09:47)ashlar Wrote: What differentiates this from a RF power switch? I don't get it. Hmmm... maybe being USB it can initiate a clean shutdown.

Manual does not mention this, though.

It's not really USB.  I have the PCIE version, two of them.  How it works is it simply draws stand by power from the USB or PCIE bus, that's it.  They're not USB or PCIE devices.  They wire into the PWR and RESET switches on the mobo and literally just remotely trigger those.

But this allows the user to hit 'power' or 'reset' buttons remotely.  Or hold power for 4 seconds to force the mobo to full shutdown when otherwise you'd have to sit up and press power on the physical box.  Since they pull stand by power from a bus, they'll work with the PC in any power state.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Bluevyper - 2023-05-01

Not worried about shutting the HTPC down, that can be done with a remote easy, its starting it up thats the issue, harmony doesn't do RF so the thing won't work with it unless theres some sort of work around.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - gibxxi - 2023-05-01

I thought about getting one of these, since Pulse-Eight's USB-CEC adapter can't start the HTPC automatically from a cold state. Word of warning with these things is that [apparently] the remote eats through batteries in a month or two. One review I read (Amazon?), the reviewer said he was using Duracell batteries and the remote still failed to last much more than a month or two before requiring a battery change.

Since I 'can' remotely wake up the HTPC with 'Wake-On-LAN' in AnyDesk on my main PC, I decided that spending the [admittedly small] amount of cash on something like this, at this point in time, then have to keep buying batteries to put in the remote, just wasn't feasible, going forwards.

YMMV.

Dan / Gib.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Bluevyper - 2023-05-01

Yep read the same thing about the batteries, kinda weird for something your not constantly clicking, I might get one as a last resort but I'm still hunting around for other solutions, don't really want to leave it on in a sleep state.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - gibxxi - 2023-05-02

It's probably down to the wireless connection between the remote and PCIe card inside the computer. I have a wireless cycle computer that uses CR2032 batteries (Cat-Eye Micro Wireless). The batteries in the sender unit and the computer generally last at least 18 months for me, but the range of the signal is only about 1ft from the sender unit, to the computer so it's very low power, and thus low power drain on the battery. The drawback to this PCIe card is it needs a 24/7 wireless connection for the remote to function. Any interference, or range issues are highly likely to cause additional drain on the battery. Also, the card (and remote) will require higher transmit power than my cycle computer, as it needs to be able to send / recieve the signal at probably 20 feet distance at a minimum. Nice idea, but I don't think the remote is big enough. They ought to of gone with something that could take at least 1xAAA [rechargable] battery, IMHO.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Bluevyper - 2023-05-04

(2023-04-23, 22:38)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I actually just got one of these (And already ordered a second, I hope you can use them individually and one remote doesn't turn on two PCs at once!) but I think with the Harmony you'll be SOL.  This is an RF device and the Harmony remotes are all IR. You'd need something to send an the appropriate RF signal.

So hows the battery doing for you? I've read some people get better quality remotes, wondering if it was just the older ones that went through batteries faster

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - DJ_Izumi - 2023-05-05

(2023-05-04, 21:10)Bluevyper Wrote: So hows the battery doing for you? I've read some people get better quality remotes, wondering if it was just the older ones that went through batteries faster

Fine but it's been 3 weeks. That said, this seems to be one user reporting it? It could be a nothing burger and just an insane user.

The idea of high battery usage doesn't make sense to me. This remote does nothing other than squawk out one of two RF signals when you push one of two buttons. It'll 'hold' power on the PC for as long as you hold power on the remote. It seems pretty 'dumb', in a good way, I doubt the remote is doing anything at all when I'm not pushing a button. But in a few months I'll report if the CR2032's died.

And I do mean that I like that this device is 'dumb'. There's nothing in it to go 'obsolete'. It just shorts some pins when it hears the right RF signal. While I was Googling them, my ads got filled with alternate devices, that connected into wifi themselves, and even offered an app and 'WeChat' integration. So first, that'll eventually be abandoned and the app will stop working. Second, as if I'm gonna give Tencent Holdings Ltd a means to push the damn power button on my PC. Ha ha, no. I like this 'dumb' device.

RE: SilverStone Tek 2.4G Wireless Power Remote with Power/Reset - Anyone try this thing? - Bluevyper - 2023-05-25

After much research for an IR solution I gave in and ordered mine today sigh.