Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] Option to install XBMC Live to SATA and PATA/ATA/IDE harddrive - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] Option to install XBMC Live to SATA and PATA/ATA/IDE harddrive (/showthread.php?tid=37317)

Pages: 1 2 3

[LIVE] Option to install XBMC Live to SATA and PATA/ATA/IDE harddrive - InDashMP3 - 2008-09-18

Wow! Great work on the beta, and the LIVE packaging. Have no media on this test machine right now, but the HD interface/sounds/etc are great.

Question - The Options presented are ATI/Nvidia/Intel, and install to USB. The small size of this package and integrated o/s are very disireable. I have a SATA to CF adapter, and successfully configured Ubuntu Mini to run with XBMC, but would much rather install this package to my CF. It appears as though the install will not work unless a removable drive is installed (which makes sense as this is how this release is targetted). Is there any way to simply install to Hard Disk this version? Basically, an all in one package for hard disk install. Thanks again!

- lcapriotti - 2008-09-18

short answer: yes there is.

Long answer: we still need to arrive to the point where that could be done easily, so for the moment we are going for removable media only.
Stay tuned, booting from fixed disks will happen!

- EvilDevil - 2008-09-18

Hi,

there's a dirty way to install it manually.
You need a recent linux distro installed on your computer (a linux live cd should do the job too, e.g. http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page ).
Mount the CD on /media/cdrom
Mount the rootfs image(squashfs) from the cdrom to /mnt:
mount -o loop /media/cdrom/rootfs.img /mnt
Mount the target disk:
mkdir /media/target
mount /dev/sdXX /media/target
cp -a /mnt/* /media/target
umount /mnt

(Only for AMD/ATI graphics):
mount -o loop /media/cdrom/restrictedDriver.amd.img /mnt

(Only for NVidia graphics):
mount -o loop /media/cdrom/restrictedDriver.nvidia.img /mnt

(Use this only if you know what you're doing, this alters your boot sector!)
mkdir /media/target/boot
cp /media/cdrom/initrd* /media/cdrom/vlinuz /media/target/boot
cd /media/target
mount -o bind /dev dev
mount -o bind /tmp tmp
mount -o bind /proc proc
mount -o bind /sys sys
chroot .
(This is untested!):
grub-install /dev/sdXX
# Add the initramdisk and the vmlinuz file to the /boot/grub/menu.lst

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Patrick

- Gamester17 - 2008-09-18

@InDashMP3, please submit a new feature request ticket on trac for this:
http://trac.xbmc.org

May I suggest you use the topic:
"[LIVE] Option to install XBMC Live to SATA and PATA/ATA/IDE harddrive"

- InDashMP3 - 2008-09-18

Thanks! Ticket #4911 created for this feature request. Unfortunately, TRAC did not allow me to select Beta 1 for Version, and I wasn't sure what to select for Milestone either.

Use XBMC Live on main HDD - Kprojekt - 2008-09-19

Was wondering if it is possible to mount XBMC Live onto the main HDD and use that to boot the system instead of a CD or USB.

CD works fine, USB worked once and now it stopped.

Also is it possible to save the settings after reboot?

- pike - 2008-09-19

"LiveCD" kinda negotes that

But LiveUSB should support saving settings

- Kprojekt - 2008-09-19

I suppose it does. I just like the fact it's a self contained system and I don't have to muck around with Linux settings to get everything up and running.

Guess I have to purchase a better USB Stick > My current solution is Micro SD in a USB 2.0 Hub

- Kprojekt - 2008-09-19

So regardless of the USB I've managed to make it work.

The only problem is the device will automatically boot to vista even if USB is in top priority on the Bios setup. To remedy this I removed C altogether from the BIOS which resulted in losing the mounting options of my main drive in XBMC

Can anyone post an easy how-to install XBMC Live on hdd? - butchjr - 2008-09-20

I really love XBMC Live, but I would love it even more if I could install it on my harddrive, for permanent boot. I use Hardy + XBMC right now. But why not use the XBMC Live, as it boots much faster.

What I would like to do is autoboot XBMC Live with Nvidiagfx from my main harddrive.

If anyone could help me, step-by-step, I would be very thankful!

/Björn

- vectorite - 2008-09-21

a simple search finds this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37317

- butchjr - 2008-09-21

I have seen that one. But it doesn't seem easy to me Wink

- s7mx1 - 2008-09-23

Be aware the following method will wipe any data on your first hard disk, use with caution.

When you boot up the live cd, switch to the console by press ctrl + alt + f1, and log in as root (there is no password set), and issue the following command:

Code:
vim /usr/bin/mkLiveUSB.sh -c :9,131d -c ":8s/.*/export removableDrives=sda" -c :w\!mkdisk.sh -c :q\!

chmod +x mkdisk.sh
./mkdisk.sh

the above newly created script will install xbmc for you on the first hard drive (in this case sda which is the first hard disk recognized by linux). Be aware the script will wipe any data on it. There is no size limitation on it so make sure there is plenty space on your hard disk.

No offense but the original installation script is by no means a well tested and stable one and also the way the usb disk is done (I mean the internal disk image structure and boot loader [actually chain loaded from lilo to syslinux ]) is really awkward to me. If I have time probably I will "fix" it so it looks more naturally to me.

EvilDevil Wrote:Hi,

there's a dirty way to install it manually.
You need a recent linux distro installed on your computer (a linux live cd should do the job too, e.g. http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page ).
Mount the CD on /media/cdrom
Mount the rootfs image(squashfs) from the cdrom to /mnt:
mount -o loop /media/cdrom/rootfs.img /mnt
Mount the target disk:
mkdir /media/target
mount /dev/sdXX /media/target
umount /mnt

(Only for AMD/ATI graphics):
mount -o loop /media/cdrom/restrictedDriver.amd.img /mnt

(Only for NVidia graphics):
mount -o loop /media/cdrom/restrictedDriver.nvidia.img /mnt

(Use this only if you know what you're doing, this alters your boot sector!)
mkdir /media/target/boot
cp /media/cdrom/initrd* /media/cdrom/vlinuz /media/target/boot
cd /media/target
mount -o bind /dev dev
mount -o bind /tmp tmp
mount -o bind /proc proc
mount -o bind /sys sys
chroot .
(This is untested!):
grub-install /dev/sdXX
# Add the initramdisk and the vmlinuz file to the /boot/grub/menu.lst

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Patrick

- lcapriotti - 2008-09-23

s7mx1 Wrote:No offense but the original installation script is by no means a well tested and stable one and also the way the usb disk is done (I mean the internal disk image structure and boot loader [actually chain loaded from lilo to syslinux ]) is really awkward to me. If I have time probably I will "fix" it so it looks more naturally to me.

no offense at all. Looking forward to see your version of the install script, handling both USB and fixed disks!

- crackerbox - 2008-09-23

I got this working by doing the manual dirty method.

It boots up real nice and fast with grub.

I'm thinking about using a partition like this to replace the mediadirect partition on me dell laptop...