Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen? (/showthread.php?tid=37319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- feerlessleadr - 2008-09-29

jochenz Wrote:ik checked that on my laptop, ATI Mobility Radeon X2300.
black screen.

lemmerun my work by you, just to be sure:
made a folder in windows explorer called "config" on USB livedisk
then made a file using notepad called "xconf.org"
and pasted your "code" into it. saved it.

then booted my systems using the boot-stick. black screen!
shame, cause I just cant waite to testdrive this XBMClive.

I am what you would call a linux dumbass, but i think the bolded section should be xorg.conf not xconf.org

give that a shot

- jochenz - 2008-09-30

feerlessleadr Wrote:I am what you would call a linux dumbass, but i think the bolded section should be xorg.conf not xconf.org

give that a shot

Blush
I know 99% sure that is what I did wrong sofar. lemmecheck that 2nite. I'll get back to you!
Big Grin

- lcapriotti - 2008-09-30

remember to save it as an Unix-formatted text file...

- jochenz - 2008-09-30

l.capriotti Wrote:remember to save it as an Unix-formatted text file...

thanks! did that! using notepad++

now it errors at:

cannot remove /home/xbmc/.xsession

I'll make a new USB-stick 2nite and add the xorg.conf file in unix format. See if it helps! thanks sofar!

- cloud79 - 2008-09-30

jochenz Wrote:thanks! did that! using notepad++

now it errors at:

cannot remove /home/xbmc/.xsession

I have noticed that this error occurs when there are errors in your xorg.conf

Looks like for ati we will need specific .IMG - indianolajohn - 2008-09-30

If we can get someone to make some specific RESTRICTEDDRIVERS_AMD.IMG
that relate specifically to a card or integrated motherboard that would be amazing
RESTRICTEDDRIVERS_AMD.IMG_780g is the one im looking for
RESTRICTEDDRIVERS_AMD.IMG_X1650
or RESTRICTEDDRIVERS_AMD.IMG_x850 would be nice too
but one that works with the 780g would help out a ton of people who bought boards specifically for this build

- lcapriotti - 2008-10-01

A bit overkill considering you just need a working xorg.conf for that, don't you think so?
And FYI int's not simply a matter of chipset or videocard, but also what kind of monitor you have connected to it!

- lcapriotti - 2008-10-01

A bit overkill considering you just need a working xorg.conf for that, don't you think so?
And FYI int's not simply a matter of chipset or videocard, but also what kind of monitor you have connected to it!

- jochenz - 2008-10-01

cloud79 Wrote:I have noticed that this error occurs when there are errors in your xorg.conf

I made a brand new xorg.conf and the systems boots just fine now.

Ati mobility X2300 works just fine now.

thanksBig Grin man!

- lcapriotti - 2008-10-02

Still having problems? Boot with "safe" option, have a look at the unofficial ATI wifi config page and follow these instructions.

- linko - 2008-10-02

Has anyone got it to run with 780G (HD3200) ?

- linko - 2008-10-04

Nevermind, it's working now. Ran:
aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Btw, you cant run aticonfig in safe mode.
Only problem now is that I have no sound =)

- Mojonba - 2008-10-05

I got it working with a Radeon 9550 but Im getting video corruption while playing a movie. Corruption is sort of weird beacuse the screen like divided in 4 parts (think playing multiplayer first person shooter) and the upper right quadrant is not corrupted the other three are. Any help will be appreaciated.

- cloud79 - 2008-10-06

Mojonba Wrote:I got it working with a Radeon 9550 but Im getting video corruption while playing a movie. Corruption is sort of weird beacuse the screen like divided in 4 parts (think playing multiplayer first person shooter) and the upper right quadrant is not corrupted the other three are. Any help will be appreaciated.

You'll need to do this:
Under /usr/share/xbmc/userdata i had to create advancedsettings.xml with this content
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <glrectanglehack>1</glrectanglehack>
</advancedsettings>

- jochenz - 2008-10-06

jochenz Wrote:I made a brand new xorg.conf and the systems boots just fine now.

Ati mobility X2300 works just fine now.

thanksBig Grin man!

I have to get back on that comment. Everything works fine, untill I end the movie using "X" on my keyboard. Or by stopping it using te mouse pressing "STOP" in de controls.

The screen turns black. I still hear the controls in tha background, but there is no screen. When I kill the X using ALT-CTRL-BACKSPACE I get into the Windowmanager. I then start xbmc again using a Xterm.