Kodi Community Forum
Win HOW-TO make XBMC for Windows boot as a Shell in Full Screen (the easy way) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Win HOW-TO make XBMC for Windows boot as a Shell in Full Screen (the easy way) (/showthread.php?tid=37492)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- waldo22 - 2010-05-31

DoubleSpeed Wrote:If you are using Windows 7 and just want XBMC to load up automatically along with your normal start-up just add a shortcut to XBMC into your Startup folder.

The problem with this is that you see all the stuff that goes with Windows... start menu, icons, etc.

Less of a "seamless" HTPC experience...

- DoubleSpeed - 2010-05-31

Yeah I guess it depends if you want to use the PC as a PC as well, the Startup folder solutions is really simple and requires no fiddling around and you can quit XBMC and use your normal PC functions at any time.

- Jair - 2010-06-17

Hi all. When I try the Eventghost as shell method, it loads XBMC but all I get it's a black screen.
If I press ctrl+shift+esc to open the event manager the XBMC process is listed as running.
If I kill the process and the re-open it from event ghost it works without a glitch.

Any idea?

- sireddie - 2010-06-22

Jair Wrote:Hi all. When I try the Eventghost as shell method, it loads XBMC but all I get it's a black screen.
If I press ctrl+shift+esc to open the event manager the XBMC process is listed as running.
If I kill the process and the re-open it from event ghost it works without a glitch.

Any idea?

Try starting XBMC with a delay. I think it's -d 5 for example (starts with 5 second delay).

- Jair - 2010-06-25

The delay trick didn't change anything Sad

- k1282 - 2010-07-01

is there also a way to run itunes in the background when booting up the system? without me noticing it?

- therain93 - 2010-07-04

as0l0 Wrote:I've had a lot of success just skipping the eventghost step and having xbmc.exe set as my shell in the registry (for a specific user).

The problem with that for some people is that xbmc will just crash if not given enough time to find drivers....starting it with a 30 second delay with eventghost seems to circumvent this.

- therain93 - 2010-07-04

DoubleSpeed Wrote:Yeah I guess it depends if you want to use the PC as a PC as well, the Startup folder solutions is really simple and requires no fiddling around and you can quit XBMC and use your normal PC functions at any time.

The primary problem with launching xbmc from the startup folder is that it can lose focus as other background programs load up.

- therain93 - 2010-07-04

Jair Wrote:The delay trick didn't change anything Sad

set the delay for 30 seconds and give it a go. Something changed in Camelot that required me to use the delay flag too and going up that high was the only workaround.

- therain93 - 2010-07-04

k1282 Wrote:is there also a way to run itunes in the background when booting up the system? without me noticing it?

Perhaps start it minimized with eventghost?

- vandelay - 2010-12-10

Okay...I'm a little surprised that there isn't more info on this...am I the only one that can't get this to work?
I do believe I've followed the steps properly- downloaded silentlaunch, put it on the C:, downloaded instantsheller, put it on the C:, created, silentlaunch.cfg and pointed it to my xbmc executable.
Anyway, end result is this:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EXPERIEN-E9B3D3>cd\

C:\>silentlaunch

C:\>SilentLaunch.exe -v

Reading config..
Application: "C:\program files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
Finish reading config..

Starting to launch applications
Launch: "C:\program files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
Param:
Res: Failed with code 5
Finished to launch applications
ERROR: One or more applications failed to launch

Any ideasHuh
The only thing I can think is it's because of the xp version I'm running. It's a stripped down version.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind...I'm an idiot. Now, the only thing I'm wondering about is an automatic shutdown of the pc when xbmc is shutdown...

- wil32 - 2010-12-21

yep the -fs option work, but -p doesnt work. so i removed -p, i also need to get my computer to shutdown and i shutdown xbmc

- Finchy - 2011-01-28

I'm using Windows 7 on an Acer Revo R3700 and tried this Silent Launch method but it won't work. Can anyone give me a step by step method for Windows 7 (clean install, not the original Acer bloated Windows 7 installation)?

Thanks

Sad

- x23piracy - 2011-02-15

Hi,

time to say read the much grown wiki page:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_make_XBMC_for_Windows_boot_as_a_Shell_in_Full_Screen

Greetz X23

- getafix - 2011-02-17

I tried the SilentLaunch option and it seems to work, but when I exit XBMC, I get a blank screen - is that "normal" It would be great to be able to exit XBMC and go back to Windows if need be.

Thanks