Kodi Community Forum
Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? (/showthread.php?tid=37563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- Squirrelking - 2008-11-05

To add my 2p (think theres about 12p's woth now):

I first came into contact with XBMC after buying an XBOX for the sole purpose of turning into a media centre a little over a year and a half ago. Since then it's worked perfectly for me and I have little to compalin about other than whats already been highlighted. I know lots of folk with a redundant XBOX gathering dust in a corner that would probably benefit from XBMC but just don't realise it's potential. Anyone who's ever used it has got it within seconds and worked it without difficulty (apart from streaming from sodding vista)

Now however I have a new problem to add to the mix. I'm shortly moving to a non cable supported area (projected installation ~2011!) and with the advent of on demand TV and such I need a media centre that will support this. The XBOX will do limited BBCiPlayer and ITV catchup but 4od is a non starter, similar story with my Wii which needs a 500pt browser download anyway. I want my media box to act as a torrent downloader (that myself and my other half can both can run easily), support the evil DRM and have easy support for hard drive upgrades and such without spending a few days messing about with FTP, obscure file systems and such. Yes I'm lazy but we don't all have the time to devote to XBOX and with a 1.4 atom dual core mini-ITX mainboard costing a shade over £70 a more powerful lump that will run XP is an attractive option for a lot of people.

That all said, the XBOX is and always will be the roots of XBMC and at the minimum it should be maintained on a "care and maintenance" basis for the undoubtly vast amount of users who still use it. However full scale support has to stop at some point whilst the team dedicate themselves to other platforms and the development of XBMC.

- jwerner2 - 2008-11-05

:confused2:

Why not? To be honest I feel it shouldn't even have any use for anything other than XBOX. What are you going to name it afterwords? Not XBMC .

I think the devs should concentrate more on making it better for the XBOX rather than have it running on completely non related systems. It never made any sense to me, XBOX media center for windows not xboxHuh?

- Jeroen - 2008-11-05

That's why it isn't called XBOX media center anymore.
Why would any other platform be unrelated? The XBOX is an old platform, they aren't going to be around forever.

- jwerner2 - 2008-11-05

It was always called XBMC for short even when it was just XBOX Media Center-so-what does it stand for nowHuh

It is still derived from the original name.

Lots of things in this world are out dated but still have support so that they stay around as long as they can!

I feel other platforms are not related cause they are not related to the XBOX,... are they?

Keep making it for other platforms but I think its unfair that they concentrate more on other platforms and neglect its original intent.

- tslayer - 2008-11-05

jwerner2,

XBMC no longer stands for anything. There was a whole discussion on this.

And if you read through the thread, you'll see that it won't be neglected if somebody steps up and decides they want to maintain the code. So, if you are that person, great! Otherwise, none of the current devs want to maintain it. It is a tedious task and not worth it.

- Jeroen - 2008-11-05

Quote:Lots of things in this world are out dated but still have support so that they stay around as long as they can!
XBMC is still working on the XBOX last time I checked. Nobody says it's going away, it's just that the XBOX is not capable of delivering what a modern mediacenter application is expected to do these days.

Quote:I feel other platforms are not related cause they are not related to the XBOX,... are they?
But why should it be related to the XBOX? Lots of mediacenter applications run on PC's and other devices.

Quote:Keep making it for other platforms but I think its unfair that they concentrate more on other platforms and neglect its original intent.
Why is it's original intent neglected? The original intent was to build a mediacenter application I assume. And again, your XBOX is running XBMC today isn't it?

- jwerner2 - 2008-11-05

Your taking everything I say and putting way out of context, waaaaay out of context!!!

Quote:XBMC is still working on the XBOX last time I checked. Nobody says it's going away, it's just that the XBOX is not capable of delivering what a modern mediacenter application is expected to do these days.

There is talk of it not being updated for the XBOX anymore so yes it will still work but any new development with the XBOX will stop. Where as the XBOX isnt capable of doing what modern media centers today can it is still nice to know that with XBMC on XBOX the XBOX is at least able to do something it was not intended for anyway!!

Quote:But why should it be related to the XBOX? Lots of mediacenter applications run on PC's and other devices.

I dont know how to make it any more clearer. It was made for the XBOX, how are any other platforms related to it? I also dont know how to make it any more clear that it is only in my OPINION they should at least keep concentrating on making it better and yes there are loads of media centers out for PC's but how many of them have roots with a home entertainment video gaming system:confused2:

Quote:Why is it's original intent neglected? The original intent was to build a mediacenter application I assume. And again, your XBOX is running XBMC today isn't it?

Again, its original intent was to be used on a modded XBOX system to make it even more enjoyable! If they stop making new releases for the XBOX then its original intent is being neglected! What system do you assume that media center was developed for exactly? Mac OS? Windows Vista?

Yes my XBOX is running great on XBMC today! I have multiple XBOX's and one is mainly for XBMC and nothing else and I am sure it will in the future but there can be way more interesting things done with it. These Dev's did wonders with XBMC from the very start Im sure they can do more!!

Sorry, I just find something very genuine about XBMC on XBOX!

- rwparris2 - 2008-11-05

tslayer Wrote:jwerner2,

XBMC no longer stands for anything. There was a whole discussion on this.

How about eXtremely Benevolent Media Center

</threadjack>

- FourTwentySmilz - 2008-11-06

What about "X-PMC".......meaning "Cross-Platform Media Center"

- jwerner2 - 2008-11-06

Now that would be cool.

- Geeba - 2008-11-06

FourTwentySmilz Wrote:What about "X-PMC".......meaning "Cross-Platform Media Center"

Yeah like that!! Big Grin

Still waiting to see all the features the Xbox isnt capable of running... big Hi-Res fanart maybe a web browser..Huh.. I realise its a complete drag for Jonathon to do (if I had a lot of money I'd pay!!) but I for one will be sad to see development stop.. XBMC, X-PMC call it what you want but dont forget your ROOTS! Blush

- pike - 2008-11-06

talk about beating a dead horse here No

Help out by taking ownership of maintaining Xbox version Nod,
or shut up Angry

- Geeba - 2008-11-06

Geesssss bad day? its almost friday!

Just general chat.... no need for anger! Huh

- arnova - 2008-11-16

Ok, the decision has been made: I will from now on maintain the Xbox-branch, at least until 9.04. Note that I will probably NOT implement/backport any major feature enhancements, but mainly fixes & tweaks just to keep XBMC for Xbox going for a little while. I hope you guys are happy now ;-)

- FreddyKrueger - 2008-11-16

Thanks arnova