Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=38333)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

PS3 adapter + harmony works fine in Mac - palmero - 2010-03-26

Just a quick update.

I have tested the Logitech PS3 adapter on Mac (Snow Leopard running on a intel iMac), using Remote Buddy.

First test: Using the Sony BD Remote.

The Remote Buddy software pairs the device and recognizes it as a SONY PS3 BD remote. Working flawlessly on XBMC (even changes subtitles and audio stream, aspect ratio... great)

Second test: Using Logitech PS3 adapter.

It is recognizes as a SONY PS3 BD remote. Exactly the same... And it works exactly the same! Plus now I can asign the volume buttons of the remote to control the A/V receiver and another button to change DSP sound...

Conclusions: For a MAC, the Logitech PS3 adapter is like a Sony PS3 BD remote, same in PS3, so it should be the same on Windows... or not?

I only have tested this with Windows 7 64 bits (Home Premium at home, Ultimate at work), and now in a Mac (and of course, with the PS3 itself).

I will test it on XP to see if there is any change... and it is a problem related to W7

Will keep you posted.

Update: Tested on Windows XP, using both the broadcom Stack with the integrated BT (VAIO Laptop) and with a Microsoft Bluetooth stack using a 2 USD dongle from dealextreme...

Both cases, SONY PS3 works fine, but Logitech does not work. It pairs, but after that it does not respond to IR commands....

Any idea?

Thanks!

- mzst - 2010-05-05

Thank you very much!
yesterday i bought the remote and it works like a charm.
i played around with it a litle bit and started to configurate the remote actions, when i noticed that there are some keyboard actions that are not listed in the drop down menu of the PS3 Remote Aplication (for exemple "backslash").
is there a way to add the missing keyboard actions or do i have to modify the .xml file of the xbmc?
also, what keys are the "Media_NextTrack", "Media_Stop", etc?
and can i manage the windows volume inside the xbmc, like with my hp IR remote? or is it not possible? i use windows xp btw

@superarcan: do you still need those icons? i never made some but i could try Wink

Thanks!

- sIRwa2 - 2010-05-06

Quote:i noticed that there are some keyboard actions that are not listed in the drop down menu of the PS3 Remote Aplication (for exemple "backslash").
is there a way to add the missing keyboard actions or do i have to modify the .xml file of the xbmc?
also, what keys are the "Media_NextTrack", "Media_Stop", etc?

Well the keyboard list was taken from Cheeta's laptop layout, hence the strange media functions.

and im not at my mediacenter atm but backlash should be amongst the options, maybe its listed under a different name.. (glyph) ?

@superarcan: so far i think the programe runs fine, it did crash (disappear) sometimes.. no clue why though

- broseff - 2010-05-06

Hey all

apologise in advance im sure this is a newb question

I have set up the ps3 remote, its recognised (thanks to bluesolei) and generally works great. the problem is that when i hold down the ps button for some reason windows media centre opens up. so im having to take out the batteries to save them when im not using it

i guess the key short cut i have isnt the right one to disconnect the blue tooth device.

is this simply a matter of changing the keycode in the ps3 remote aplication, and if so to what?

any help would be greatly appriciated, its a small problem but sooo frustrating

cheers

- mzst - 2010-05-06

nope, found nothing...the "O" also doesnt work, if you select it it turns into a 95....anyways, its not that bad, i just didnt wanted to mess with the keyboard.xml....
i didn't tested all of the keys, only the ones in the default .xml of xbmc

here's a list of all available keys of the aplication and the default actions of XBMC:
(haven't tested all yet, and some actions are probably missing because i took these from the wiki list, wich is incomplete)

Ctrl----------------------(None)
Alt-----------------------(None)
Shift---------------------(None)
"---None---"-------------(None)
Esc----------------------Home menu (remembering the last menu-position when you return to it)
Backspace----------------Parent Directory
Tab-----------------------Toggles fullscreen modes (either visualisation or video playback)
Return--------------------Select
Spacebar-----------------Pause
Page_Up------------------Page Up
Page_Down---------------Page Down
End-----------------------Shutdown XBMC
Home---------------------
Arrow_Left----------------Left
Arrow_Up------------------Up
Arrow_Right ---------------Right
Arrow_Down---------------Down
Print_Screen--------------
Insert ---------------------
Delete--------------------removes item from library after confirmation
NUMPAD_0----------------0
NUMPAD_1----------------1
NUMPAD_2----------------2
NUMPAD_3----------------3
NUMPAD_4----------------4
NUMPAD_5----------------5
NUMPAD_6----------------6
NUMPAD_7----------------7
NUMPAD_8----------------8
NUMPAD_9----------------9
Math_Multiply-------------
Math_Add-----------------Volume Up
Math_Subtract------------Volume Down
Math_Decimal-------------
Math_Divide---------------
F1------------------------(None)
F2------------------------(None)
F3------------------------(None)
F4------------------------(None)
F5------------------------(None)
F6------------------------(None)
F7------------------------(None)
F8------------------------(None)
F9------------------------(None)
F10-----------------------(None)
F11-----------------------(None)
F12-----------------------(None)
SemiColon-----------------
Equals_Sign---------------
Comma--------------------Skip Previous
Hyphen-------------------
Period---------------------Skip Next
Foward_Slash---- ----------
Single_Quote---------------
Media_NextTrack-----------
Media_PreviousTrack-------
Media_Stop----------------
Media_PlayPause-----------
Left_Windows--------------
Right_Windows-------------
A--------------------------
B--------------------------
C--------------------------Context Menu
D--------------------------
E--------------------------
F--------------------------FastForward
G--------------------------
H---------------------------
I---------------------------Media Info
J---------------------------
K---------------------------
L---------------------------Cycle subtitles
M--------------------------Activate OSD Player Controls
N--------------------------
O--------------------------Displays CPU usage and video diagnostic information (doesn't work!!)
P--------------------------Play
Q-------------------------Queue
R--------------------------Rewind
S--------------------------Activate Shutdown Menu
T--------------------------Toggle subtitles on and off
U--------------------------
V--------------------------
W-------------------------Marked as Watched
X--------------------------Stop
Y--------------------------
Z--------------------------

not available in the aplication:
Print Screen----------------Screenshot
Backslash (\)---------------Toggle Application Full Screen / Windowed mode

please help completing Tongue

- mzst - 2010-05-06

broseff Wrote:Hey all

apologise in advance im sure this is a newb question

I have set up the ps3 remote, its recognised (thanks to bluesolei) and generally works great. the problem is that when i hold down the ps button for some reason windows media centre opens up. so im having to take out the batteries to save them when im not using it

i guess the key short cut i have isnt the right one to disconnect the blue tooth device.

is this simply a matter of changing the keycode in the ps3 remote aplication, and if so to what?

any help would be greatly appriciated, its a small problem but sooo frustrating

cheers

Just change the keyboard action of "playstation" in "PS3 Remote aplication" (right click, configuration, double click on "playstation") to something you want or just delete it. dont forget to save (file, save)

- broseff - 2010-05-07

hey thanks for the quick reply

i realise i have to change it but what is the appropriate keyboard shortcuts to disconnect the bluetooth?

thats where im stuck

thanks

- mzst - 2010-05-07

broseff Wrote:hey thanks for the quick reply

i realise i have to change it but what is the appropriate keyboard shortcuts to disconnect the bluetooth?

thats where im stuck

thanks

oh ok. i thought you wanted to launch xbmc with the remote, sorry.
you need to install "BDRemotePowerManager.1.0.1.1" (page 13)
just unzip and execute, then do the steps as discribed in the post. if you have the widdcom stack drivers you need to unistall them first and install the microsoft bt stack. i won't have time to reply until after tomorow, so just try it out Tongue
good luck

- mzst - 2010-05-09

so did you manage to make it work?

- sIRwa2 - 2010-05-11

and if you want to "disconnect" manually, you have to press and hold the PS button for 6 seconds or more. that way the remote will shut down (disconnect)

- wizardcoder - 2010-06-13

erased

- twotone8 - 2010-06-13

so... the solution to the power problem is to remember to 'disconnect' the remote whenever it's not in use? i'm using windows 7 64-bit so i don't the ink the power manager application will help me out. seriously considering buying this remote, just want to make sure i'm not buying batteries ever three days.

as far as i understand it, the ps3 remote will work like a charm, as long as i remember to hold the ps3 button for 6-seconds whenever i'm not using it.

am i correct?

- Fleegle - 2010-06-28

Has anyone tried this method using a BluLink remote? Link

I got my PS3 remote working with the program linked here, so I was hoping that the PS# BlueTooth portion of the BluLink remote would be a working solution to my XBMC remote confusion.

- jitterjames - 2010-06-29

twotone8 Wrote:so... the solution to the power problem is to remember to 'disconnect' the remote whenever it's not in use? i'm using windows 7 64-bit so i don't the ink the power manager application will help me out. seriously considering buying this remote, just want to make sure i'm not buying batteries ever three days.

as far as i understand it, the ps3 remote will work like a charm, as long as i remember to hold the ps3 button for 6-seconds whenever i'm not using it.

am i correct?

that is correct. You will not want to be pressing the ps3 button for 6 seconds all the time though. The solution is simple. If you don't already have a battery charger get one with 4 AA nimH batteries. The remote takes two batteries. They will last you from a few days to maybe a week or two. When they run out, swap them with the other two and throw them in the charger. it takes two seconds.

rinse and repeat.

- djdafreund - 2010-07-02

I found something odd. I pulled out my PS3 remote to start using it, grabbed the link off first page, but won't work inside XBMC. I got the xbmc setting's set, and the remote is working great in everything BUT XBMC. In firefox, the buttons properly control things, and in wordpad the cursor button's work, and SMS buttons, and the PS button i set to open up XBMC works fine also, but when inside xbmc, XBMC isn't responding to ANY button's from the remote. WeirdHuh The moment i exit out manually, and hit a button, it's still working outside XBMC. Any suggestions?

Another thing i noticed, might be helpful or not, but pulling a battery out, then a few minute's later put it back in, and the controls are working fine again without a hitch. I don't know if that's helpful to others being afraid of draining the batteries when not using.

Oh yeah, using Windows 7 64bit, and original sony ps3 BD remote, and an XBMC build from last night's SVN (The 1st. Later tonights changes wasn't warranting a build is all.)