Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=38333)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - miljbee - 2013-01-26

See page 19 of the following Manual :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3RTucUBY2bwbnRrbHdfdXZkVTQ/edit

RE: - miljbee - 2013-02-07

(2010-05-11, 22:07)sIRwa2 Wrote: and if you want to "disconnect" manually, you have to press and hold the PS button for 6 seconds or more. that way the remote will shut down (disconnect)
Yesterday, I have measured the power drawn by the remote before and after holding the ps button for 6 secs.
It makes absolutely no difference.

Maybe this way to disconnect the remote is a myth, or maybe it won't work on my setup ...

I am using seven x64 with ms bt stack.

I will try with the widcomm stack as soon as I receive my belkin dongle (broadcom chip inside)

RE: - miljbee - 2013-02-11

(2013-02-07, 12:12)miljbee Wrote:
(2010-05-11, 22:07)sIRwa2 Wrote: and if you want to "disconnect" manually, you have to press and hold the PS button for 6 seconds or more. that way the remote will shut down (disconnect)
Yesterday, I have measured the power drawn by the remote before and after holding the ps button for 6 secs.
It makes absolutely no difference.

Maybe this way to disconnect the remote is a myth, or maybe it won't work on my setup ...

I am using seven x64 with ms bt stack.

I will try with the widcomm stack as soon as I receive my belkin dongle (broadcom chip inside)

Sorry, I haven't measured correctly.
Now, I get 15.8mA before holding the ps button for 6s
and 0.137mA after.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - miljbee - 2013-02-13

I have found another way to hibernate the remote.
It should work on any Windows from vista to 8.
No special hack is required, the following program uses Official APIs/IOCTL.
you can get it here :
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B3RTucUBY2bwNmgwajZPLUFJQ2M
Source code available @ stackoverflow :
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14829164/how-to-disconnect-a-bluetooth-device-from-c-sharp-net-in-win7/14839027#14839027
(Perhaps cheetah05 could include this code into its PS3BluMote App)

This program is simply telling windows to close a bluetooth connection. For the PS3 BD Remote, it means it will be disconnected (and then it will sleep - checked with the ammmeter).
This program isn't specific to the PS3 Remote, it can disconnect any bluetooth device.
You will have to tell it what bluetooth device to disconnect, and you use the btAddress of your remote for that. You will find it on the bluetooth tab of the property dialog of the remote. this address is similar to a mac address, something like 00:11:22:33:44:55 (6 pairs or hex digits).
Once you have this address, you simply launch the program like this :
BTDisco2 00:11:22:33:44:55.

It's a console program, no setup, just the exe and the dll.

A few things to note :
- If your remote is already sleeping (you have pressed the PS button for 6 secs), this program won't do anything
- After using this program, when you press a key on the remote, it reconnects, but EG/PS3BluMote won't get this key. The key you pressed to wake the remote is lost. The next keys will work.
- you will need .Net 3.5+
- I have noticed that sometimes, If I try to use the remote right after the program has ran, it won't reconnect. It seems a few minutes are needed before being able to reconnect.

Let me know if it works for you.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - TruGMR - 2013-02-13

Forgive me if I missed this, but has anybody solved how to avoid re-pairing the remote every time you change the batteries? Rechargeables seem to solve the drain issue for me...but re-pairing this joint through windows every time I change the batteries sux! Anybody got suggestions how to permanently pair the remote in windows? I'm using frodo with vista on the HTPC and frodo with windows 8 on my laptop!!! You guys have been great in this forum btw!!!

Huh

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - miljbee - 2013-02-14

Hello,
I have switched the batteries a lot and I never need to repair. As soon as I press a key on the remote, it connect and that's all !
Either your remote is defective, either your computer setup/drivers is broken.
Sorry if it doesn't help a lot !

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - TruGMR - 2013-02-14

Hmmm....I suspected this...maybe need to scrub and reinstall....

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - aperfectme - 2013-02-14

(2013-02-13, 16:26)miljbee Wrote: I have found another way to hibernate the remote.
It should work on any Windows from vista to 8.
No special hack is required, the following program uses Official APIs/IOCTL.
you can get it here :
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B3RTucUBY2bwNmgwajZPLUFJQ2M
Source code available @ stackoverflow :
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14829164/how-to-disconnect-a-bluetooth-device-from-c-sharp-net-in-win7/14839027#14839027
(Perhaps cheetah05 could include this code into its PS3BluMote App)

This program is simply telling windows to close a bluetooth connection. For the PS3 BD Remote, it means it will be disconnected (and then it will sleep - checked with the ammmeter).
This program isn't specific to the PS3 Remote, it can disconnect any bluetooth device.
You will have to tell it what bluetooth device to disconnect, and you use the btAddress of your remote for that. You will find it on the bluetooth tab of the property dialog of the remote. this address is similar to a mac address, something like 00:11:22:33:44:55 (6 pairs or hex digits).
Once you have this address, you simply launch the program like this :
BTDisco2 00:11:22:33:44:55.

It's a console program, no setup, just the exe and the dll.

A few things to note :
- If your remote is already sleeping (you have pressed the PS button for 6 secs), this program won't do anything
- After using this program, when you press a key on the remote, it reconnects, but EG/PS3BluMote won't get this key. The key you pressed to wake the remote is lost. The next keys will work.
- you will need .Net 3.5+
- I have noticed that sometimes, If I try to use the remote right after the program has ran, it won't reconnect. It seems a few minutes are needed before being able to reconnect.

Let me know if it works for you.

Hello I tried this method but its not working for me, can you explain me step by step how to set it up.
Thanks in advance.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - miljbee - 2013-02-14

Give me more info.about why it doesn't work. Does the program output an error msg ? Have you found the address of the remote ?

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - aperfectme - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-14, 21:22)miljbee Wrote: Give me more info.about why it doesn't work. Does the program output an error msg ? Have you found the address of the remote ?

First I cant see the remote "Adress", it says "Unavailable", I only see "The unique identifier"
but the remote is connected and working in xbmc, also when i tried to open the application
it closes after 3 seconds, ist that normal? should I also install some libraries ?

Im on W7 64x

Greetings!

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - miljbee - 2013-02-15

Yes, it might be called unique identifier. My 7 is french, and I don't knows how it translates exactly.
If it's a six pairs of hex numbers it should be the good one.

Have you launched it from a console (command prompt) to see if it outputs something ?
3s seems long. For me it's instant.

Concerning the libraries, it needs .Net 3.5. But if your W7 is up to date, it should be fine.
Also, in the .rar you have downloaded, you need to extract all the content. not only the .exe. the InTheHand.Net.dll is required.
Put all this in the same folder.
Then, open a command prompt/console/cmd/...
open that folder
type BTDisco2 yourRemoteAddress and hit enter.

The problem, is that it's not evident to see that it succeeded. From what I have experienced, if it succeeded, the next time you press a key on the remote, it shouldn't do anything, or at least, the corresponding action should be delayed (the remote needs to reconnect, before windows can catch the key pressed). The next keys will work.

If you have eventghost, when it succeed, you will see an event saying that the remote is removed.

If you want to be sure, plug a power meter between the remote and its batteries. Before calling BTDisco2 the remote should drawn something like 16mA. After, something like 0.13mA.

Also, please note that if the remote is connected to your HTPC, it should hibernate itself when you shutdown the HTPC, so In fact, you might not need this program.
It's usefull to manually hibernate the remote if it's associated whith a PC that's always on.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - aperfectme - 2013-02-15

(2013-02-15, 11:38)miljbee Wrote: Yes, it might be called unique identifier. My 7 is french, and I don't knows how it translates exactly.

Have you launched it from a console (command prompt) to see if it outputs something ?

Concerning the libraries, it needs .Net 3.5. But if your W7 is up to date, it should be fine.
Also, in the .rar you have downloaded, you need to extract all the content. not only the .exe. the InTheHand.Net.dll is required.
open that folder

The problem, is that it's not evident to see that it succeeded. From what I have experienced, if it succeeded, the next time you press a key on the remote, it shouldn't do anything, or at least, the corresponding action should be delayed (the remote needs to reconnect, before windows can catch the key pressed). The next keys will work.

If you have eventghost, when it succeed, you will see an event saying that the remote is removed.

If you want to be sure, plug a power meter between the remote and its batteries. Before calling BTDisco2 the remote should drawn something like 16mA. After, something like 0.13mA.

Also, please note that if the remote is connected to your HTPC, it should hibernate itself when you shutdown the HTPC, so In fact, you might not need this program.
It's usefull to manually hibernate the remote if it's associated whith a PC that's always on.

Thanks for the complete explanation!
Works like a charm, but I have some comments and tips:

In the BD Remote control properties the adress that we need can be founded under
the Bluetootht tab under the name of Unique Identifier; you will se an Hexa number like this: 00:26:42:bf:55:c2

I also created an exe with this command to execute BTDisco2 + 00:26:42:bf:55:c2

@echo off
start /d "C:\Users\aperfectme\Downloads\BTDisco2" BTDisco2.exe 00:26:42:bf:55:c2
@echo off

And then I defined a shorcut to the BTDisco2.exe, with the little app Hot Key Plus ( I tried within the windows option propertions/Shorcut, but didnt work)
then I pointed to this shorcut using the PS Button in PS3BlueMote; I used Shift+Ctrl+Alt+X.

Now everytime I pressed the PS button the remote goes to sleep, and with 2 presses of any other button it wakes up!
Im really happy with the results and I hope that somebody else can found this Tip useful.

ps: sorry for my english its not very good for technical stuff
greetings from Berlin.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - miljbee - 2013-02-15

Glad to see that it does work !

(2013-02-15, 13:39)aperfectme Wrote:
(2013-02-15, 11:38)miljbee Wrote: Yes, it might be called unique identifier. My 7 is french, and I don't knows how it translates exactly.

open that folder

Thanks for the complete explanation!
Works like a charm, but I have some comments and tips:

In the BD Remote control properties the adress that we need can be founded under
the Bluetootht tab under the name of Unique Identifier; you will se an Hexa number like this: 00:26:42:bf:55:c2

I also created an exe with this command to execute BTDisco2 + 00:26:42:bf:55:c2

@echo off
start /d "C:\Users\aperfectme\Downloads\BTDisco2" BTDisco2.exe 00:26:42:bf:55:c2
@echo off

And then I defined a shorcut to the BTDisco2.exe, with the little app Hot Key Plus ( I tried within the windows option propertions/Shorcut, but didnt work)
then I pointed to this shorcut using the PS Button in PS3BlueMote; I used Shift+Ctrl+Alt+X.

Now everytime I pressed the PS button the remote goes to sleep, and with 2 presses of any other button it wakes up!
Im really happy with the results and I hope that somebody else can found this Tip useful.

ps: sorry for my english its not very good for technical stuff
greetings from Berlin.

I need to report some issues using this method, when launching the .exe that I created it prompts a console
and exit xbmc fullscreen, also I noticed that somethimes it chashes PS3BlueMote.
Maybe I'll try using another app to set the shortcuts and also I would like to try a method to hide
the console when pressing the PS button.

Maybe something like this

INVISIBLE:

Save the following line as invisible.vbs (use Notepad Save As... All Files)

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run """" & WScript.Arguments(0) & """", 0, False

Confirm you have Scripting installed (By typing wscript in the Start Run dialog)

Start Run the following line, Replace the "MySubFolder" with your file paths

wscript "C:\MySubfolder\invisible.vbs" "C:\MySubfolder\MyBatchFile.bat"

I will try this tomorrow at home.
I hope this its gonna be the final fix !

Night!

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC - cheetah05 - 2013-02-16

(2013-02-15, 15:43)miljbee Wrote: Glad to see that it does work !

I don't have a windows machine at hand to edit the source code for the application, but since it is open source, you can do it yourself. Source code can be found here: http://www.benbarron.com/applications/ps3blumote/source

You need to edit the timerHibernation_Elapsed() function here: https://github.com/Ben-Barron/PS3BluMote/blob/master/PS3Remote.cs

and add your code to disable the remote.

You also need to enable the checkbox on the settings form and include the bluetooth library.

Then you should be able to compile and use the code to automatically disconnect the remote after a set amount of time. By default this setting will be disabled so you will need to edit it in the settings where you edit the keys