Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON VFD/IR Receiver (used by many HTPC chassis) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO configure Soundgraph iMON VFD/IR Receiver (used by many HTPC chassis) (/showthread.php?tid=40290)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

- rockerduck - 2009-03-25

Does the following remotes (no vfd) by Soundgraph work with lirc and xbmc?

http://www.soundgraph.de/knob.html
http://www.soundgraph.de/inside.html

thank you

- cporter23 - 2009-03-27

rockerduck Wrote:Does the following remotes (no vfd) by Soundgraph work with lirc and xbmc?

http://www.soundgraph.de/knob.html
http://www.soundgraph.de/inside.html

thank you

I have the iMON Inside receiver and remote. The LIRC version in the Ubuntu Hardy repos supports it, although it took me some time to get it working (my first time working with LIRC), and I had to use irrecord to create my own remote codes mapping file. I had to create my own Lircmap.xml in xbmc, as well.

- cofin - 2009-03-29

Has anyone tested the new Ubuntu beta with this setup? I'm curious to see if the updated version of lirc/lcdproc contains any or all of these patches.

Is this the package in Jaunty?

- rickx - 2009-04-09

I'm using Jaunty. It's much better than 8.10 for my setup (and probably in general). For my hardware the "vanilla" lirc still does not work. That's because I need BUF_CHUNK_SIZE set to 8 instead of 4. All other changes made it into the new lirc_imon version. Stupid enough, that chunk-size was left out. Probably because guys with antec cases don't need it...don't know. I know that doubleing that size makes the ir-codes double in size, so also the codes changing only AFTER the first 4 bytes (my number buttons and the ones on the case) will be recognized/distinguished. Making that change would not harm the ones not needing it and at the same time work OOTB with strange cases like mine (a german/chinese Inter-tech 2008V case with same id as antec but different ir codes).

- cofin - 2009-04-18

Excellent! I'll give it a try when I get a little free time. If it works out, I'll update the initial posting to point everyone in the right direction.

rickx Wrote:I'm using Jaunty. It's much better than 8.10 for my setup (and probably in general). For my hardware the "vanilla" lirc still does not work. That's because I need BUF_CHUNK_SIZE set to 8 instead of 4. All other changes made it into the new lirc_imon version. Stupid enough, that chunk-size was left out. Probably because guys with antec cases don't need it...don't know. I know that doubleing that size makes the ir-codes double in size, so also the codes changing only AFTER the first 4 bytes (my number buttons and the ones on the case) will be recognized/distinguished. Making that change would not harm the ones not needing it and at the same time work OOTB with strange cases like mine (a german/chinese Inter-tech 2008V case with same id as antec but different ir codes).

- michal - 2009-04-20

I've tried to search but I only found inconclusive snippets of info.

Can the Xbox1 DVD remote work with the IR receiver in the iMON?

I've currently got the Xbox receiver connected via an Xbox->USB adapter but it would be much better if I could bypass that.

- EMK0 - 2009-04-20

Will this guide work with 15c2:ffdc ? i tried but i get a error when i run

xbmc@htpc:~/lirc$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source
Removing all DKMS Modules
Done.
Adding Module to DKMS build system
Doing initial module build

Error! Build of lirc_imon.ko failed for: 2.6.24-23-generic (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/lirc/0.8.3~pre1/build/ for more information.
Installing initial module

Error! Could not locate lirc_atiusb.ko for module lirc in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.24-23-generic (i686) first.
Done.
xbmc@htpc:~/lirc$

i see someone here go it working but there guide i don't understand

berland Wrote:I have an Antec 430 EU (seems that they skipped the remote in this version). My USB-id is
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 15c2:ffdc SoundGraph Inc. iMON PAD Remote Controller

I only get one device, /dev/lirc0, so not all of this applies to me. Let me try to summarize what I had to do on Ubuntu 8.10/2.6.27-11

Manually compiled lirc (0.8.3), but not sure that was necessary.
Using a mceusb configuration file for lircd.conf
Starting lircd in /etc/rc.local using only "lircd --device=/dev/lirc0"

Now the important bit for the LCD display, the kernel module option:
xbmc@htpc:~$ grep lirc /etc/modules
lirc_imon is_lcd=0

Let is_lcd equal 1 if you have the blue backlit display (this different LCD panel also has the ffdc-identifier).
LCDd compiled manually, 0.5.2, no patches, but configuration file must be fixed manually as described in other posts here.

- rickx - 2009-04-20

reading through this thread would help...
anyway leave all the lirc-modules-source comands away. Or move away from intrepid. Just compile and install the "old school way", then load the module(s) lirc_imon (and maybe also lirc_dev...or was it imon_dev??).
This will avoid you SOME of the headaches Shocked

(I wonder why lirc-modules-sources and the dkms and reconfigure stuff was suggested at all)

- cofin - 2009-04-25

This was the method that worked for me... that would be why I suggested it. Wink

If you have another way that is consistently reproducible, please enlighten us all. I would much prefer a easier method.

At any rate, I feel that this post will become obsolete with the release of Jaunty. But I still have not had a chance to test.

rickx Wrote:reading through this thread would help...
anyway leave all the lirc-modules-source comands away. Or move away from intrepid. Just compile and install the "old school way", then load the module(s) lirc_imon (and maybe also lirc_dev...or was it imon_dev??).

(I wonder why lirc-modules-sources and the dkms and reconfigure stuff was suggested at all)

- cofin - 2009-04-25

I do not believe that it will work. I would expect the iMON receiver will only accept a certain IR range.

The only way to know for sure would be to try and capture the IR codes in lirc.

michal Wrote:I've tried to search but I only found inconclusive snippets of info.

Can the Xbox1 DVD remote work with the IR receiver in the iMON?

I've currently got the Xbox receiver connected via an Xbox->USB adapter but it would be much better if I could bypass that.

- EMK0 - 2009-04-26

rickx Wrote:reading through this thread would help...

you make it sound so easy i am a complete noob with linux and i just want to get it to work as i will not be messing with linux other then updating xbmc.

- Gurney - 2009-04-27

Hi guys,

Just upgraded to Jaunty and having trouble to get lirc work (again...) with my 0038 device.

I found this and this.

It looks simple enough but unfortunatly it didn't make the trick for me.

Can one of you linux gurus try this procedure and comment it?

Notas:
- the patch is flawed, you need to specify the imon_lirc.c file path for it to work
- I assumed we need the standard lirc 8.04 jaunty package, but I get the error "couldn't load the proper modules" when starting the patched daemon

Thanks!
Gurney

- Gurney - 2009-04-30

Ok, if you install lirc from the repo and follow the instructions above, it works.

you just need to edit the provided /etc/init.d/lirc to remove -k in the line
Code:
modprobe -k $mod 2> /dev/null || MODULES_MISSING=true

But for some reason lirc is started before the daemon is called upon boot, resulting in an error...

- Gurney - 2009-05-20

Could someone upload a working /usr/local/lib/lcdproc/imonlcd.so compiled for jaunty i386 ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
Gurney

- odinb - 2009-05-20

For Jaunty, I followed (and updated) this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IMON_VFD_and_LCD

And it worked on first try on a fresh Jaunty install!!

Good luck!

//Odin