Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- Hitcher - 2009-01-30

Try with the correct path -

[HTML]<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mplayerc.exe</filename>
<args>-fs</args>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>[/HTML]

Also, are you launching it using -p?

- taxigps - 2009-01-31

THX-UltraII Wrote:So, ive downloaded the version XBMCSetup-Rev17458-jester-ext.exe 30-Jan-2009 10:10. However, MPC HC still will not run. Only the internal player start running. MPC HC is stored here on my HDD C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mplayerc.exe.

I ve made a file called advancedsettings.xml in the dir. C:\Documents and Settings\sander\Application Data\XBMC\userdata. The file contains the following information:

also tried it with this information:

None of them seems to work. HELP HERE NEEDED! Nod

thanks guys

try to save the advancedsettings.xml in the dir
C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata

- -wde- - 2009-01-31

@THX-UltraII

Taxigps and Hitcher are spot on. You are running XBMC in portable mode according to your post here.

- THX-UltraII - 2009-01-31

thxz for your help guys! Only still not working. I ve copied the advancedsettings.xml file to C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata. The file contains the following information now:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<video>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<args>-fs</args>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Next I went to the XBMC shotcut on my desktop and richtclicked properties. The target there was "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs (I had already added -fs because without -fs XBMC would t start running at my pc). So, ive changed the target with -p but then XBMC will not run. I ve tried lots of other variants but in all cases XBMC will not start running. I ve tried:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs -p
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p -fs
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p

None of thems works.....

Now what Sad

- jmarshall - 2009-01-31

Do a debug log.

- THX-UltraII - 2009-01-31

I ve tried all sorts of things but it is still not working. How do I make a debug log?

- Hitcher - 2009-01-31

Have you tried this yet?

Hitcher Wrote:I'd suggest you delete/move the whole USERDATA folder from your Docs & Settings and then launch with -p so it makes a fresh one as there seems to be something in there it's not liking.

- tvont - 2009-02-01

Jester Wrote:I've upped a new build with the latest patch from moby-uk
XBMCSetup-Rev17458-jester-ext.exe

Just wanted to let you know that this build runs perfectly with vlc, no focus issues anymore while XBMC is in fullscreen mode. I use the following advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>c:\program files\Videolan\VLC\VLC.exe</filename>
<args>--play-and-exit --video-on-top --fullscreen</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks, jester!

I am currently working on the linux part - so hopefully this issue is fixed soon there too.

- aussieburger - 2009-02-01

THX-UltraII Wrote:thxz for your help guys! Only still not working. I ve copied the advancedsettings.xml file to C:\Program Files\XBMC\userdata. The file contains the following information now:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<args>-fs</args>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Next I went to the XBMC shotcut on my desktop and richtclicked properties. The target there was "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs (I had already added -fs because without -fs XBMC would t start running at my pc). So, ive changed the target with -p but then XBMC will not run. I ve tried lots of other variants but in all cases XBMC will not start running. I ve tried:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs -p
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p -fs
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p

None of thems works.....

Now what Sad

I just got it working after some playing around. For me it was the <args>-fs</args> setting. Removing that line and it works (mpc does not recognise those parameters). You can set mpc up to automatically start in fullscreen without parameter usage Smile

PS: Thanks to everyone who worked on this feature!! I have a 60hz Samsung 720p HDTV that jitters like hell using the internal player Sad mpc is just so much smoother Smile

- droyden - 2009-02-01

Great work with this patch!
I just upgraded to the latest ver in a hope it would fix my intermittent problem with zoom. Sometimes it would be in the foreground (properly) and sometimes it would start in the background (behind xbmc).
Seemed pretty random, I could stop and start on the same mkv 3-5 times and then it would finally come to the front.

Anyway, I upgraded last night but then found something new zoom would start correctly in the foreground but then the video would be very slow/jittery (audio was fine)

Sounds like struggling CPU but taskmgr shows nothing over 25% (and those are spikes). It also runs fine manually running it without XBMC.

Unfortunately I dont know what version I upgraded from, but the htpc is running 32bit XP SP3, 6000+ X2 and an onboard hdmi ATI card.
I'll try older versions to see if I can find a working one.

- droyden - 2009-02-01

well, rolled back to this version:

XBMCSetup-Rev17368-jester-ext.exe

and all seems fine again..

Also I have noticed with these builds that the "back" button goes back to the main menu rather than what it used to do which was go "up" to the parent dir from the sub directory.. not sure if that was an intentional change? (sorry slightly OT)

- THX-UltraII - 2009-02-02

aussieburger Wrote:I just got it working after some playing around. For me it was the <args>-fs</args> setting. Removing that line and it works (mpc does not recognise those parameters). You can set mpc up to automatically start in fullscreen without parameter usage Smile

PS: Thanks to everyone who worked on this feature!! I have a 60hz Samsung 720p HDTV that jitters like hell using the internal player Sad mpc is just so much smoother Smile

Thanks for your reply, I ll try this tonight.
I m now back at the point where mpc hc gives me the following error:

Quote:unrecognized switch(es) found in command line string:

C:\Program Files\mpchc\mplayerc.exe /F C:\Documents and Settings\HD 1080p movies\PulpFiction.mpg

usage: mplayerc.exe "pathname" (switches)

and than some other not so important lines

So I will remove the line <args>-fs</args> in the .xml tonight and then see what happens.

IF this is the solution I m back with the other problem:
MPC HC ONLY starts running when running XMBC windowed (-p) and not Full-Screen(-fs). How do I make XMBC 'see' the .xml file in the -fs mode? This is something I still have not figured out yet........

- THX-UltraII - 2009-02-02

finally I am one step closer to External Player that works! BUT, there is still a big but Rolleyes:

I removed the line <args>-fs</args> and now MPC-HC start running but ONLY with my HD content (separate .mkv and .wmv files). I also have a lot of movies that contains a (regular) VIDEO_TS folder (standard def. dvd's). With this content MPC-HC does NOT start but the internal player of XBMC starts running. Is there a solution to make this work for the ext. player too or do I have to fill this in as a request with Jester?

- Mshake - 2009-02-02

@taxigps or anyone

Does the external player supports unicode now? As in, in the past, if my smb drive has a wierd character (jpn,korean/chinese), the links parsed to the external player is not understood by the external player so it would not play , jus showing as box box box box...

- Jester - 2009-02-02

Mshake Wrote:@taxigps or anyone

Does the external player supports unicode now? As in, in the past, if my smb drive has a wierd character (jpn,korean/chinese), the links parsed to the external player is not understood by the external player so it would not play , jus showing as box box box box...

this will be included in the next update of the patch, so the next build i release with the patch (-ext build) will include this (and hopefully work Wink