Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- injeee - 2009-12-11

Hi!

How do you people manage to use MPC-HC as external player - and still be able to play movies in RAR archives etc?
Can't get that to work with the latest beta2 release here.. anyone else?

My configuration is like follows...

<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close "{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>

- BigDaddyRal - 2009-12-15

Smiff Wrote:sorry, can someone please show how to change the default dvd player (XBMC.PlayDVD command) without xbmc appending "dvd://1" to the command line?

currently we are having to play DVDs through a player defined in the Programs menu, which is awkward when a Play Disc menu appears in the main menu! thanks very much.

I think I may be having a similar problem. I have the following setup:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="zplayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Zoom Player\zplayer.exe</filename>
      <args> "d:\video_ts\video_ts.ifo"</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
      <warpcursor>bottomright</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule dvd="true" player="zplayer"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Zoom player launches fine, but it appears XBMC sends something to the playlist (A "." i think) which takes ZP out of DVD mode and places it in Media mode.

Any obvious error I've made?

- scoopy2scoops - 2009-12-15

Bit if noob question, I did a search on this thread but couldn't find the answer:

I've configured XBMC to use MPC-HC just for MKV's. It's working well using mkv's from the local hard disc but when I tried to launch a mkv movie from a network drive or SMB share I get an error "unable to render the file". I tried mapping a network drive to the share and editing the source in XBMC to use the drive mapping rather than using an smb url but it made no difference.

If I manually launch MPC-HC and open the file from the network drive it plays fine.

Is there something extra I need to configure (script or xml wise)?

- just_steve - 2009-12-15

ive scoured the forums for an audio related fix but i can find one... i am looking to use touchtone 3 juke box software for playing music when pressing the music button in xbmc. i created the advancedsettings.xml in the filepath:

C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml

with these instructions:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</audio>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\TouchTone 3.exe</filename>
<args>-fs</args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

however it doesnt seem to be working, am i doing something wrong or am i missing the point with running an external player? i am running vista and build 9.04.1

i was wanting to use touch tone as it seems to be a good program for running with a touchscreen and seems quite "drunk proof". any help would be greatly appreciated

scoopy2scoops Wrote:Bit if noob question, I did a search on this thread but couldn't find the answer:

I've configured XBMC to use MPC-HC just for MKV's. It's working well using mkv's from the local hard disc but when I tried to launch a mkv movie from a network drive or SMB share I get an error "unable to render the file". I tried mapping a network drive to the share and editing the source in XBMC to use the drive mapping rather than using an smb url but it made no difference.

If I manually launch MPC-HC and open the file from the network drive it plays fine.

Is there something extra I need to configure (script or xml wise)?

Anybody any ideas? There's no password on the share.

scoopy2scoops - hellohello - 2009-12-15

editing the source isn't (usually) enough. did you rescan? make sure you also "clean" the database. if your movies/videos show up in the library, they should be playable. if not. select one of the movies, hit "i" and scroll to the section that denotes the path. does it match up?

in my experience, SMB has been buggy and i've stuck to drive mappings instead.

hellohello Wrote:editing the source isn't (usually) enough. did you rescan? make sure you also "clean" the database. if your movies/videos show up in the library, they should be playable. if not. select one of the movies, hit "i" and scroll to the section that denotes the path. does it match up?

Ok i'll try that, thanks for the help Smile

hellohello Wrote:editing the source isn't (usually) enough. did you rescan? make sure you also "clean" the database. if your movies/videos show up in the library, they should be playable. if not. select one of the movies, hit "i" and scroll to the section that denotes the path. does it match up?

I did a rescan, cleaned library and removed and readded the source. Still the same message "failed to render the file". Then I rebooted and it's fixed.

Thanks again!

- scoopy2scoops - 2009-12-16

Quick question:

What are the pros and cons of using:

<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">

or

- PantsOnFire - 2009-12-17

PantsOnFire Wrote:I love using xbmc its menus are great, and i love using mpc to play the vids. But when i launch mpc from xbmc, having xbmc behind it always causes mpc to occassionally tear and/or judder.

Does anyone else find this? Is it possible to minimise xbmc while mpc takes front and centre? -Id be interested to know if this fixes the problem. I have used the parameter to HIDE xbmc while externalplayer is playing but the problem still exists. :-(

can anyone help?

- moby-uk - 2009-12-17

scoopy2scoops Wrote:Quick question:

What are the pros and cons of using:

<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">

or

these attributes simply specify whether the player is capable of playing audio file and/or video (including audio) files. They won't affect the player selection but will cause the player to appear in the Play Using... menu even if no rules match the player to the item. (doesn't it say this in the wiki?)

- moby-uk - 2009-12-17

ltrambo85 Wrote:Which external player for XBMC is best for HD playback for the Nvidio Ion/Atom platform.

Im running Windows 7 x64
XBMC Build 9.11

If you have ION then use XBMC live; it'll eat HD for breakfast and you won't need an externalplayer.

- moby-uk - 2009-12-17

PantsOnFire Wrote:I love using xbmc its menus are great, and i love using mpc to play the vids. But when i launch mpc from xbmc, having xbmc behind it always causes mpc to occassionally tear and/or judder.

Does anyone else find this? Is it possible to minimise xbmc while mpc takes front and centre? -Id be interested to know if this fixes the problem.

thanks all.

there's no option for minimise, only to hide. there wouldn't be any difference, CPU-wise, between the two. when XBMC if hidden it should use exactly 0 CPU-time, check with taskmgr. do you have particularly weedy HW?

EDIT: just read in another post of yours you have an ASROCK 330, if you have ION then as I said above, give up with windows already, use XBMC Live and you won't need externalplayer.

- Rrrr - 2009-12-18

I found this thread and hope to solve my installation issue:

I installed the latest XBMC for Windows (RC1) and want to install an external player.
However, many of the threads including the current, discuss the settings needed in advancedsettings.xml which if I understand correctly are not anymore needed in RC1

Here is how I started:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_an_External_Player_for_media_playback
This link does not give me enough clues: it confuses me.

It talks about the need to create a playercorefactory.xml in XBMC\System folder (in my case C:\documents and settings\...\XBMC\System which is currently empty)
But I found playercorefactory.xml already in C:\Program Files\XBMC\system

Q1. Does it mean I need to create an ADDITIONAL playercorefactory.xml in C:\documents and settings\...\XBMC\System ?

I have downloaded and installed MPC-HC.

Q2. Please can someone point me to a script for playercorefactory.xml that is standard and a good point to start with?

- tamitaz - 2009-12-18

Hi,
The playercorefactory.xml already in C:\Program Files\XBMC\system is the default playercorefactory.xml that comes with XBMC.
Yes, you need to create a second one that you will modify with the configuration you want and place it in your user data folder that is specific to your user and will be used by XBMC for that user logged in to Windows Smile