Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- nokmond - 2010-01-21

wanderer Wrote:It seems that the external player support have taken a wrong turn lately. I was using rev-25498 and everything was just fine. I upgraded to 9.11 and now I get the problems described by "nokmond" and "Buckster". The flickering to desktop at start/stop video and sluggish UI after returning, due to XBMC busy looping. Previously there was also an overlay, "external player active", when running the external player, which was useful. Now it is gone. What have happened?

I downloaded the latest MPC-HC and its perfect now.

- abba77 - 2010-01-22

Is there a way to change the order of the arguements passed for the external player or is that built into the compiled code?

Right now, the arguements are parsed between the external player executable and the filename. BSPlayer needs the arguements after the the filename at the end.

I asked about this back in page 40, post 395, but wasnt able to make it work so used it as is without arguements. I was hoping this may have changed.

Thanks.

Problem returning to xbmc after externalplayer is finished - PantsOnFire - 2010-01-22

Hi.
1) I was noticing performance drop in mpchc when xbmc was in the background. Someone suggested I use hidexbmc=true, so I did. But when mpchc has finished, it dosen't resume to xbmc (it just sits at a black screen until I alt-tab to return to xbmc manually).
Is there a command I need to use to make it return? Or should it happen automatically.

My playercorefactory:
Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC\mplayerc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>true</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv|MOV|hdmov|wmv|m2ts|ts|RTMP|flv|swf|vf|x-flv|m4v" player="MPC-HC"/>
<rule dvd="true" player="dvdplayer"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

2) I also notice a slight flicker on the xbmc gui after I launch a film. Its quite minor, but any ideas why its happening? (it wasnt present before I used the 'hidexbmc' tag).

thanks. Smile

- abba77 - 2010-01-23

ignore this post. mistyped something causing new error. fixed.

- Jester - 2010-01-23

holy crap, it's still here Smile

*i just got back to xbmc after some personal issuses to work through*

- abba77 - 2010-01-24

good thing its still here jester. many people dont get any video even with the newer builds. my xp machine shows video, the win7 machine doesnt.

- hav0kZA - 2010-01-24

Anybody willing to lend a helping hand and some wise advice can you PLEASE help me out before I pull my hair out of my head Sad

According to Jester XBMC from Rev20983 and up use the "playercorefactory.xml" to configure external players (Or so it says on the 1st post)

Thus I created a "playercorefactory.xml" and stored it in the "userdata" folder (In both the XBMC installation folder and the Application Data Folder)

It looks something like this :

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="dvdplayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close "{1}"</args>
</player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>

Now theoretically it should launch MPC when I try to watch a video but it's a no go. It just damn well doesn't and for the life of me I have no idea why. I've searched all over the net and can't think of a reason it won't launch it with MPC. I've made sure that I didn't get the path wrong, I've even put in a incorrect path to see if it freaks out but it doesn't phaze XBMC and carries on like normal and launches it with the default player.

I've tried playing various video formats including : avi, mov, mkv and rmvb; but it's a no go.

Information that might be relevant :

Code:
Windows XP 64bit (Tried it on a 32bit box to)
XBMC 9.11 release

Any help (and I mean ANY help) would be VERY welcome.
Thank you

- abba77 - 2010-01-24

have you tried some of the other mpc-hc playercore settings from the previous page?

- hav0kZA - 2010-01-24

I have but with no results to show for it. I guess I'll have to stick with the built-in player until the next format, pretty sure that'll fix it.

Thank you anyway
(Still open for suggestion though)

- abba77 - 2010-01-25

i would change the player name from dvdplayer to mpc or something not one of the default internal players names. also add at least one rule. it kinda acted a little weird until i did.

try this and see what happens:

Quote:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="mpc" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close "{1}"</args>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv|avi|wmv|m2ts|ts|flv|swf|m4v|mp4" player="mpc"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

add any other video extensions you might have.

- moby-uk - 2010-01-25

hav0kZA Wrote:Anybody willing to lend a helping hand and some wise advice can you PLEASE help me out before I pull my hair out of my head Sad
Now theoretically it should launch MPC when I try to watch a video but it's a no go.

No, this only makes MPC-HC available as a player, it doesn't change what the default player is; you'd need some rules to do that. You should have a "Play using..." entry in the context menu for a video item, if not then http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Submit_a_Proper_Bug_Report will tell you how to generate a debug log without which it's pretty difficult to help you.

- oldpainless - 2010-01-27

Hi....Could anyone help.....dont think I've seen the answer in this thread.

Using MPC-HC as external player....works great. But, when I exit MPC-HC, I get a black screen and I have to alt-tab back to xbmc.....here's my config:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<filename>C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\MPC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv|MOV|hdmov|wmv|m2ts|ts|RTMP|flv|swf|vf|x-flv|m4v" player="MPC-HC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Any ideas.....cus apart from this issue....works like a dream. Im running winxp.

Cheers

K

UPDATE: Me bad....read the thread again....found a way to bring xbmc back in focus after exiting the film, but XBMC sits in the background hogging the cpu.....any ideas:

I used the following:

<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>

- nokmond - 2010-01-27

oldpainless Wrote:Hi....Could anyone help.....dont think I've seen the answer in this thread.

Using MPC-HC as external player....works great. But, when I exit MPC-HC, I get a black screen and I have to alt-tab back to xbmc.....here's my config:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<filename>C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\MPC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Any ideas.....cus apart from this issue....works like a dream. Im running winxp.

Cheers

K

UPDATE: Me bad....read the thread again....found a way to bring xbmc back in focus after exiting the film, but XBMC sits in the background hogging the cpu.....any ideas:

I used the following:

<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>

I downloaded the latest MPC-HC and it worked perfectly after having the problem you have so check that?

- oldpainless - 2010-01-27

nokmond Wrote:I downloaded the latest MPC-HC and it worked perfectly after having the problem you have so check that?

Thanks for the tip, but did not work for me. Even with the latest MPC-HC, in playercorefactory.xml, if I set <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>, then MPC-HC plays the video, then when I exit MPC, I get a black screen and have to alt-tag to xbmc. If I set <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>, then MPC plays the video, and when I exit MPC, it goes straight back to xbmc, but, XBMC hogs the CPU when the movie is playing.....ahhhhhh!!!

Any other suggestions

Cheers

K

UPDATE - Problem fixed got the patch here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65109

- DaGnome - 2010-01-27

I didn't see anything mentioned here nor in the WIKI, so I figured it can't hurt to ask..

Is there any way to utilize the QUEUE feature for external players?

I've been messing with the external feature to use either Windows Media Player or VLC (haven't decided which I'll keep yet), mostly because of the seeking functionality that isn't present in the default player.

However both players have thier own internal Queue list, which XBMC doesn't seem to utilize, or at least I don't see where to specify it.

I can queue up movies in XBMC, but what happens is the first movie is played, then once I shut down the Player APP itself.. it launches a 2nd instance with the 2nd movie.. etc.. I have to shut down the app to move thru my playlist..

I'd love it if there was some way to send not just one file to the external player, but your Playlist as a whole...

Is that even possible with today's build?