Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-02

olympia Wrote:Good question...
If I were you, I would stick with the xorg.conf with the custom modelines, it it works perfectly.

Olympia, could you upload your old Xorg.conf somewhere, so both could be used in case someone wants modelines or EDID ?

Thanks !

- spozen - 2009-02-02

olympia Wrote:Huh Which application?

You have to send a magic packet to your htpc from an other computer.

If you want to wake up your htpc from windows, then:
Google, first find for "magic pocket windows":

http://magicpacket.free.fr/

If i want to power up my HTPC and start up magic pocket windows, how will magic pocket know what magic packet to send?

Does the HTPC accept all magic packets?

- olympia - 2009-02-02

spozen Wrote:If i want to power up my HTPC and start up magic pocket windows, how will magic pocket know what magic packet to send?

Does the HTPC accept all magic packets?

spozen, every info is in your hand. Nobody will do googling instead of you! Angry

Magic pocket to a specific PC includes the mac address of the PC. If your htpc is turned off with wol functionality on, then the NIC stay powered and listening. If it's receives a magic pocket with it's MAC address, it turns on the PC.

- olympia - 2009-02-02

alanwww1 Wrote:Olympia, could you upload your old Xorg.conf somewhere, so both could be used in case someone wants modelines or EDID ?

Thanks !

Sure I can do, but then I think with the lot of choice, we will confuse novice users... Won't we?

- spozen - 2009-02-02

Sorry you are right i should stop posting OT questions here.

- danode - 2009-02-02

olympia: well instead of asking and talking i actually tried the new xorg.conf and can report that it worked perfect. Also the 60hz did the trick for xbmc menu's.

Many thanks!

- olympia - 2009-02-03

danode Wrote:olympia: well instead of asking and talking i actually tried the new xorg.conf and can report that it worked perfect. Also the 60hz did the trick for xbmc menu's.

Many thanks!

Are you sure it is changing to 24Hz in case of 24Hz source?

- danode - 2009-02-03

olympia Wrote:Are you sure it is changing to 24Hz in case of 24Hz source?

yepp, just tried a movie in .mkv, switched to 24hz. Its very visual, the refresh rate/resolution changes, on my pioneer kuro. also had some pal 25fps material, it switched to 50hz, and for latest ufc release that is 29.xxxFPS it stayed 60hz.

- Kazuka - 2009-02-04

I've used this how-to to setup my Intel G45 based Aopen XC Mini. Now, installation went smooth. Once in XBMC I can change the resolution to 720p 16:9 and it still works.

But can I install the latest Intel gfx drivers as well for better perfomance and audio over HDMI? Because those 2 things are the only issues here by the looks of it.

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-04

Hello Olympia !

I tried the guide with Hardy instead of Intrepid.

It works ok. Some points i had to change but the only thing i really miss is that Power off, supend buttons are not working. I mean they do NOTHING if i press them.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem ?

I installed package "pm-utils" because it was not installed by default.

I made it with the latest just released Hardy 8.04.2 LTS with alterbate install CD minimal install, without gnome.

Isn't there some scripts have to be filled to have suspend, power off working ?

- olympia - 2009-02-04

alanwww1 Wrote:Hello Olympia !

I tried the guide with Hardy instead of Intrepid.

It works ok. Some points i had to change but the only thing i really miss is that Power off, supend buttons are not working. I mean they do NOTHING if i press them.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem ?

I installed package "pm-utils" because it was not installed by default.

I made it with the latest just released Hardy 8.04.2 LTS with alterbate install CD minimal install, without gnome.

Isn't there some scripts have to be filled to have suspend, power off working ?

Hey alanwww1,

First of all, I am not sure how strictly you followed the guide, as pm-utils is included among the packages in the second step... :p

However, in case of hardy, you also need to install "hal" package with apt-get.

...and also be sure not to miss the PolicyKit.conf file from the guide, which is also cruicial.

- SwedishGojira - 2009-02-04

Great guide! I've managed to set a nice XBMC-box up thanks to this.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to boot gnome in the background so that you can switch to it for moving files and such.

I'm a newbie to Linux so don't bash me if I've missed something please...

- olympia - 2009-02-04

SwedishGojira Wrote:Great guide! I've managed to set a nice XBMC-box up thanks to this.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to boot gnome in the background so that you can switch to it for moving files and such.

I'm a newbie to Linux so don't bash me if I've missed something please...

well, as it is written in the introduction, this guide is for a deticated htpc.
If you want gnome, the best choice to install normal ubuntu instead of minimal, but in this case the guide won't work (definitely not for the autostart and autologin part).

Or you may install a samba server to manage your files from windows, but I will not cover that in the guide. If somebody would like to add this to the guide, feel free, it's welcomed.

- SwedishGojira - 2009-02-04

olympia Wrote:well, as it is written in the introduction, this guide is for a deticated htpc.
If you want gnome, the best choice to install normal ubuntu instead of minimal, but in this case the guide won't work (definitely not for the autostart and autologin part).

Or you may install a samba server to manage your files from windows, but I will not cover that in the guide. If somebody would like to add this to the guide, feel free, it's welcomed.

I already have a separate install of the normal ubuntu, but what I was looking for was an easy way to make quick changes to the XBMC settings and add or remove images from the libraries and such.

A samba server was a nice idea though... I'll look into that. If someone else wants to help me then please PM me.

- spozen - 2009-02-04

SwedishGojira Wrote:I already have a separate install of the normal ubuntu, but what I was looking for was an easy way to make quick changes to the XBMC settings and add or remove images from the libraries and such.

A samba server was a nice idea though... I'll look into that. If someone else wants to help me then please PM me.

Are you familiar with the linux terminal? If so you should look into ssh.