Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get Live TV with VDR working in XBMC for Linux - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get Live TV with VDR working in XBMC for Linux (/showthread.php?tid=45314)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

- biggles - 2009-11-27

mike557 Wrote:Is it necessary to patch VDR to get XBMC to work?
Looking at the initial description we should use

patch -p1 < ../VDR-Extensions-Patch-68/vdr-1.7.4_extensions.diff
patch -p1 < ../vdr-1.7.4-ext68-streamdev.patch

My vdr (1.6.0) is working well and streamdev using mplayer works etc so assumed patching was not necessary.

If patching is necessary is there a single patch for vdr instead of using this combined extensions-patch?

Really don't understand why you go through all the trouble of compiling your own from source when there are excellent PPAConfused with precompiled packages...

But I know, sometimes it's fun just to be able to do it! Big Grin

- hepi - 2009-11-27

mike557 Wrote:Hello Hepi
I compiled vdr 1.6.0 myself - source from ftp.cadsoft.de
Thanks
Mike

I assume you use Ubuntu. If you have good reasons to stick with the version 1.6.0 which normally has no h264 and no DVB-S2 support (instead of the developer version 1.7.10 which is being used in the wild already) and you want to compile the sources yourself, you should have a look at the source packages of VDR 1.6 either from the repository of e-tobi.de or hanno.de. The correct version of the extension patch comes along with them.

But this is a quite complicated approach.

- mulder77de - 2009-11-27

I am not familiar with VDR, so there is only a simple question and I hope to have it answered by somebody of you.

Before investigating more time into this topic, will I be able to have such a setup:

- System (headless) with DVB card and VDR on system A
- Systems B, C, D etc. which connect to VDR over LAN

Currently I am doing some promising tests with tvheadend which works great so far.
Will tvheadend be supported through this branch (or already is)?

Thanks!
mulder77de

- hepi - 2009-11-27

mulder77de Wrote:will I be able to have such a setup:

- System (headless) with DVB card and VDR on system A
- Systems B, C, D etc. which connect to VDR over LAN
Yes. Several options exist to do client-server-setups. One of them is to use XBMC as a client.
mulder77de Wrote:Will tvheadend be supported through this branch (or already is)?
The developer of the branch pvr-testing, alwinus, is only working on VDR support. It is meant to be a proof-of-concept and a testrun for the planned unified-pvr solution.

hepi

- mulder77de - 2009-11-27

hepi, thanks!

So I would follow the VDR part in this howto for my server system and will do the rest of the guide on the XBMC system, right?

- hepi - 2009-11-27

Search for my postings in this thread with links to PPA repositories. It's not necessary any more to compile anything.

- biggles - 2009-11-27

hepi Wrote:Search for my postings in this thread with links to PPA repositories. It's not necessary any more to compile anything.

And here is a small writeup...

- mike557 - 2009-11-27

hepi Wrote:I assume you use Ubuntu. If you have good reasons to stick with the version 1.6.0 which normally has no h264 and no DVB-S2 support (instead of the developer version 1.7.10 which is being used in the wild already) and you want to compile the sources yourself, you should have a look at the source packages of VDR 1.6 either from the repository of e-tobi.de or hanno.de. The correct version of the extension patch comes along with them.

But this is a quite complicated approach.

I am an 'old boy' and have been using VDR for a very long time, built everything myself so used to compiling and patching. Using FF cards, so no HD (which is not a problem at the moment).

Have no real preference to keep on doing it so happy to change over to PPA.

My only concern with PPA's is knowing where everything is i.e. directories/configs etc.

I will have a go at installing Karmic on a new drive and try PPA this weekend.

Thanks Smile

- mike557 - 2009-11-27

biggles Wrote:And here is a small writeup...

Thanks biggles - that is what I needed Smile

- pkrzaczk - 2009-12-02

Hi,

Quick question ... how to choose audio stream on an radio channel. I've got a radio with 6 audio streams. Different station on each stream. How to change streams while listening to satellite radio.

Thx,
Pawel

- il_ferra - 2009-12-03

Swifty Wrote:You need to switch back to PM3.HD, the Confluence skin doesn't support the PVR-Testing branch yet...

Mmmhhh... talking to me?

I simply did an svn co ... why it shouldn't work?
How do i switch back to PM3.HD?

TIA

- biggles - 2009-12-03

il_ferra Wrote:Mmmhhh... talking to me?

I simply did an svn co ... why it shouldn't work?
How do i switch back to PM3.HD?

TIA

Don't think so. It was probably posted to the guy which couldn't find the TV item in the menu using the new skin Confluence. Your problem hasn't got anything to do with that. Have you tried downloading from PPA instead of compiling?

- il_ferra - 2009-12-03

Thank you for your answer

Don't likee PPA stuff cause my system is quite particular. I alway compile by myself stuff not provided by official repos ... and i HAVE TO compile xbmc too Smile

- digten - 2009-12-04

In svn 25261 I noticed that there is a new option in Settings > Tv > Replay: 'Show signal quality'. I checked this option and see, while watching a channel fullscreen, that there is a new option (Pvr stream information) when you press Info, Left button. The values in here like SNR and Signal quality are however empty. Has anybody else managed to get this working?

Thanks,
Ed

- biggles - 2009-12-04

il_ferra Wrote:Thank you for your answer

Don't likee PPA stuff cause my system is quite particular. I alway compile by myself stuff not provided by official repos ... and i HAVE TO compile xbmc too Smile

Cool man. Know how you feel. It's hard to know if someone is a bit over his capacity or just having fun when they say they are compiling their own packages from source! Wink