Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) (/showthread.php?tid=45525)

- kopetnik - 2009-03-12

I'm usin rev. 18458 of xbmc-vdpau branch with Ubuntu 8.10 and Nvidia 180.37 driver. I can't see any subtitles (tried embedded ass in mkv and separate srt) with this build. I don't think it's a limitation of VDPAU itself because I got subtitles on mplayer with vdpau (2:1.0-svn28348-x264-vdpau-0ubuntu6). Also I got subtitles with xbms rev. Atlantis.

Could someone, please summarize the status of subtitles support of xbmc-vdpau branch?

Thanx, Kopetnik

PS, vdpau is so important for Linux XBMC, maybe we should post every subtopic in separate thread instead of one big 1000 post thread?
what about creating VDPAU subfolder in "XBMC for Linux - Help and Support"? it could de closed when the branch is merged into main

- motd2k - 2009-03-13

I'd rather they all go in here. At least then i've only one thread to keep up to date with.

Subtitles are a known issue, the way XBMC without VDPAU simply composites the decoded and rendered subtitles on top of the decoded video. This cant be done quite so simply with VDPAU. There's a few ways around it, and one guy is working on one of them at the moment.

- philter - 2009-03-13

hmm...when I run the demo:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/artbeats_m1080p20080210.mov

The audio goes in and out. Looking at the codec stats osd menu, the aq% never goes above 40%, and slowly winds down to zero...then the audio goes out. After a few seconds it starts to climb back up and audio comes back. vq% stays at 99%, and the total CPU% never gets above 20% (the cpu% next to aq stays at 0% or 1%).

- xnappo - 2009-03-13

philter Wrote:hmm...when I run the demo:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/artbeats_m1080p20080210.mov

The audio goes in and out. Looking at the codec stats osd menu, the aq% never goes above 40%, and slowly winds down to zero...then the audio goes out. After a few seconds it starts to climb back up and audio comes back. vq% stays at 99%, and the total CPU% never gets above 20% (the cpu% next to aq stays at 0% or 1%).

I had that over my network, but it played fine locally.

xnappo

- Brezhonneg - 2009-03-13

mythmaster Wrote:You should be able to run "make" again after that error, and it should work. If not, try "make distclean" and try to build again. If it gets stuck again, I think there's an "install-missing" script in that directory that you can run.

Thank you for taking the time to assist.

A second make resulted in the same error. Same with "make distclean" (see below). There is no "install-missing" script in that directory (neither in its parent Goom/ or in its grandparent Visualization/). There is a "missing" script that asks for arguments that let me clueless.

Any other suggestion would be very welcome. Thank you in advance!

PS: in case that helps, I am on a x86_64 arch, Ubuntu Jaunty.

Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom'
rm -f Main.o    *.o ../../../visualisations/Goom.vis   Main.P
for d in goom2k4-0; do (if test -f $d/Makefile; then (make -C $d distclean || make -C $d clean); fi ); done
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0'
cd . && automake-1.10 --foreign
configure.in:4: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.10.2,
configure.in:4: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:4: comes from Automake 1.10.1.  You should recreate
configure.in:4: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
make[2]: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0'
make[1]: *** [distclean] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom'
rm -f Main.o    *.o ../../../visualisations/Goom.vis   Main.P
for d in goom2k4-0; do (if test -f $d/Makefile; then (make -C $d clean); fi ); done
make[1]: *** [clean] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sylvain/xbmc-vdpau/XBMC/xbmc/visualizations/Goom'
make: *** [distclean] Error 2

- motd2k - 2009-03-13

You probably need the intrepid version of automake

- h.udo - 2009-03-13

r18468 compiled just fine here using Jaunty x86_64.

You must be missing some dependency.

However, a similar error happened to me a few days ago and it didn't go away until I completely pulled svn again.

And the error went away.
I know, I know!! I don't believe in witches to! But I can assure you they do exist!!

Go figure...

- Brezhonneg - 2009-03-13

Well, I just downgraded automake and that made it through. Check your automake version (dpkg -l automake), maybe you are not up to date with the Jaunty repos. Mine was 1.10.2 and 'make' complained. It went fine with 1.10.1 pulled out from the Intrepid repos.

Time for real testing now, thank you motd2k for your spot on suggestion.

- philter - 2009-03-13

xnappo Wrote:I had that over my network, but it played fine locally.

xnappo

I'm playing loally, I stopped all other disk activity before I tried.

- mythmaster - 2009-03-13

Brezhonneg Wrote:Well, I just downgraded automake and that made it through. Check your automake version (dpkg -l automake), maybe you are not up to date with the Jaunty repos. Mine was 1.10.2 and 'make' complained. It went fine with 1.10.1 pulled out from the Intrepid repos.

Time for real testing now, thank you motd2k for your spot on suggestion.
He's the man! Smile

I would have told you to run aclocal in those dirs...downgrading automake was much easier. Big Grin

- philter - 2009-03-13

I just upgraded to r18469, configured with --disable-pulse (previously was enabled). On the ArtBeats demo I still get the same behavior - the aq% starts out around 30-35% and goes down to zero % where the audio then cuts out. 10-15 seconds later it starts to rise again to about 20% as audio comes back, then goes back down to zero.

CPU % over both cores never goes above 15% total (actually less CPU with latest revision)...and I get no slowdowns in video or choppyness. Video plays smooth, getting about 10 dropped frames total for sample.

What I did notice though is the framerate shows as 21-23 fps....where I would assume the correct fps is 24.

IGP 8200 with 2GB 667 RAM in dual channel configuration. 180.35 drivers

- philter - 2009-03-13

Well r18468 has introduced a lot of judder in my 1080p movies, they played fine before...back to drawing board.

philter Wrote:Well r18468 has introduced a lot of judder in my 1080p movies, they played fine before...back to drawing board.

Have you tried 180.37?

I'm on 180.37 & r18404 -- all is well.

philter Wrote:What I did notice though is the framerate shows as 21-23 fps....where I would assume the correct fps is 24.
Actually, ~30 (29.97, I believe)

- philter - 2009-03-13

hold the fort...I just realized a roommate is streaming a movie over the network - very likely this is the cause of both problems, I can verify once they are done watching