Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) (/showthread.php?tid=45525)

- Antioch - 2009-04-08

I think the Atom will be fine. Afterall, it's merely a P4 with 64-bit instruction extensions shrunk to a very small and new technology size - while the xbox was a P3 and mine chugs the GUI away fine at 720p. The video is all offloaded to an integrated 9400 which should handle everything fine. You will have to worry about non VDPAU supported video formats, however. While my P3 Xbox handles DVD and most xvid/divx/mp4 videos of a "SD" resolution fine, she chokes on 720p xvids which do NOT get offloaded to the GPU. But again, Atom is based on a newer design and it is also HyperThreaded and DualCore (depending on your model) and can play moderate-bit-rate 720p h264 videos *without* offloading to the GPU fine.

- bobo99 - 2009-04-08

Thanks Atioch,

my old xbox is sitting collecting dust Sad, after the HD era came along it just proved inadequate... anyways, just started reading up on your progress here related to VDPAU.... great job XBMC team

Problem: Screen output have artifacts when decoded using VDPAU - Ajut - 2009-04-08

Hello

When VDPAU is used for decoding for TS stream playback (mpeg4-avc, recorded from DVB-T source via mythtv), then screen output have nasty artifacts.

No artifacts, when using "software" for decoding.

---
1. "Latest" is NOT a revision, of ANYTHING! (See below)

2. Linux Distribution and Version (eg. Ubuntu 8.04, Gentoo 2007.0-r1, etc)

-> ubuntu based distro named Mythbuntu 8.10 (http://mythbuntu.org/8.10/release)

3. Architecture (eg. i686, x86_64, etc. See below.)

-> i686

4. Install Method (PPA, RPM, build.sh, manual, other)

-> make distclean; svn up; ./configure; make

5. SVN Revision (See below.)

-> 19318

6. Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem (The more specific the better.)

-> video playback have artifacts when using VDPAU for decoding

7. FULL Debug Log (Please use your favorite paste site! See below.) << NOT OPTIONAL!

-> http://rapidshare.com/files/218616637/xbmc.log.htm

8. Backtrace (Only attainable if XBMC has crashed. See below.)

-> no

9. Compiler Output (Only useful if XBMC doesn't build. See below.)

-> no

10. kernel

-> Linux htpc 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 19:33:20 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

10. GPU

-> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9500 GT (rev a1)

10.1 TV-OUT

-> S-Video

11. CPU

-> Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

12. RAM

-> 2GB DDR3

13 Motherboard

-> Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R

14. Video codec & containter

-> codec: "MPEG-4 AVC"
-> container: MPEG2TS

15. Sample file

-> http://rapidshare.com/files/21857865...ample.mpg.html (86MB)

16. Videofile location

-> local HDD

17. playback output (captured from TV screen via camera)

-> http://rapidshare.com/files/21861306...pture.avi.html (29MB)

- User 34959 - 2009-04-09

motd2k Wrote:Bottom line, turn off xrandr. The way we switch doesn't play nice with VDPAU, we know it, and we can currently do little about it. Unfortunately 9.04 is going to ship with this a known issue.

Simply doing this fixes 9/10 problems. From this moment until we announce that we've moved the xrandr modeswitch code, I'm not going to look at any problem unless it's explicitly stated that Auto-Refresh mode is *not* enabled (the default behavior).

First person to say 'but it works in Xine' wins a cookie.

Hope this doesn't sound harsh, but going over the same thing 100 times gets quite dull!

Oh cock. Should have read this thread more carefully before ordering a new card just for vdpau. Sad
So, only way to use auto refresh rate is to use xrandr? XBMC doesn't use modelines from xorg.conf? (This is me trying to pretend like i know anything about linux :p)

- phunqe - 2009-04-09

phunqe Wrote:I noticed that auto refresh rate does indeed work with strict bindings enabled (as mentioned here). However, there was a catch with the strict bindings right? Was it performance? What does it do?

Anyone?

- motd2k - 2009-04-09

If you're running certain driver versions - currently 180.x, then you'll consume 100% CPU time whilst playing VDPAU video.

- User 34959 - 2009-04-09

phunqe Wrote:I noticed that auto refresh rate does indeed work with strict bindings enabled (as mentioned here). However, there was a catch with the strict bindings right? Was it performance? What does it do?

How well does it work for you? I tried adding it to advancedsettings.xml, some videos exit normally but in other hand some videos lock XBMC completely and X has to be restarted. I have driver version 185.13.

- phunqe - 2009-04-09

Seems to work fine for me. Using 185.13 as well, 8600GT card.

- kross - 2009-04-10

motd2k Wrote:If you're running certain driver versions - currently 180.x, then you'll consume 100% CPU time whilst playing VDPAU video.

Is that true even if you set UseEvents (or whatever it's called) to true in xorg.conf?

- tmpdir - 2009-04-10

alanwww1 Wrote:I tried the new drivers.

I can not see any visual improvements in playback smoothness.

I have a complete smooth playback with SW decoding, but with vdpau i see frequent micro stutering.

read a thread about a similar problem a while ago. There seems to be a (bios?) setting to set the ammount of reserved memory for your Geforce 9400 board. Combined with their latest driver improving this mechanisme could fix your problem.

Don't have the board myself, just a pointer

- alanwww1 - 2009-04-10

tmpdir Wrote:read a thread about a similar problem a while ago. There seems to be a (bios?) setting to set the ammount of reserved memory for your Geforce 9400 board. Combined with their latest driver improving this mechanisme could fix your problem.

Don't have the board myself, just a pointer

I already have the shared memory up to 512Mb. I've been a Media Center fan for years now and came from windows world, i have a very "sharp" eye for any kind of judder or framesrop whilest playback. I can say for sure that i see micro stutter with vdpau whatever i do. It is not bad at all (most people would never notice at all) but it is there. Anyone could check it better with this sample:

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/218809178/Star_Wars_Episode_III_HD_1080psplit-003.mkv

It is the beggining part of Starwars ep 3, where the letters are scrolling. It is a great part to check stutter, because it is long enough to see any dropped frame. Sometimes i have to run it 2 times to see, but it is certainly there. Dropped frames with vdpau and no dropped frames without it.

Edit: Please note that it is a PAL 25fps video. You have to have your refresh rate 50 ot 75Hz to play it smooth !

Maybe it is just my hardware. Can you guys check if this sample plays perfectly stutterless with your hardware ?

- kalross - 2009-04-10

Hi Folks.

Just to let you know, I was running XBMC SVN on a crappy ASROCK AGI EXPRESS board (PCI-E x4), p4 HT 3.2GHz with a Geforce 8600 GTS 256MB and 2GB DDR RAM. The performance when playing VDPAU was fine despite the low spec. OpenGL was a little jerky, but little to worry about.

I just changed changed the MB, RAM and CPU to ASUS P5K-PRO, Q6600 (OC 3.25GHz) and 4GB DDR2 with same 8600GTS (now at PCIE x16). There is no noticeable improvement in VDPAU playback, though OpenGL is smoother. This is clearly a waste of money on my part...or is it? How great that XBMC VDPAU works well on such a low spec. Naturally, the old hardware will be built into new HTPC with 8400GS 512MB for the bedroom now. Just a shame compile doesn't work with -j option on the quad core :-(

XBMC VDPAU seems to work on any old crap. Well done and thank you again.

Kal

- nunu - 2009-04-10

with H264 moives i have no troubles.
Bu very few bluray work properly.

What are your experience with bluray original movie ?

OK : Hulk /

KO (not smooth, buffering or crash dump) : the mumie 3 / Hancok / phenomene / Indiana Jones 4 / Sunshine

If i reencode movies in 1080p with ripbot264 => it works fine.

I have an amd64 3200+ 512Mo 9500GT512Mo Unbuntu 8.04 32 bits 185.19

regards

- Jezz_X - 2009-04-11

Just thought I'd pop in here and say the 185.19 drivers have fixed my issues with corruption of lowrez quick time trailers (only issue I had) and it also has a nice new feature that might be good for some to try out
Quote:"On systems using integrated graphics, VDPAU now uses system RAM instead of video RAM for many purposes. This should prevent "out of resources" problems in most cases, even when the video RAM carve-out is configured as low as 128M. "

- nipnup - 2009-04-11

Yeah, 185.19 finally made VDPAU work better in XBMC.

I just have one small issue: I get occasional tearing on my GF8200 IGP (in 720p, have not tried 1080p), is there a definitive setup guide as to how to configure the cards? I.e. maybe what Xorg settings?

Should I enable Composite? What about OpenGL V_SYNC?