Kodi Community Forum
~ 500 dollar budget - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: ~ 500 dollar budget (/showthread.php?tid=46005)

Pages: 1 2 3

~ 500 dollar budget - feerlessleadr - 2009-02-25

Hey guys, long time lurker, only post sparingly.

I have decided to use about $500 of my tax refund to finally build an htpc for my living room and drop my old xbox to the basement.

After reading for a while I have come up with a list of parts for my HTPC and I just wanted to run them by you guys to make sure I didn't miss anything.

CPU - Intel E8400

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H

RAM - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

CASE - Antec Black Aluminum / Steel Fusion Remote Black Micro ATX Media Center

My main concern is noise, I don't want to have the rig making a ton of noise. Depending on how loud the fans are I might get some aftermarket fans for the case and/or for the CPU.

My other concern is with my Harmony One remote. How well will my remote interact with this case? Anyone have any experience?

My last concern is about audio over HDMI. I searched through the forums and found some references to audio over HDMI in windows, but not a definitive yes or no that it would work. Will audio over HDMI work with my board?

Thanks for the help. Also any other recommendations such as OS (xp, nlite XP, vista, vlite vista, etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks

- xanadu1979 - 2009-02-25

Not sure I would use a somewhere around a third of the cost just on the case. I know having a true htpc case is important to some people though. I would personally just buy a cheap case and an MCE receiver separately. I would rather have an MCE remote than one of those iMON things. And do you need a volume control? If you use a receiver I'm guessing you don't. Do you plan on using the LCD screen? I'm not sure XBMC even interfaces with that.

I would go with something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144231

That's the only beef I have with it. I use HDMI audio in Windows and it works fine. As for the OS. I can't think of why you would use Vista over XP. I use Vista because it came with my computer. But I'd probably use XP if I had the choice. Just make sure if you buy a MCE receiver, that it works with whatever OS you decide to use.

- feerlessleadr - 2009-02-25

I was thinking the same thing about the case. Really the only reason I chose it was because I had seen quite a few people say they had it and like it.

I won't be using either the LCD or the volume knob.

I looked at that case, but shyed away from it because people were saying that the PS would arrive DOA.

Any other suggestions for cases, preferably with a PSU included?

- stoli - 2009-02-25

I have the same case and have to agree that it is a bit overkill; I have no use for the LCD or the volume. I'll grant it looks cool in the rack; but if I did it all over again I'd get a different model. Having said that, the factory ps and fans cool fine for me on their lowest speed settings and the noise level is quite low...

My 2 cents.

-stoli-

Case Options - JohnWPB - 2009-02-25

There are lots of pretty nice cases out there, and for far less than the one above:

One for $50

$55.00

$65.00

$70.00 (Nice black case with a 500w PSU and also comes in different colors: Red, Green, Blue

Lastly, for $98, but with NO PS. Has nice look, and memory card readers on the front.

I have not looked at any of the specs, such as MB size, height for cards ect....

just wanted to update based on the responses here.

I decided to scrap the Antec case and go for the Apevia Case

I also am going to pick up this MCE Receiver, which (according to the description) works with both XP and Vista.

I also decided that I am going to get a PCI SATAII card to put in my Dad's old computer to turn into a NAS of sorts.

Thanks for the help.

- Bobsf40 - 2009-02-25

I just put together a HTPC, and I used the following components:

Board: Intel DG45FC

CPU: Intel E5200

RAM: 2GB Kingston value ram.

I just installed Vista 32bit, and ran the newest version of XBMC and tested with a 1080p mkv. It ran perfectly, with no dropped frames. If you are building a HTPC, the CPU selected seems like a whole lot of over kill. Since most modern graphics chips will do the HD decoding in hardware, there really is minimal strain on the CPU.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with case selection, as I just built my own Big Grin

- xanadu1979 - 2009-02-25

Bobsf40 Wrote:Since most modern graphics chips will do the HD decoding in hardware, there really is minimal strain on the CPU.

XBMC for Windows doesn't do HD decoding in hardware.

There's some work being done to get it working in Linux. But I doubt we'll see it on Windows in the near future.

Yea, after reading through alot of the threads, I really wanted a CPU that I know can handle everything that I throw at and beyond.

My main concern right now is the case, so hopefully it doesn't come with a DOA PSU.

Any other suggestions for a case are always welcome.

Thanks!!

- fekker - 2009-02-26

CPU - Intel E8400

I would go with 4gb of ram in the system, get a nice seasonic power supply, and i a slightly different case.. I would stay far and away from cheapo power supplys, in the end, when they blow up and take out your system, it's not worth the few dollars in savings. Seasonic is the company that makes a ton of high end power supply's (like Corsair's and FSP)

SeaSonic SS-350ES 350W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817151038$46.99

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145184- $54.99
(also has a $30.00 Mail-in Rebate )

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128363- $119.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115037- $164.99

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum panel & Steel HTPC 1000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811204030- $99.99

Subtotal: $486.90

- kizer - 2009-02-26

Man this thread rocks. I was wanting to build a HTPC and well it looks like I don't have to spend bank to build one.

Of course in Fekkers all you have to do is throw in a pair of drives. One being the DVD and the other the Hard.

- cascius - 2009-02-26

Hi guys, I actually have a slightly different opinion than you guys on the case:

I would actually recommend going with Antec, but maybe the cheaper version (the one without the LCD and volume knob). I have the gray fusion case and think it's terrific for the following reasons:
- 2 large 120mm fans are extremely quiet. The case you picked has smaller fans, which have to run faster to get the same airflow and therefore create more noise.
- because you have 2 big fans, you can swap the CPU fan with a Ninja Mini heat sink (fan less). This makes a very very quiet HTPC. I have one of those in my bedroom and can sleep witout hearing it. BTW, my CPU runs at only 35 degrees while decoding 1080p mkvs.
- the air flow in this case is optimized to cool the hard drives nicely, so they will last longer.
- the hard drives are mounted on silicon, which once again makes them very silent.

Bottom line: I'm extremely happy with that case. I do agree that it's expensive, but when you take into account the cost of a case + remote control + very good cooling + quietness, i think it's worth the extra bit of money.

Final thought: look into this case: Antec NSK2400 (~$100)
It has the same important things i mentioned but doesn't have useless things like the LCD or the Volume Knob. If i was to build a second HTPC, i would use this case in a heartbeat.

Hope this is useful,

- Cas

- mr.b - 2009-02-26

i just ordered this:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11166526

with the exception that I ended up buying a different 80mm fan. My total with shipping was ~ $260. I'm going to run from a usb flash drive that I already have so I didn't need a HD.

I know this post resides under the windows forum, but since this board has the nvidia 8200 chipset, it'll handle anything I through at it with VDPAU under linux.

- phiqtion - 2009-02-26

you should have a look at my build (pics included) and i didn't exceed $530

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44464

- feerlessleadr - 2009-02-26

fekker Wrote:CPU - Intel E8400

I would go with 4gb of ram in the system, get a nice seasonic power supply, and i a slightly different case.. I would stay far and away from cheapo power supplys, in the end, when they blow up and take out your system, it's not worth the few dollars in savings. Seasonic is the company that makes a ton of high end power supply's (like Corsair's and FSP)

SeaSonic SS-350ES 350W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817151038$46.99

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145184- $54.99
(also has a $30.00 Mail-in Rebate )

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128363- $119.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115037- $164.99

nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum panel & Steel HTPC 1000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811204030- $99.99

Subtotal: $486.90

Is there any reason to go with 4gigs of RAM over 2 gigs? I thought I read that anything over 2gigs is more overkill (although yes i do know that my CPU is a bit overkill).

Will XBMC really benefit from 4gigs over 2 running on a stipped down version of XP?

cascius Wrote:Hi guys, I actually have a slightly different opinion than you guys on the case:

I would actually recommend going with Antec, but maybe the cheaper version (the one without the LCD and volume knob). I have the gray fusion case and think it's terrific for the following reasons:
- 2 large 120mm fans are extremely quiet. The case you picked has smaller fans, which have to run faster to get the same airflow and therefore create more noise.
- because you have 2 big fans, you can swap the CPU fan with a Ninja Mini heat sink (fan less). This makes a very very quiet HTPC. I have one of those in my bedroom and can sleep witout hearing it. BTW, my CPU runs at only 35 degrees while decoding 1080p mkvs.
- the air flow in this case is optimized to cool the hard drives nicely, so they will last longer.
- the hard drives are mounted on silicon, which once again makes them very silent.

Bottom line: I'm extremely happy with that case. I do agree that it's expensive, but when you take into account the cost of a case + remote control + very good cooling + quietness, i think it's worth the extra bit of money.

Final thought: look into this case: Antec NSK2400 (~$100)

It has the same important things i mentioned but doesn't have useless things like the LCD or the Volume Knob. If i was to build a second HTPC, i would use this case in a heartbeat.

Hope this is useful,

- Cas

I really like that antec case, I just wish it came in Black instead of Silver...BTW, newegg has the NSK2480 (not the 2400, which I guess isn't really being manufactured anymore) for 80 bucks.