Kodi Community Forum
Smoothvideo branch - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Smoothvideo branch (/showthread.php?tid=46091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

- eriksmith200 - 2009-02-27

ashlar Wrote:3) Smooth out the inconsistencies of 3:2 cadence when playing back 24fps material at 60Hz.

So if that's true I can still benefit from the smoothvideo implementation?

- ashlar - 2009-02-27

eriksmith200 Wrote:So if that's true I can still benefit from the smoothvideo implementation?
Ok, bear in mind that all I write is taking the Reclock DirectShow audio renderer as an example, supposing that Smoothvideo is following the same course, with a different implementation.

At 60Hz, 23.976fps material will get accelerated so very slightly to 24fps, thus enabling a perfect 3:2 cadence (every even frame is shown thrice, every odd frame is shown twice) and keeping it consistent. So you'll have perfect 3:2 judder but no other anomaly in your playback.

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-27

ashlar Wrote:Ok, bear in mind that all I write is taking the Reclock DirectShow audio renderer as an example, supposing that Smoothvideo is following the same course, with a different implementation.

At 60Hz, 23.976fps material will get accelerated so very slightly to 24fps, thus enabling a perfect 3:2 cadence (every even frame is shown thrice, every odd frame is shown twice) and keeping it consistent. So you'll have perfect 3:2 judder but no other anomaly in your playback.

Ashlar you think xbmc really does 3:2 pulldown ?

- ashlar - 2009-02-27

alanwww1 Wrote:Ashlar you think xbmc really does 3:2 pulldown ?
Unfortunately I've asked for this and never got a straight answer. I can't imagine how 24fps stuff is shown at 60Hz otherwise (but maybe the answer is "in a messy way").

Edit: actually, as for the 23.976 getting accelerated to 24, etc. it's relevant for 24Hz. I'm not so sure about 60Hz. I suppose for 60 it would be, but for 59.94 it wouldn't (as that is NTSC frequency, the very reason why the movie got slowed down by 1/1000).

- bobo1on1 - 2009-02-27

All refreshrates and framerates are always rounded to the nearest integer.

Xbmc does do a pulldown to convert ntsc dvd's to 23.976 fps, if the refreshrate is 60 hertz, smoothvideo will do a 2 to 5 conversion.
If the refreshrate is 50 hertz, you can speed it up 4.17% to play it at pal speed, providing you don't use passthrough and pcm synctype is set to resample.
If the refreshrate 24 hertz, it will play nicely at 24 fps.

- RockDawg - 2009-02-27

Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but how does XBMC for the Xbox do things? Am I correct that XBMC on a PC (with or without Smoothvideo) should be able to play movies as smooth as the Xbox? My Xbox connected to my TV plays fine by my eyes. So something (Xbox or TV) is doing 3:2 pulldown on my 24fps DVD's, right? It seems judder-free.

- ashlar - 2009-02-27

While I'm not sure that bobo1on1 cares for this "generic" discussion to happen in this thread (and if you don't, just say it and we'll think of where to legitimately take it Smile), Xbox outputs at 60Hz only (50Hz in SD maybe, for PAL regions). So your content is bound to have judder, unless it's 60Hz interlaced content (which I strongly doubt). 3:2 judder is not *that* bad, especially if you've never experienced really smooth pans.

- Hitcher - 2009-02-27

Quote:Changeset [18143] by bobo1on1
fixed: use g_videoConfig.GetCurrentResolution to get refreshrate
Interesting, does this fix the 'Auto adjust refresh' problem?

- bobo1on1 - 2009-02-28

Well, it might, it doesn't get called in the right place yet I think.

- alanwww1 - 2009-02-28

Hello Bobo1on1 !

I just testes today's svn and for me the new refresh rate detection method works worse that the old one.

Now it detects the refresh rate wrong even if i don't use the auto refresh rate function (at least with 50hz i get doube speed video playbeck with 25fps and 24fps)

The only way i can make it work is to force refresh rate 50hz.

- bobo1on1 - 2009-02-28

I know, when dynamic twinview is on when using the binary nvidia driver, xrandr reports wrong refreshrates.
Already fixed it by using the measured framerate.

Compile problems under Linux - dteirney - 2009-03-01

Anyone having problems compiling this on Linux?

Quote:make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/drive1/XBMC/branches/xbmc-smoothvideo/xbmc/visualizations/Goom'
g++ -MD -c -g -O3 -fPIC -O2 -g -D_DEBUG -Wall -O2 -g -D_DEBUG -Wall -D_LINUX -D_FILE_DEFINED -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DINSTALL_PATH="\"/usr/local/share/xbmc\"" -DHAS_SDL_JOYSTICK -DHAS_XRANDR -DHAS_PCRE -D'SVN_REV="18174M"' -DDLL_PATH_LIBCURL="\"/usr/lib/libcurl.so\"" -I. -I.. -I../../linux -I../../ -I../../../guilib -I../../../visualisations -Igoom2k4-0/src -DDBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/hal -I/usr/include/lzo Main.cpp -o Main.o
make -C goom2k4-0
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/drive1/XBMC/branches/xbmc-smoothvideo/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0'
Making all in src
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/drive1/XBMC/branches/xbmc-smoothvideo/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0/src'
/bin/bash ../ylwrap goomsl_yacc.y y.tab.c goomsl_yacc.c y.tab.h goomsl_yacc.h y.output goomsl_yacc.output -- yacc -d
../ylwrap: line 111: yacc: command not found
make[3]: *** [goomsl_yacc.c] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/drive1/XBMC/branches/xbmc-smoothvideo/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/drive1/XBMC/branches/xbmc-smoothvideo/xbmc/visualizations/Goom/goom2k4-0'
make[1]: *** [goom2k4-0/src/.libs/libgoom2.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/drive1/XBMC/branches/xbmc-smoothvideo/xbmc/visualizations/Goom'
make: *** [visualizations] Error 2

I went down the road of installing an implementation of yacc but then I got a compile error in the same location.

I haven't ever needed to install anything related to yacc in linuxport, and that's currently building fine so I removed it again.

Why the difference between smooth-video and linuxport for this Goom visualisation? Doesn't seem to be anything related to the smooth video related changes.

- bobo1on1 - 2009-03-01

That has nothing to do with smoothvideo, run make clean and the configure script again, and then make, if that one fails run make again, that usually clears things up.

What distribution and architecture are you compiling on? Also, did you somehow modify the timestamps of the source files (cp -R for example) and is your system date correct?

- alanwww1 - 2009-03-01

I checked the latest svn and i can report that refresh rate detection works very well now with the files i tested.

I made a few tests with stereo pcm content and it was working pretty well. The video part has played silky smooth with zero visible dropped frames.

The audo if i don' touch pause, rew, ff plays well with a hearable speed adjustment at the beggining of the movie.

If i pause or ff or rev the movie it makes strange pitch changes and it gets back to normal a little too slow.

Sometimes i heared ocasional pitch changing also when i press nothing. Just a notice.

Thanks for the great work anyway.

Alan

- dteirney - 2009-03-02

bobo1on1 Wrote:That has nothing to do with smoothvideo, run make clean and the configure script again, and then make, if that one fails run make again, that usually clears things up.

What distribution and architecture are you compiling on? Also, did you somehow modify the timestamps of the source files (cp -R for example) and is your system date correct?

I'm using Mythbuntu Intrepid x86. Clean svn checkout followed by applying some patches I need for playback of LATM/ACC wrapped audio streams. Nothing related to Goom.

Tried all manor of cleans, configure and make including reallyclean. Still no go. Did a directory diff of xbmc/visualizations/Goom and noticed some missing files compared to current revision of linuxport so I just copied over the whole linuxport Goom folder over the top.

Compile worked fine after that so not sure what happened. Either way, got it up and running with a patch for a different Vsync mode for the newer ATI Catalyst drivers.

Least number of dropped frames and smoothest playback I've seen for the Killa sample so it looks like it's heading in the right direction.

Great work and thanks for your help! Mmmm buttery smooth panning coming to an XBMC HTPC near you. Can't wait.