Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Live 8.10.2 Beta1 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC Live 8.10.2 Beta1 (/showthread.php?tid=46144)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

XBMC Live 8.10.2 Beta1 - lcapriotti - 2009-02-27

Time has come for a new XBMC Live release: XBMC Live 8.10.2b1

Before going on, check the Wiki FAQ on XBMC Live.

This BETA release has to be considered as a total fresh start, since not only it is based on Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10.2), but also because I used a fresh, updated installation of the build tool.
It also marks the start to a new approach: I have created some pages in the XBMC Wiki where both the build process and the configuration process are briefly described, and I am looking forward to users' contributions in these pages so that both the quality and the completeness of the documents could increase. Not to mention omissisions and mistakes that this new beta release will carry in.

I need to stress the fact that this release was not tested in all details, and issues may arise here and there. However, identifying issues is the main cause I'm releasing it in the public: with help of all of you we may end up with something that barely works (sarcasm here...).

I need to anticipate that NVIDIA and ATI/AMD users may have to struggle to have a working setup, as in the previous releases, but that's a limitation of the restricted drivers not being tolerant interms of configuration files. Les't s hope that the newer releases will allow an higher number of success stories.

Details about the release:

* NVIDIA drivers: 180.29
* ATI/AMD drivers: Catalyst 9.1
* Intel drivers: default xorg
* Natively supports MCEUSB remotes
* New installer script that allows building of XBMCLive USB bootable disks from any Ubuntu-based system without the need of burning a CD and booting from it.

Finally, the SVN repositories sources are already configured, so updating XBMC to follow the bleeding edge will hopefully be easy - check your disk space!

NEW: when building XBMC Live with the installer from an existing Ubuntu PC be sure to disable the usb automount that may interfere with the installers actions:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount --type=bool false

and later you can enable it again with:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount --type=bool true

Wiki references:

Building the ISO image -
Configuring XBMC Live -
Building restricted drivers for XBMC Live

A quick TOC of what has been already asked:

Login to underlining OS: here
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?: here
Is Microsoft's MCE Remote the only remote that works in XBMC Live?: here
Live (HDD install) - Resume from Standby: here
AutoBoot settings for XBMC Live USB?: here - note that this release uses GRUB so info here are not 100% accurate
Backup XBMC Live USB in windows: here
FTP access to Live: here
XBMC live volume output too low: here

- Sn00zE - 2009-02-27

Kewl.. Will have a look at home! Is there any hope to get GPU video acceleration in this version with nvidia cards? Also is the low audio problem from the 8.10 version fixed in this one? Or must we test and see?

- bitflusher - 2009-02-28

before i try this out, did the support for intel cards disappear? od did the driver sersion just did not change and thus was not worth mentioning?

- topfs2 - 2009-02-28

bitflusher Wrote:before i try this out, did the support for intel cards disappear? od did the driver sersion just did not change and thus was not worth mentioning?

Intel cards are still supported, works on G45 even. (no HDMI audio though)

The drivers are just std Xorg drivers, so latest there is in intrepid.

- JBNY - 2009-02-28

If I install this to a HDD do I still need to sacrifice the whole drive? or can I put it in an existing partition or at least create a partition size of my own choosing?

- Sn00zE - 2009-02-28

I just tried to install the new XBMC Live, but the installer cant access any of the restricted drivers.. Gives and error on install then continues.. After it completes the install, when it should load the gui, i just reboots.. Sad Could my iso be corrupt?

- lcapriotti - 2009-02-28

JBNY Wrote:If I install this to a HDD do I still need to sacrifice the whole drive? or can I put it in an existing partition or at least create a partition size of my own choosing?

no changes here, the installer wipes out the entire hard disk you select.
You'd better run it from an USB disk, IMHO.

- lcapriotti - 2009-02-28

Sn00zE Wrote:Could my iso be corrupt?

most likely

- kimp93 - 2009-03-01

I tested the image on a system with nvidia card. works great.
It may not be directly related to the topic.
Is it possible to update xbmc in the image for live cd booting?
I know it is relatively easy to update xbmc on usb installation. How about cd booting?
Using the image 8.10.2 beta1, I extract and mount rootfs.img and copy the contents to a folder. I replace the /usr/share/xbmc to compiled xbmc on interpid. using mksquashfs, remake rootfs and put it into iso. nothing else was touched. I thought that it will at least boot and fail to start xbmc in worst case. surprisingly, it simply refuse to boot.
please let me know what I did wrong or do I have to make a whole image from the scratch?

- FreddyKrueger - 2009-03-01

i tested this new beta version yesterday all day long and i had a few issues, but i don't really know if it was anything wrong that i was doing. I use xbmc since it's first versions in a xbox, but i tried this one in a new htpc i'm doing.
My board is an Intel DG54FC, and i'm using an MCE Remote. With the remote, i found only one problem: the mapping of the "Play" key. When you press the "Play" key, calls a menu that in xbox remote is the "Title Key". Graphics are working good, but i have no sound at all. I've tried both analog and digital settings in xbmc(didn't try SPDIF), alsamixer and unmute all channels, upgrade alsa driver to 1.0.19(and i checked that after reboot it was 1.0.19), in xbmc settings i tried "hdmi", "IEC958", "default"... but nothing seems to give me the beloved sound, at least not in HDMI nor the normal sound jacks.
Can anyone give me an hint on how to do this ??

Thanks

- topfs2 - 2009-03-01

FreddyKrueger Wrote:i tested this new beta version, yesterday all day long adn i had a few issues, but i don't really know if it was anything wrong that i was doing. I use xbmc since it's first versions in a xbox, but i tried this one in a new htpc i'm doing.
My board is an Intel DG54FC, and i'm using an MCE Remote. With the remote, i found only one problem: the mapping of the "Play" key. When you press the "Play" key, calls a menu that in xbox remote is the "Title Key". Graphics are working good, but i have no sound at all. I've tried both analog and digital settings in xbmc(didn't try SPDIF), alsamixer and unmute all channels, upgrade alsa driver to 1.0.19(and i checked that after reboot it was 1.0.19), in xbmc settings i tried "hdmi", "IEC958", "default"... but nothing seems to give me the beloved sound, at least not in HDMI nor the normal sound jacks.
Can anyone give me an hint on how to do this ??

Thanks

You need newer X drivers for HDMI Audio aswell as alsa drivers.
Although analog should work out of the box with this release afaik.

- lcapriotti - 2009-03-01

kimp93 Wrote:Using the image 8.10.2 beta1, I extract and mount rootfs.img and copy the contents to a folder. I replace the /usr/share/xbmc to compiled xbmc on interpid. using mksquashfs, remake rootfs and put it into iso. nothing else was touched.
the process seems to be correct, it must be something with the commands ou are using.
Since you are able to go that far, wouldn't be more appropriate to try to build XBMC Live yourself using the Wiki instructions? Wink

- FreddyKrueger - 2009-03-01

Topfs2 Wrote:You need newer X drivers for HDMI Audio aswell as alsa drivers.
Although analog should work out of the box with this release afaik.

Thanks for your answer. Can you please tell me where can i get those X drivers and explain how to install it ??
For the analog... i don't really know why, but i can´t get it to work.
About the remote, can you confirm the wrong keymapping of the "Play" key, or am i just a plain dumbass.. Confused

Thanks again

- topfs2 - 2009-03-01

FreddyKrueger Wrote:Thanks for your answer. Can you please tell me where can i get those X drivers and explain how to install it ??
For the analog... i don't really know why, but i can´t get it to work.
About the remote, can you confirm the wrong keymapping of the "Play" key, or am i just a plain dumbass.. Confused

Thanks again

TBH I haven´t gotten HDMI Audio working. I have it registering my TV but ALSA throws the audio to the optical output (seems to be a bug in alsa). So I cant help you.

About X, it was just an additional repo found on launchpad, xorg-edgers. I have not tried it on XBMC Live so I can´t help you with that.

I haven´t tried HDMI Audio between 1.0.18a adn 1.0.19 on a git download but then it did not work. Now I have succumbed to windows were the motherboard works flaweless. Might revisit linux at a later stage, but I got internet issues with later kernels on my motherboard.

Cheers,
Tobias.

- 3guk - 2009-03-01

Anyone found that with intrepid the core utilization seems a bit out of whack, on the older version of XBMCLive my rig dropped 5 frames on the killasampler but now it drops around 79 just by updating to this version.

I've noticed that other people seem to be reporting this too, with one core being utilized at full and the other much lower, in my case core 1 seems to be up at around 90% and core0 seems to be around 20%, on the previous XMBCLive I used to get around 80% on both and a hell of a lot less dropped frames.

Anyone else got this ?