Kodi Community Forum
A New Skin Concept - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: A New Skin Concept (/showthread.php?tid=46946)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

- Beatzeps08 - 2010-05-02

circle_ Wrote:I'm still keen to get my hands on one of those working versions that only had a couple of views but no one has re-uploaded/linked since the forums went down :/

http://www.mediafire.com/?freymzwqyx5
its an old version of what i did, don't know how it looks because i couldn't test it right now...

- rausch101 - 2010-05-03

It looks like mcborzu read my mind and incorporated a beautiful version of the wall/list view into his new Night Skin:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=530509&postcount=316

- aurrun - 2010-05-27

I am just wondering would it be easiest to just simply mod the Night skin since it is pretty similar? Could this be our chance at bringing this to fruition?

- mcborzu - 2010-05-27

aurrun Wrote:I am just wondering would it be easiest to just simply mod the Night skin since it is pretty similar? Could this be our chance at bringing this to fruition?

Your call, I took a good amount of the "cool" stuff from these mockups minus the TV epg, some of the ideas didn't translate 100% into XBMC but I came about as close as you can come...

- phyek - 2010-05-28

Hey guys,

I've been away for quite a while, but throughout the last year I've worked on and off with a successor to this concept. It's quite different, more refined, and in my opinion superior in every way. Due to time constraints, I'm not sure when I'll have the necessary time to develop the skin to my liking, but I haven't forgotten.

Phyek

- `Black - 2010-05-28

That sounds great, I hope you'll have the time to develop it. Smile

- circle_ - 2010-05-28

phyek Wrote:Hey guys,

I've been away for quite a while, but throughout the last year I've worked on and off with a successor to this concept. It's quite different, more refined, and in my opinion superior in every way. Due to time constraints, I'm not sure when I'll have the necessary time to develop the skin to my liking, but I haven't forgotten.

Phyek

Wow this is such an excellent surprise. There's been a few concepts and skins built lately with many similarities to this one but none hit the mark in my opinion.
Do you have any screens or ANYthing more to tease us with?

- Japaja - 2010-05-28

Those are great news. Will there be any sneak peaks/previews/teasers?

Also I don't understand why that wall isn't possible. XBMC limitation? I mean just look at Cooliris. That's one powerfull 3D wall. Big Grin

- MindTooth - 2010-06-01

Hope to see it soon Smile

- paul - 2010-06-01

phyek Wrote:Hey guys,

Phyek
I hope things pan out better for you if you do go ahead and release anything,
good luck whatever you decide to do, your designing skills are too good to go to wasteNod

- djalicee - 2010-06-01

nice work

- simphax - 2010-06-03

WOW I love this concept!!
I would be soo happy if this would come to a reality Big Grin
I really would like to help you out also but i dont have any xbmc skinning experience.

- exabyte55242 - 2010-06-10

I absolutely love this mockup! Especially the TV guide, are you going to include it into your skin which you said you have in the works? CanĀ“t wait for more screenshots, Good Luck!

- MarkTaunton - 2010-06-10

Ok maybe I am a nasty English man but if you want more honest comments then here goes.

Now if I had not seen all of this before then I would think WoW, as it does look pretty good, and full credit to you.

Sad to say that once you have seen one slanted wall view, you have seen them all, mock ups can look so fantastic and you want to try them straight away, but having the same old skin, e.g confluence or back row rehashed will just become a bore.

Team Blackbolt took a year to design and program Xperience and it looks fresh, colorful and stylish, Shade and Welo are looking more polished and ready for example a TV station to broadcast.

The main thing is that you need to design for yourself, about what you want and what you feel is good. Hang the critics, ok maybe give me a lethal injection, a bit less painless, but some people will prefer one skin, others will prefer another skin, I am currently torn between the sexyness of Xperience, and the simpleness of Shade, but massively looking forward to the release of Welo.

All what I want is a reasonably proffesional design, but maybe colourful at the same time, user friendly, your TV show view is excellent as that is what most people are used too.

It is simple, it does the job, and it is colourful.

You have done an excellent job in your mock ups, but sadly not raised the bar apart from the TV view for the new 10.5.

Skins are still reasonably mocked up for the old xbox, and low spec machines, and also follow obviously the design guidelines for currently what XBMC can do.

I mean why think inside of the box when you can think outside of the box, having round rather than square, having triangles rather than round.

With a vast amount of digital content available nowadays, scrolling through a vast amount of data will soon be impossible.

I have 3 terrabytes, and that is not including operating systems hard drives, or the other hard drive that I have in my other computer,or the hard drive on the 360 or that of the iPhone.

I honestly have not stopped wanting to buy hard drives at the moment, the future is here today, and the past has gone.

Our houses will be filled with terrabytes of information, and more.

Apart from this carry on with the good work that you are doing.

- rcoops - 2010-06-10

MarkTaunton Wrote:I mean why think inside of the box when you can think outside of the box, having round rather than square, having triangles rather than round.

With a vast amount of digital content available nowadays, scrolling through a vast amount of data will soon be impossible.

I have 3 terrabytes, and that is not including operating systems hard drives, or the other hard drive that I have in my other computer,or the hard drive on the 360 or that of the iPhone.

I honestly have not stopped wanting to buy hard drives at the moment, the future is here today, and the past has gone.

Our houses will be filled with terrabytes of information, and more.

Though I fully agree with the idea of thinking outside the box there is a minor problem with your idea that scrolling trough a large list of data is not the way to go. There is little other one can do isn't there? Unless you suggest using speech to lookup the information you will end up moving from A to B to Z by scrolling down and up or left and right if you want to look at a large number of items.
The idea of a desktop where you drop all the data on won't work as you will have an enormous pile of data on a always to small desktop. Scrolling is the only way to deal with this.

Though I agree that the current views are well not the greatest they are just rows of images that move from left to right without much else added, we should not forget that this is still in a development stage and things might change a lot before a release to the public is even though of.

The video looks interesting but so far I don't get the same kind of: "When will it finally be released" feeling as I do with some of the other skins currently in development.