Kodi Community Forum
Come join me in my sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: Come join me in my sketchbook (/showthread.php?tid=48262)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Come join me in my sketchbook - djh_ - 2009-04-04

As you've no doubt figured out, most of Aeon is conceived in a bathtub, using a precise combination of orange juice and coffee. You should now be enjoying updates the moment they're created, so I figured you may as well enjoy concepts in the same fashion. I will probably regret this.

The new TV section poses an interesting challenge. It has to meet these requirements:

a) Must be consistent enough with existing Aeon textures and layouts
b) Must strike a new balance of text and visuals to suit the metadata TV shows require
c) Must integrate List and Showcase styles across all tiers
d) Must not overwhelm the design or the user with too much information at once (like most UIs)
e) Must transition smoothly between tiers
f) Must be cool. This is paramount.

Here, then, is the solution in its most primitive form, fresh from the bathtub. These are general designs so I'm looking for general feedback, not - I repeat, not - wisdoms about precise label contents or anything so specific. I know it says Showcase on one of the pages but I'm actually thinking of creating one multi-faceted, optimum solution that can best handle the wide range of TV show art and info.

You'll notice a few things:

- rather than thumbnails, the root TV show tier uses fanart. This presents the possibility of multiple artworks for each focused object. It also creates a level of consistency between Shows that regular thumbnails don't have
- the views are designed to transition seamlessly while providing all the information required. No abrupt changes between view types
- because fanart-style artwork is repurposed by the thumbnails, the usual fanart backdrops can be filtered to a point where they no longer dominate the screen. Instead, the thumbnails are larger and command attention

- krypt2nite - 2009-04-04

Hey, it's an interesting concept and great start point. Should branch out nicely.

- hikaricore - 2009-04-04

I just have to say I love your BSG description lol... still looking through it all but had to get that off my mind. :p

- Hitcher - 2009-04-04

Love the synopsis, in fact the whole thing sounds very cool.

- dedaluz - 2009-04-04

Nice concept. I feel it fits the overall Aeon Stark design, beautifully. Seasons are intended to replicate the same concept?

- djh_ - 2009-04-04

Seasons are a bit of an unknown right now, though I'm keen to get away from using season 'artwork' thumbnails. These tend to look like the same thing repeated over and over with a different number. I'd sooner use a fading gallery of hi-res thumbnails from the season itself - or something.

In case it wasn't clear, the idea here is to encapsulate each series within its own 'tablet'. Once you select the tablet, all navigation occurs within.

- gbdesai - 2009-04-04

Loving the concept! Can't wait to see how you implement this. Thanks a million for sharing!

- Hitcher - 2009-04-04

Hell, that gives me a great idea for a Movies mod (any one who remembers my MediaStream mod will know I love unobscured fanart Wink).

Fanart again used instead of poster with Movie name and details above.

Then when stopping for a few seconds the fullscreen info view zooms in.

Actually, isn't this more like your Horizon prototype?

- djh_ - 2009-04-04

Well, there's a hint of NXE to it, though the idea stems more from the content that needs to be displayed, and the size of the thumbnails. 16:9 thumbnails look nasty in coverflow and you can't really display enough as a flat wraplist. The ones scraped by XBMC tend to be shit quality as well, so rather than pander to that it seemed better to go large and encourage a new standard.

- krypt2nite - 2009-04-04

Yeah, I'm sold djh. This can turn out really well. I can visualize this displaying on the ol' bigscreen and it looks good.

- El Massman - 2009-04-04

if the end result is anything like what's going through my head it's going to be amazing. TV shows seem to be one of the lesser focused on aspects of most XBMC skins and i think what it needs is for someone to come along and really turn it on it's head, like this. great work mate, keep it up.

mass

- Hitcher - 2009-04-04

djh_ Wrote:The ones scraped by XBMC tend to be shit quality as well, so rather than pander to that it seemed better to go large and encourage a new standard.

I couldn't agree more. You've got me wanting it now though.

- Shaman - 2009-04-04

Way cool! Excellent concept! That could also be a good alternative way of browsing for serial movies like Star Trek, Star Wars, ...
Can't wait Wink

@+,
Sha!

- djh_ - 2009-04-04

Here's a very quick mockup of the "tablet". So the idea would be that, when it all flows together, each show will be contained inside its own one of these. And you'd kind of open it to reveal the list browser of episodes and seasons. Then you'd focus for a couple of seconds on a list item and it'd fill it with a thumb. I'll have a mockup of that for you soon.

Oh, and the tablet would expand when you choose a show to maximise space. The synopsis bit would be optional, and would only fade in after a couple of seconds.

Jack's a Twat - joebrady - 2009-04-04

HAHAHAHA

i like the ideas