Kodi Community Forum
Film studio Flag Icons - Post new ones here! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Meta-Data provider and Artwork Packs (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Thread: Film studio Flag Icons - Post new ones here! (/showthread.php?tid=48315)

- ccMatrix - 2009-12-09

ekim232 Wrote:If anyone can help me out with the one below that would be great. Thanks in advance for anyone who can assist!

Here it is:

- ekim232 - 2009-12-09

ppic Wrote:ho yes, forgot the size Big Grin

I'm not really skilled for graphism, i've just reverse color, add transparent layer and suppress the black color.

with the Gimp.

a tip, always work with the biggest sized image, reducing is the last things to do (my opinion)

Thanks for the advice. I got as far as deleting the black layer and got stuck. I will have to play around with it to see if I can get it.

- ccMatrix - 2009-12-09

I'm always working with Corel Paint Shop Pro X and it works very well. Here is how I do it:
  1. I turn the image into a greyscale image if it isn't one already
  2. Then I select the layer and turn it into a masked layer with the brightness of the image as a source for the transparency
  3. I fill the old raster layer with white, now it should be all white with transparency depending on the mask
  4. [opt] If the wrong part is transparent, just invert the mask
  5. If the source image was a bit grey, you can adjust the histogram for the mask, to make the white more visible
  6. Resize to matching width or height
  7. Adjust the size of the image and padd as needed to make it the correct size
  8. Export as PNG Wink

- ekim232 - 2009-12-09

ccMatrix Wrote:I'm always working with Corel Paint Shop Pro X and it works very well. Here is how I do it:
  1. I turn the image into a greyscale image if it isn't one already
  2. Then I select the layer and turn it into a masked layer with the brightness of the image as a source for the transparency
  3. I fill the old raster layer with white, now it should be all white with transparency depending on the mask
  4. [opt] If the wrong part is transparent, just invert the mask
  5. If the source image was a bit grey, you can adjust the histogram for the mask, to make the white more visible
  6. Resize to matching width or height
  7. Adjust the size of the image and padd as needed to make it the correct size
  8. Export as PNG Wink

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I gave it a try and have been doing pretty well on the simple ones. I am having trouble with ones that contain a lot of sections like the one below. If you could help with this one that would be great! Thanks again.

- ccMatrix - 2009-12-09

ekim232 Wrote:Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I gave it a try and have been doing pretty well on the simple ones. I am having trouble with ones that contain a lot of sections like the one below. If you could help with this one that would be great! Thanks again.

This one is actually very simple since it already is black and white. The amount of detail doesn't really matter at all with the method I described.

I think I'll setup a new git repository just for all the studio icons so everyone can just grab it and be done instead of hunting down all the various studio logos that might already exist.

- ccMatrix - 2009-12-09

I have setup a github repository with a lot of studio logos in the 161x109 format. You can find the whole thing here:

http://github.com/ccMatrix/StudioLogos/

At the moment there are over 1000 logos there. If you find some that are not there you can post them or a request for them here. The idea is to have a central point that can be easily downloaded and merged into skins. The webpage listed on the first page is very useful but I find it hard to see when new logos were added and which ones. Github can show all that. If someone, who can create good logos, wants commit access to the repository I can do that.

The longterm goal should be to have vector images of the studio logos so they can be easily exported into various sizes. The 161x109 size that was used by Aeon might not work well for other skins. I hope this is a good start and that others can join in on the effort.

I've also created a Google Docs Form where people can report missing studio logos which should make it easier to identify popular studios that are missing from the package.

- ppic - 2009-12-10

is there a need for a script/plugin to dowload them in xbmc (not lot of work i think) ? or better to include it in skin repo?

- ekim232 - 2009-12-10

Thanks for setting this up. It sounds like a really good way to get missing studio logos filled in.

- digitalhigh - 2009-12-10

I like the git repository idea...but maybe we should focus on petitioning TMDB to host these logos. Having a thousand raw images is not nearly as useful as knowing which studio they're associated with as well, no?

It would be a twofold deal...TMDB hosts them and links them to each movie...XBMC and program scrapers would then be able to directly download them on a per-movie basis.

Eh? Eh? Come on now...

- ppic - 2009-12-10

and for tv show logo ?

- Halibutt - 2009-12-11

digitalhigh Wrote:(...)maybe we should focus on petitioning TMDB to host these logos. Having a thousand raw images is not nearly as useful as knowing which studio they're associated with as well, no?(...)
Seems great to me. Anyone contacted them?
Cheers

- ekim232 - 2009-12-12

I think that it would be a good idea to move the git link to a new thread or a sticky to help draw more attention to it. Thanks again for getting this going.

- digitalhigh - 2009-12-12

ppic Wrote:and for tv show logo ?

That would have to be addressed to TVDB?

Halibutt Wrote:Seems great to me. Anyone contacted them?
Cheers

TBH, I brought up the idea a long time ago. It seemed that travis thought it was a good idea, but had a lot of other stuff on his plate at the time. I'll bump the original thread in their forums, anybody else who thinks it's a good idea should sign up and post stating that they would also like to see that feature. If we get enough people to say the same thing...it may get taken care of. Wink

http://forums.themoviedb.org/topic/461/studio-icons/

Edit: As you can see from the link, there are already studio entries in the database, now all it needs is a spot for the logo to be stored.

- ccMatrix - 2009-12-13

Yeah, they have studio entries and with the new api version they can also return that information to XBMC.

What would be really nice is a real specification about the image sizes. At the moment all images are using the Aeon size of 161x109 and for some images I think this is too small since a lot of information is lost (usually text).

What is really nice though, with the current format, is the white + alpha which can be colored with a diffuse color in XBMC skins. This means they are only 1 color but that shouldn't be an issue since the alpha channel provides various intensities of that color.

Which size would be good for studio logos? I personally would love to see SVG in XBMC. All logos could just be SVG files with some pre-defined aspect ratio and this would be scaled to fit by XBMC and always look great. Maybe a size like 320x240 could be a good one?

The library is already pretty large so this would be some major undertaking but it would really be useful to XBMC skins in the long-term.

Maybe a dev can give some insight on SVG - the basic support would be just fine - no scripting or animation would be necessary at this point.

- digitalhigh - 2009-12-13

ccMatrix Wrote:Yeah, they have studio entries and with the new api version they can also return that information to XBMC.

What would be really nice is a real specification about the image sizes. At the moment all images are using the Aeon size of 161x109 and for some images I think this is too small since a lot of information is lost (usually text).

What is really nice though, with the current format, is the white + alpha which can be colored with a diffuse color in XBMC skins. This means they are only 1 color but that shouldn't be an issue since the alpha channel provides various intensities of that color.

Which size would be good for studio logos? I personally would love to see SVG in XBMC. All logos could just be SVG files with some pre-defined aspect ratio and this would be scaled to fit by XBMC and always look great. Maybe a size like 320x240 could be a good one?

The library is already pretty large so this would be some major undertaking but it would really be useful to XBMC skins in the long-term.

Maybe a dev can give some insight on SVG - the basic support would be just fine - no scripting or animation would be necessary at this point.

So...you're proposing we convert all studio images to Vector?

I would agree, that would be a buttload of work.

My suggestion would be to keep them simple, and try to avoid deviating from what we have now as much as possible. This would make it as easy as possible for all involved to use and edit.

Something like:

.png format; 400x300 "frame size", with the logo being contained in a 350x260 area; white with transparent background.

What's nice about this is that 400x300 is pretty close to the same ratio used by Aeon (1.4:1 versus 1.3:1). Same for the "internal" dimensions. So, in theory, resizing these shouldn't affect their appearance in Aeon.

These dimensions are also a lot easier to remember than 125x82 and 161x109.

However, I do think that vector may be a bit much. While the scalability of it is a fun thing...I think the amount of work that would have to go into the logos that don't already have vector files would be huge. Much easier to implement images that are all the same size and will be confined to a known range within that size...no?