Kodi Community Forum
Ember Media Manager NFO/Poster/FanArt Manager for Movies (Open Source VB.NET) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Ember Media Manager (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=195)
+---- Thread: Ember Media Manager NFO/Poster/FanArt Manager for Movies (Open Source VB.NET) (/showthread.php?tid=50348)

- nul7 - 2009-07-29

chuckles Wrote:Hi,

I just started playing with r790 (x64 version). When scanning in a folder the nfo files and poster files and fanart files are not picked up (the tickboxes next to the movies in the list remain blank)

These are files that were originally created with a previous run of Ember

If I reload a movie (F5) it will load in the infomation from the nfo file but not the images (poster and fanart) and still the tickboxes remain unticked

I'm I missing something?

nojuan Wrote:I have the use <movie> only for folders disabled and have tried numerous combinations of the file naming settings. Nothing seems to make them display in the window and check the boxes. Even did a reinstall of .Net. The scrapers do work, however it just refuses to show. Not a deal killer for me.Shows up fine in XBMC.

Also, great app. Have tried the others and have found this to be the more polished. Thank you for this.

Can you two post a screen shot of a directory and its files for a movie that does detect the supplemental files as well as a screen shot of the Files and Sources page of the settings dialog?

- dafart - 2009-07-29

Nice and clean interface and handy and quick app.
How's the situation on support for linux/mono ? I tried running it on both my linux and osx box by using mono but unfortunatly to no avail.

Hopefully there's still some interest in porting this multiplatform!

Thanks nonetheless

- chuckles - 2009-07-29

nul7 Wrote:Can you two post a screen shot of a directory and its files for a movie that does detect the supplemental files as well as a screen shot of the Files and Sources page of the settings dialog?

Just a note, I gave the 32bit version a go, same result (using XP 64bit)

File Listing View

File and Sources page

Main screen after first scanning the folder (note it has got the correct movie names, not the filenames)

Main screen after hitting F5 to reload the movie, seems to load the nfo file

- HexusOdy - 2009-07-29

I wonder how many people, like me, have stopped reading this thread. Theres 190 pages and nearly 3 months of movie related bug postings, which at first were fine but now its just tweak after tweak and minor bug after minor bug for movies when its been 99.9% stable for ages. In fact I haven't upgraded in about a month and it does everything I want and more and runs stable.

I started using Ember because its showed great promise for my whole collection, not just movies. And while its great for Movies and has been for AGES I'm seriously bored of the lack of support for anything else. I feel like I was sold on the product by a promise of support for TV and then Music which doesn't look like ever happening.

I appreciate you ability and the time you have put in Nul7, but my feeling is that you are daunted by starting a whole new section and the work involved in building something from scratch for TV.

Which is fine and is your right if you don't want to do it, in the end you do this because you want too. But let us know because I can start looking for something thats going to fill all my needs, not just one.

- nul7 - 2009-07-29

dafart Wrote:Nice and clean interface and handy and quick app.
How's the situation on support for linux/mono ? I tried running it on both my linux and osx box by using mono but unfortunatly to no avail.

Hopefully there's still some interest in porting this multiplatform!

Thanks nonetheless

Yes, that's still part of the game plan... who knows when we'll actually get around to doing it though. lol

chuckles Wrote:Just a note, I gave the 32bit version a go, same result (using XP 64bit)

I just created an identical folder to yours and copied your settings and it worked just fine for me..... possibly from tweaks/fixes done after r790. We'll probably have a new release out in a couple days. Perhaps I'll post a test version tomorrow just to see where we're at.

HexusOdy Wrote:I wonder how many people, like me, have stopped reading this thread. Theres 190 pages and nearly 3 months of movie related bug postings, which at first were fine but now its just tweak after tweak and minor bug after minor bug for movies when its been 99.9% stable for ages. In fact I haven't upgraded in about a month and it does everything I want and more and runs stable.

I started using Ember because its showed great promise for my whole collection, not just movies. And while its great for Movies and has been for AGES I'm seriously bored of the lack of support for anything else. I feel like I was sold on the product by a promise of support for TV and then Music which doesn't look like ever happening.

I appreciate you ability and the time you have put in Nul7, but my feeling is that you are daunted by starting a whole new section and the work involved in building something from scratch for TV.

Which is fine and is your right if you don't want to do it, in the end you do this because you want too. But let us know because I can start looking for something thats going to fill all my needs, not just one.

First off, we didn't sell you anything or make any promises as to what or when features will be included. We have said many times that we will begin TV support when the movies section is done. We, as the developers, decide when that is. We have made countless posts explaining that we would rather have a program that does one thing 100% then have a program that does 2 things 50%. We have stated that the movies section is almost done and will probably have one more major release before beginning TV support. I'm sorry if that's not good enough for you or that we're not working fast enough... maybe if you actually helped with the project instead of just complaining about it we would be further along? I mean, according to you we should just stop development of Ember because we don't have TV support yet. Hell, it would give us more free time. It's not like that would cause us any harm and if we're just going to be hassled about it not meeting your expectations, maybe that would be the best thing.

I really don't understand the purpose of your post. Do you think that demanding TV support is motivation for us to start working on it?? Quite the opposite, indeed. :/ The bottom line is, if you're unhappy with Ember or the progress we have made, by all means, use a different program. We're not forcing you to use Ember. We're not forcing you to read this thread. We don't owe you anything.

When you're finished writing the code for TV support, we'll gladly add it to Ember....

- Nuno - 2009-07-29

HexusOdy Wrote:I wonder how many people, like me, have stopped reading this thread. Theres 190 pages and nearly 3 months of movie related bug postings, which at first were fine but now its just tweak after tweak and minor bug after minor bug for movies when its been 99.9% stable for ages. In fact I haven't upgraded in about a month and it does everything I want and more and runs stable.

I’m really sad about your post.
First, all Ember team have work hard, and (special nul7) have spent a lot more time that it probably should.
All we have promised we made. If you read the 190 pages of this forum (that you said yourself you don’t) you can check that the TV Movies will come, when the time is right, and we never told that will be next week or next month…
I can say that your post instead of motivating me, make exactly the opposite. We have been working for the last release on ember internal, preparing it for TV Show and other functions. Work to support TV Show already start for long, even if is not visible. We planned to start a new branch for it real soon, but we shouldn't /can’t be pushed. We have our time to make things, Ember is probably the best Media Manager around (this is IMHO) and 90% of it was done at the cost of many nul7 hours (some of then sleep hours)
What can I say more? … “When you're finished writing the code for TV support, we'll gladly add it to Ember....”

- chuckles - 2009-07-29

nul7 Wrote:I just created an identical folder to yours and copied your settings and it worked just fine for me..... possibly from tweaks/fixes done after r790. We'll probably have a new release out in a couple days. Perhaps I'll post a test version tomorrow just to see where we're at.

Just grabbed the latest source and tried it, works here too (r859)

- HexusOdy - 2009-07-29

I thought I made it clear in my post that you don't owe anybody anything and that I understand you do this because you want to and you don't owe anybody anything.

But to me, personally, and this is been backed up with other posts in this thread from other people. Its way beyond the line of diminished returns now with the movies section, or so it seems. Adding extra tweaks and bits and bobs here and there when its done exactly what 98.9% of users have wanted it to do for movies for ages.

Yet there isn't one currently working TV scraper outside of MIP (which I find hugely bloated). Media Companion v1 was dropped and now has a tonne of bugs due to changes in tvdb. Media Companion v2, still doesn't have TV support as Ember doesn't.

Take it as a compliment that I like Embers interface and usability and want the same for TV shows.

- JustinAiken - 2009-07-29

The TVDB scraper works really well; just rename the files in the odd series to match thetvdb's episode list, and you're good!

I have had no trouble adding any of my TV shows (around 60 full TV shows)... but scraping movies from inside XBMC is terrible! I'm glad Ember is there to fill that void...

I for one would rather see it's movie scraping abilities improve, rather than a TV section added...

Smile

- olympia - 2009-07-29

HexusOdy Wrote:I thought I made it clear in my post that you don't owe anybody anything and that I understand you do this because you want to and you don't owe anybody anything.

But to me, personally, and this is been backed up with other posts in this thread from other people. Its way beyond the line of diminished returns now with the movies section, or so it seems. Adding extra tweaks and bits and bobs here and there when its done exactly what 98.9% of users have wanted it to do for movies for ages.

Yet there isn't one currently working TV scraper outside of MIP (which I find hugely bloated). Media Companion v1 was dropped and now has a tonne of bugs due to changes in tvdb. Media Companion v2, still doesn't have TV support as Ember doesn't.

Take it as a compliment that I like Embers interface and usability and want the same for TV shows.

I can't beleive you're continuing to try to prove and explain why we are in a bad track. I am confident to say Ember introduced exciting and useful features by EVERY release. I wouldn't call them "bits". Some of those features, and to prepare for the future growth (TV section as well) required to rethink, redesign and rewrite major parts of the code. Once again, a lot of work in the background was already done to prepare for TV section. But we WANT to finish the movie section. I can tell you why you aren't find Ember bloated. Because there is a lot of planning, discussion and testing behind the scenes within the team. I think we, especially Nul7 was also successfully incorporated most of the user requests in a way, that interface and usability remain slick... And yes, we are listening for user requests, even if you consider them as "bits". Becuase they "personally" want that for a good reason. Are you really seriously complaining for something which is resulting in that SW, what you like that much?

And yes, there are still in our bunch. The next release will introduce some more amazing features... and yes, this again would require a bugfix release, because there are always some. Even if we do our best to test everything out.

So again, TV shows are not forgotten, we will take the same care about it. I can't wait for complaints like: "TV shows" is ready for my personal taste for AGES. Why ure are not already started Music section for AGES?

- havix - 2009-07-29

@olympia

Personally I'm loving the attention to detail. The requests I've put in have been promptly taken care of and have resulted I think in a better app. I still have a few more features I'm going to suggest for movies. I'm glad you guys haven't moved on yet. Get one thing right and then move onto the next. No other app out there can compare to Ember for movies. Thanks guys!

- rvank - 2009-07-29

Hi, I have a strange thing when using 'update library' in version 790.
I have 219 folders of movies in the 'source' folder when i use the 'update library' then i get as result 195 movies, using 'update library' again and i have 230 movies. some of the movies are now in green (marked as 'New'). Using a filter for 'New' items i get a count of 35 movies.
Using the 'update library' again then i'm back on 195 ... and so on.

All the 35 movies are VIDEO_TS folders

Any thoughts on what is happening here ...

gr. Rob.

- olympia - 2009-07-29

rvank Wrote:Hi, I have a strange thing when using 'update library' in version 790.
I have 219 folders of movies in the 'source' folder when i use the 'update library' then i get as result 195 movies, using 'update library' again and i have 230 movies. some of the movies are now in green (marked as 'New'). Using a filter for 'New' items i get a count of 35 movies.
Using the 'update library' again then i'm back on 195 ... and so on.

All the 35 movies are VIDEO_TS folders

Any thoughts on what is happening here ...

gr. Rob.

Yes, we already discovered and fixed this bug on SVN.
So you will have it corrected in the next release!

Thank you for reporting! Nod

- SHen350 - 2009-07-30

olympia Wrote:I can't beleive you're continuing to try to prove and explain why we are in a bad track. I am confident to say Ember introduced exciting and useful features by EVERY release. I wouldn't call them "bits". Some of those features, and to prepare for the future growth (TV section as well) required to rethink, redesign and rewrite major parts of the code. Once again, a lot of work in the background was already done to prepare for TV section. But we WANT to finish the movie section. I can tell you why you aren't find Ember bloated. Because there is a lot of planning, discussion and testing behind the scenes within the team. I think we, especially Nul7 was also successfully incorporated most of the user requests in a way, that interface and usability remain slick... And yes, we are listening for user requests, even if you consider them as "bits". Becuase they "personally" want that for a good reason. Are you really seriously complaining for something which is resulting in that SW, what you like that much?

And yes, there are still in our bunch. The next release will introduce some more amazing features... and yes, this again would require a bugfix release, because there are always some. Even if we do our best to test everything out.

So again, TV shows are not forgotten, we will take the same care about it. I can't wait for complaints like: "TV shows" is ready for my personal taste for AGES. Why ure are not already started Music section for AGES?

Well, I'd feal bad if you had to wait a long time, so here goes....

"TV Shows has been ready for my personal taste for AGES!!! Why have you not already started Music section?"

There, I just saved you having to wait for it. Wink

- RKMFlorida - 2009-07-30

I, for one, am in complete agreement with doing the movie section right, before moving to the TV section. The ratio of TV to movies, is low, and yet so much of what you are doing in movies translates.

Anyone familiar with OO patterns knows that you perfect the fundamentals first, then inheret these solid fundamentals in expanded features.

Your development is solid, methodical, and well thought, IMHO.

On a separate note...

I just upgraded to r790 from a much earlier release (6-something). I've run into some strange issues.

1. Filename In earlier versions, I believe Ember used the filename for the title displayed in the left-sidebar-list. In r790, it's using the scraped name. The problem with this, is that when you do an "automatic" run, many of those names are wrong and it makes it very difficult to hone-in on the erroneous movies. Is there an option to revert back to the filename, or show both? If not, there has to be some way to sort/order/expose the original filename to more easily find those movies that were mistitled as part of an automatic run.

2. Using XP Pro, 32-Bit, r790, When I do a "re-scrape" (by right-clicking) of a movie, pick the image, click OK on the description and return to Ember's main UI, the thumbnail does not show up. When I click onto another movie in the left-sidebar-list, then back onto the movie I've just "re-scraped", no data is present whatsoever. If I choose to "Reload" the info will appear (without thumbnail, despite it being there), then disappear as I click off the movie again.

There are no errors logged. Prior to upgrading there were no similar issues.

3. Using Windows 7, 64-Bit, r790 (fresh / new install), none of the buttons are shown along the bottom of the "Movie Search Results" dialog that you'll receive when picking a title-match for a movie, against the IMDB results. No OK button, no CANCEL, no "Modify IMDB" checkbox, etc.

4. Logging Some time ago, you mentioned more finite logging (verbose mode) that you'd work towards, so we could give you more empirical/objective bug reports. We're talking about thorough reporting during the scraping/search processes (not general GUI functionality, etc). I hope this is still on your to-do list, because it would make it much easier to get to the bottom of some of these issues!