Kodi Community Forum
Video library redesign idea - How can we improve Smart Playlists, aka Filtered Lists? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Video library redesign idea - How can we improve Smart Playlists, aka Filtered Lists? (/showthread.php?tid=51605)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- fidoboy - 2009-08-03

I totally agree lunerceli, I don't see the purpose of making changes to the filtered lists (which almost nobody uses) and not give priority, for example, to changes in the offline library... There are necessary changes into movies library, but they has nothing to do with filtered playlist...

Just my two cents, i hope that other users agree with my modest opinion...

regards,

- JohnWPB - 2009-08-14

Ok, at risk of getting flamed, I will reply to this thread without completely understanding exactly what information is wanted. It's hard for me to distinguish what is on and what is off topic.

Yes, this has been mentioned all over the forums, and there are tons of work arounds, but this thread appears to be the place to actually request it.)

I think just a general "category" addition would be extremely helpful, and bring XBMC up to the same available options level as Meedio, MyMovies and many others.

A separate adult section was suggested a couple pages back... this and may other items can be handled by the categories section.

The addition of categories, would allow you to categorize movies such as adult, Animated, Favorite movies, Christmas Movies, Home Movies and any other thing you could think of.

This could then be used in addition to other filters to say sort for "All Animated movies < 1990"

The hardest part of adding something like this is that no skins will support it up front, as XBMC does not handle dynamic buttons labels and placement. For instance there will be no button saying "Home Movies". There are no dynamic drop down lists ect.... For Instance, MyMovies handles this by adding new dynamic buttons on the fly that have the set name and link to the category. This is not possible with XBMC, as all button locations and labels are hard coded in the skin files.

This would initially need to be added to the file list with sources, drives ect, such as the now available list by title, year, genre... As skins update, these items can be added to better incorporate them.

Lastly, this would require a new field to be in the XML files (Movie.nfo) that programs such as Media Companion, and Media Info Plus create. This would allow for assigning categories directly in those external movie collection management programs. A "Right Click" option would also be needed in XBMC, that would allow you to pick a category for a selected movie in your database from a list of known categories, or to create a new one with the OSK.

I do hope this was posted in the correct place, as I was linked here trying to find a work around for doing something like this now with my home movies.

- fidoboy - 2009-08-15

Good point JohnWPB, it could be a very useful adition. It could be even better if you can have into that new custom categories, an offline movies category. I've not thought about this in that way, but now i see that having custom categories could be a great advance...

regards,

- JohnWPB - 2009-08-16

Precisely! You could use the categories for what ever you wanted to use them for, offline movies, Kid's Movies, Home Movies, CES Video's, SEMA Videos, the list is what ever you would want it to be!

My thinking is that it would work almost exactly line genre currently works.

With button code, you could make buttons that directly link to any category:

<onclick>ActivateWindow(10024,Category=Home Movies)</onclick>

An example of a playlist rule for instance:

<rule field="path" Catagory="contains">Kids Movies</rule>

I think the easiest way to tackle it would be to copy the genre code section, and alter it from there. It should work very similar, just that the categories can be defined.

Something like this is a change at the very heart of the core, and will not happen, and be supported overnight. The hard part will be trying to skin it all into place. Such getting the Info from a selected movie in the list, and having a new button for "Assign Category" and then able to assign an category to it, or add a new one with the OSK.

Then the new field in the movie.nfo and such that are created with the 3rd party scrapers out there (Media Info +, Media Companion ect ec)

- JustinAiken - 2009-08-17

I'm starting the Coalition of People that don't want concerts, home videos, or their wife's Pilates videos showing up in their movies, but don't know how to code so can't do anything about it. :p

Read the thread! - jmarshall - 2009-08-17

How about you read the thread? Just reading my posts would be a start.

DIFFERENT CONTENT TYPES WILL BE SUPPORTED IN THE NEW LIBRARY

(Assuming I ever get some spare time to code it up ofcourse!)

Cheers,
Jonathan

- JohnWPB - 2009-08-17

jmarshall: Yes, it has been requested, and at this point, it is still just a request. This is just a good of place, if any, for discussion and tossing around ideas as to how it will work, and what is to be expected from it ect. I think there are some valuable ideas in the last few posts for just that.

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here, just toss around ideas, as that is exactly what this thread was started for, if I have read it correctly.

It's better to get all bases covered, and see what people would want, and ways to tackle it before trying to code something, at least in my experience......

I have learned that over the years of skinning and changing Road Runner's internal source code, in one of my threads in particular with almost 4,000 replies in that thread.

- jmarshall - 2009-08-17

Feel free to keep discussing. I'll bow out of the conversation as it's kinda pointless for me to reiterate my plans until I get some code working anyway, which won't be for quite some time.

All input from this thread and others has been considered, and I have a pretty good idea of how to proceed.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- JohnWPB - 2009-08-17

Hehehe please don't "bow out" as your input and suggestions on this is obviously the most important of all!

I just re-read this thread from top to bottom. You keep mentioning that categories has been mentioned, and you are going to implement that. I could not find one mention specifically of the categories like I have mentioned in my past couple of posts.

There is lots of talk about IMDB filters, nodes, filters, rules and all sorts of other stuff, but nothing directly on my sugestion of categories, anywhere that I could find at least.......

- jmarshall - 2009-08-17

You may want to search further abroad - I've mentioned it in several posts.

Essentially a "root node" in the database can be any category you like - home movies, adult, mainstream movies, tv documentaries, whatever. Currently we have 3 root nodes: Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos. The new library will allow more than one "Movies" node, each named differently, more than one "TV Shows" node, etc. - they're your main categories.

Furthermore, given that the metadata will be completely specifiable by the user, if you want subcategories you have that as well. The database simply takes key,value pairs (in addition to some well-defined common keys, such as genre, group, director, year and so on)

Lastly, you'll be able to browse by your filesystem (with full metadata), so if that's organised how you like, then nothing more to do.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- JohnWPB - 2009-08-17

Ahhh my mistake then I guess. I was not thinking to search in all of the other threads where it may have been mentioned Big Grin I thought this was a thread specifically asking for these types of requests, posts & discussions.

How will the nodes be set up exactly? How will I set for instance "Kid's films" as a category? I do not want to base this off of genra, rating ect.. just somehow that I tell it that I want such and such movie put into that category.

Currently there is no way at all to change what genre, movie description, or any of the data stored in the database for a movie. About the only things that can be changed from the GUI are the fanart, thumb and the title of a movie.

This is the reason that I personally use the 3rd party movie parsers to scan, collect and edit the movies with. This way I can alter the info such as "93 min" -vs- "USA 93 min - Germany 96 Min - Directors cut additional 7 minutes of footage" This then puts all the info in movie.nfo that XBMC uses instead of scraping for the info itself. I have around 1,600 movies, and when I very first started using XBMC, and used it to automatically add movies, it got around 20% of them wrong, with no real easy way to fix it. Sure the 3rd party scrapers get it wrong many times on auto scanning, but let you easily correct the info before saving it all out to be scanned with XBMC.

Aside from that rant, will a new item need to be added to movie.nfo for the category information?

- JustinAiken - 2009-08-17

jmarshall Wrote:Essentially a "root node" in the database can be any category you like - home movies, adult, mainstream movies, tv documentaries, whatever. Currently we have 3 root nodes: Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos. The new library will allow more than one "Movies" node, each named differently, more than one "TV Shows" node, etc. - they're your main categories.

Exciting, that's perfect! Big Grin

Is this going to be in the next 'C' release?

- fidoboy - 2009-08-17

jmarshall, is the offline library being considered as one of those nodes?

- crash123 - 2009-08-18

jmarshall Wrote:You may want to search further abroad - I've mentioned it in several posts.

Essentially a "root node" in the database can be any category you like - home movies, adult, mainstream movies, tv documentaries, whatever. Currently we have 3 root nodes: Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos. The new library will allow more than one "Movies" node, each named differently, more than one "TV Shows" node, etc. - they're your main categories.

Furthermore, given that the metadata will be completely specifiable by the user, if you want subcategories you have that as well. The database simply takes key,value pairs (in addition to some well-defined common keys, such as genre, group, director, year and so on)

Lastly, you'll be able to browse by your filesystem (with full metadata), so if that's organised how you like, then nothing more to do.

Cheers,
Jonathan
That sounds great man. +1 Big Grin

- pencilhead - 2009-08-21

I have been playing with personal video database - http://www.videodb.info, as a means of storing my video library. It is based on firebird database. It has really powerfull import / export options. It would be awesome to be read the database file from xbmc to create a movie/TV list.