Kodi Community Forum
[OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=51945)

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-10

there's one problem I noticed with the windows build that doesn't occur on linux: the epg is showing garbled data when xbmc is started with an existing database. I guess it has something to do with the character encoding.

edit:
the data is correct when it's refreshed so it could be something else too. I'll check it out later.

- walinsky - 2010-11-11

@dushmaniac
Gratz on your efforts so far!

talking about EPG...
I would love seeing the group timeline as a switchable option for the channel epg. Either I've missed something obvious, or it's just not there.

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-11

could you explain what you mean by "group timeline"?

- walinsky - 2010-11-11

When having the TV main menu selected, one can pop up the EPG timeline for the currently selected group of channels (bouquet).
However, when playing a channel (fullscreen) one can only pop up EPG specifically for that channel. It would be a bless if that pop-up could be changed/configured to the group (bouquet) timeline.

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-12

sounds like a good idea, but that's something for later. I'm currently focussing on the tvheadend plugin, but will look to other things after pvr is in the official trunk/master.

- elgoretto - 2010-11-12

Hi dushmaniac,

I'm following your instruction to build your "flavored" XBMC and "patched" SVN tvheadend from sources. Using a custom Gentoo ebuild, I managed to get your "Dharma-pvr" GIT branch automatically fetched and compiled on my box.
Ohh yeaaah. Smile

Well, at least it worked the 5th of november Wink
I just wanted to know if you're interested in feedbacks about compilation problem (like I have today, but you may be in the middle of something on your git so I'll try again later).

About tvheadend, I read that 0002-add-signal-status-in-HTSP.2.patch is not to be applied anymore, that left me with "00-tvheadend-add-caid-to-channel.patch[.patch]". Is it the only one patch that shoud be applied to SVN right now?
Same question here about patching problems. You may have already guessed, I couldn't apply the new 00-tvheadend-add-caid-to-channel.patch on today tvheadend SVN Smile

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-13

Thanks for reporting back Smile

The only one that you'd want to apply is http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/attachment/ticket/299/0001-add-CA-id-and-name-to-the-channel-entry-in-htsp.patch

The other one is already applied to the tvheadend svn.

- elgoretto - 2010-11-13

Today both XBMC and tvheadend builds are fine, thank you for the last patch Smile

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-13

if you took the latest sources, you might want to start compiling again because I just pushed some changes 30 minutes ago that fix the signal status with the latest tvheadend (if you took that from svn, >= rev 5615)

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-13

if you're compiling for windows, you'll notice that the EPG is messed up (posted that a couple of days ago too). the cause is the character conversion, as I suspected earlier:
Code:
ERROR: convert_checked failed from UTF-8 to UTF-16LE, errno=42

I'll look into it later

- Gujs - 2010-11-14

Hi dushmaniac. I am trying master branch from your git and it doesn't work. It always crashes when I try to play TV channel with Illegal instruction error. This only happens if I play it through PVR client, it works OK if I add tvheadend into video source.

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-14

Use the dharma-pvr branch for now. I wanted to look to master this week end but didn't have enough time.

edit:
master is working fine so use that Smile

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-15

just tested a windows build from the master branch from this morning and it works fine (except for the bad character conversion). doing a clean build for linux now and I'll have a look at it.

edit:
also fine on linux, both with and without vdpau. the problem might have been fixed already. if it's not fixed with the latest source, please provide some more info (debug log, load the coredump with gdb and see what's wrong, etc.)

- martdj - 2010-11-15

dushmaniac Wrote:Use the dharma-pvr branch for now. I wanted to look to master this week end but didn't have enough time.

edit:
master is working fine so use that Smile
What's the difference between the two branches? So far I always thought we should use the Dharma+pvr branch. Does the Master branch also include the pvr stuff?

- opdenkamp - 2010-11-15

both include pvr support. I explained it a couple of times now and it's on the github page too, in the description:
master = official xbmc master/trunk with pvr merged
dharma-pvr = that same merge backported to dharma

The only reason for creating the dharma-pvr branch is because I wanted an environment that is as stable as possible for my TV systems. Since Dharma is almost finalised, this would be the most stable situation I can get, so I backported the pvr merge.