Kodi Community Forum
TV Shows and DVD exports - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: TV Shows and DVD exports (/showthread.php?tid=52025)

Pages: 1 2

TV Shows and DVD exports - eheav - 2009-05-31

Hi there,

I read through the naming convention examples for TV shows, but they only provide examples for AVIs.

I converted all DVDs to Video_TS, and am now having a folder structure that looks like this:

[DRIVE]\TV Shows\Show name\Season\Disc\VIDEO_TS\
eg.
TV Shows\24\Season 1\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\ and
TV Shows\24\Season 1\Disc 2\VIDEO_TS\
TV Shows\24\Season 2\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\ ...

I also just realized that I had some that were in this format:
[DRIVE]\TV Shows\Show name\Season X - Disc Y\VIDEO_TS\
eg.
TV Shows\Lost\Season 1 - Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\
TV Shows\Lost\Season 1 - Disc 2\VIDEO_TS\
TV Shows\Lost\Season 2 - Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\

XBMC seems to be confused with both naming conventions.
Could you let me know how I can make XBMC show the seasons and discs in the right order?

Thanks

- KidKiwi - 2009-06-01

It used to be that the Vdieo_TS format didn't work with TV shows - although that could have changed?? I used to run Video_TS format myself until problems with them under the TV show side. I switched to ISO format and have never had a problem since. Working with a one file format seems easier as well.

As for the naming format, I use "TVShows\Showname\SeasonNo\Showname.S**E**.Episodename.iso" Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

- eheav - 2009-06-01

Thanks for the response.
I'd hate to have to convert all the video_ts to iso, just too time consuming.
However, I just realized that about 80% of my movies were crashing in xbmc.
The one movie I tried to convertt to iso also crashed.
I see in your signature that u say "Xbox". Are you not running the apple tv version?

- Boseman - 2009-06-01

eheav Wrote:Hi there,

I read through the naming convention examples for TV shows, but they only provide examples for AVIs.

I converted all DVDs to Video_TS, and am now having a folder structure that looks like this:

[DRIVE]\TV Shows\Show name\Season\Disc\VIDEO_TS\
eg.
TV Shows\24\Season 1\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\ and
TV Shows\24\Season 1\Disc 2\VIDEO_TS\
TV Shows\24\Season 2\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\ ...

I also just realized that I had some that were in this format:
[DRIVE]\TV Shows\Show name\Season X - Disc Y\VIDEO_TS\
eg.
TV Shows\Lost\Season 1 - Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\
TV Shows\Lost\Season 1 - Disc 2\VIDEO_TS\
TV Shows\Lost\Season 2 - Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\

XBMC seems to be confused with both naming conventions.
Could you let me know how I can make XBMC show the seasons and discs in the right order?

Thanks

A good resource to fall back on is:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows

From what I see in your layout, I believe Season 1- Disc 1 will have very little effect on describing the episode information required by the scraper. In your example each DVD image (VIDEO_TS) contains multiple episodes and need to be identified as described in the wiki.

Unfortunately, my movies and TV episodes are in .vob format at present, but I have used Video_TS in the past and I see no reason it should not work.

EDIT: OOPS! Appears I was wrong about my assessment (and previous use of video_ts for TV). I just attempted it myself and it appears that XBMC ties the episode naming convention to an actual file(s) and not a folder. So while it finds the Show Name, it does not resolve the episode info for the library entry, resulting with the show, but 0 episodes. Sorry if I caused confusion. Maybe the experts have a better answer.

- KidKiwi - 2009-06-01

eheav Wrote:Thanks for the response.
I'd hate to have to convert all the video_ts to iso, just too time consuming.
However, I just realized that about 80% of my movies were crashing in xbmc.
The one movie I tried to convertt to iso also crashed.
I see in your signature that u say "Xbox". Are you not running the apple tv version?

Yeah...sorry about that. I use the "New Posts" function on the forum and I don't always catch the sub-forum you are posting in. You are correct...I run an xbox. Can't help with an aTV - sorry.

how to store tv shows - Paulkai - 2009-06-02

Hi Newbie Here

I'am downloading lost season 4 in hd at the moment, I have had a look at the on line manual, I undrstand how to import into xbmc, but I do not understand the Folder structure, could someone please clarify, If I have a folder named lost season4, Is that enough, or do I have to have main Folder lost Season 4, then have subfolder for each episode i,e lost season 4 episode 1 etc, please excuse the ignorance.

Paul

- Boseman - 2009-06-02

Paulkai Wrote:Hi Newbie Here

I'am downloading lost season 4 in hd at the moment, I have had a look at the on line manual, I undrstand how to import into xbmc, but I do not understand the Folder structure, could someone please clarify, If I have a folder named lost season4, Is that enough, or do I have to have main Folder lost Season 4, then have subfolder for each episode i,e lost season 4 episode 1 etc, please excuse the ignorance.

Paul

In my case I have a high level folder named Television, then the TV Show name folder, then the episode .vobs.

Like this:

True Blood => folder Name
True Blood_s01e01.VOB
True Blood_s01e02.VOB
True Blood_s01e12.VOB

Works like a charm.

- aedile - 2009-06-02

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows_%28Video_Library%29#Multi-part_Episodes

Not having used VIDEO_TS folders myself, I know i can get multiple episode DVD iso's recognized by naming the files correctly. For example, if the first DVD in a season had episodes 1-3, I might use the following filename:

TV Shows
- Show Name
- Season 1
- S01E01E02E03.ISO

Not exactly intuitive but XBMC seems to pick it up without an issue.

- eheav - 2009-06-04

Thanks both for your replies.
So, I'm pulling my hair out on this one, and I see that both of you have found a solution to convert DVDs into a single file (vob or iso).
I've backed up at this point 80% of my DVD library (spent a lot of time on that unfortunately), doing what I thought was exact copies of the DVD, and had been having problems playing them in library mode in xbmc.
Since they played fine in nitoTV, I thought it was an xbmc bug.
I just realized that in fact, those backups were problematic in a lot of ways, even in nitoTV:
1 - the sound is fairly bad in some of them (volume goes up and down), and I don't have access to all the different audio options (eg. DTS, DD...)
2 - the image quality is not as good as the source (DVD) - ie. quality loss, even with an "exact copy"
3 - turns out that the reason why they are not playing in xbmc is that for some reason, the DVD menu is not recognized as such by xbmc. I noticed that because the movies actually start in XBMC with library mode off (as opposed to crashing). In non-library mode, I'm stuck on the dvd menu, because the remote is not controlling the DVD menu, rather it is bringing up the osd, which does not show the dvd menu button (it does on the movies that play fine)

So, at this point, I pretty much am resigned to have to re-backup my library. However, I'm looking for guidance/recommandation on how to best do this.
My priorities:
1 - minimum quality loss on all front (video or audio) - disc space is not an issue for me, HDs are fairly cheap these days, I had planned for 3-4 TB for my library
2 - loooove the xbmc library and interface. I really want to have tv shows and movies working in xbmc
3 - solution that allows me to backup copy-protected dvds
4 - ideally, I'd like the toolset to use for backup to run on os x, as that is my primary os now (can run windows through parallels, but am concerned about performance of the backup process)

I'm a complete noob in the ripping/conversion world, so if that is the path you recommend, any guidance/best practices you could point me to would be greatly appreciated.
So far, the tools I've tried:
1 - on Windows: DVD Next Copy >> This is the one that I think has generated all these corrupted copies
2 - On Mac: MacTheRipper >> Latest version seems to work great, although some copy-protected dvds cannot be copied, also don't know how to make TV shows work, as it generates VIDEO_TS
3 - ffmpgx: I just played around with the menu and got lost very quickly. Also, I couldn't test anything since the first disc I tried to rip because of copy protection.

... Sorry for the lengthy post, and yes, I own all the DVDs I want to backup

- Boseman - 2009-06-04

I use MTR to rip full disc. Then I use DVD2ONE v2.3.1, Movie only (Settings: Target Media Player) to extract to vob. For movies you want to make sure you are picking the appropriate title, since some titles are director comment, language specific, etc. Easily done by using OS X DVD player if in doubt, firing up the movie, GO, Title, and it indicates the title playing. However, in the majority of cases, DVD2ONE defaults to the correct one.

If you have a ripped DVD to VideoTS, then you are half way there. DVD2ONE can be used in batch mode, make sure you set logging to file so it does not require your attention.

For TV episodes, use same method. You will notice that each episode is in title order, so it generates a single vob for each episode/title. Use any naming convention outlined in the XBMC doc, or as listed above by Aedile or myself.

The quality is extremely good. If you extract the vob from an MTR rip using DVD2ONE, there tends to be less (or no) compression than to full disc. You can adjust this in DVD2ONEs options.

- eheav - 2009-06-05

Thanks Boseman,

I just tried DVD2ONE, and it did a very nice work with all the movies that I thought were corrupted.
Definitely will be a huge time saver for me since the conversion to single VOB process is 5X as fast as recreating the backups.

- ruddog - 2009-06-13

eheav, I had the same issue with TV shows in VIDEO_TS format, and found a work around for File Mode, but I would rather use Library Mode.

KidKiwi, thanks for the advise. I am currently reripping my TV shows as isos (although I could probably just script mkisofs....) so that I can watch them in Library Mode.

Quote:Not having used VIDEO_TS folders myself, I know i can get multiple episode DVD iso's recognized by naming the files correctly. For example, if the first DVD in a season had episodes 1-3, I might use the following filename:

TV Shows
- Show Name
- Season 1
- S01E01E02E03.ISO

aedile, great idea, but I have a slightly better one. I host my media in a Samba share on a Linux box, so I used symlinks to make one .iso look like many:

TV/
Show Name/
Season 1/
1x01.iso (real .iso)
1x02.iso -> 1x01.iso (symlink)
1x03.iso -> 1x01.iso (symlink)
1x04.iso -> 1x01.iso (symlink)
1x05.iso (real .iso)
1x06.iso -> 1x05.iso (symlink)
1x07.iso -> 1x05.iso (symlink)

The only advantage of this method is that it automatically downloads the individual images for each episode, if you care about that.

- aedile - 2009-06-15

I wouldn't bother with VOB and all of the extra steps. For the complete experience. Just convert to ISO. As you said, space is not an issue any more. I have all my files as ISO and I couldn't be happier. It's just less of a hassle (my wife even pulls copies for me). I use SlySoft AnyDVD (it has an image ripper). Never bothered beyond that because it works like a charm.

-aedile-

- Boseman - 2009-06-16

If you prefer ISO (full DVD image) style, just use DVD2ONEX2, since you already have it and output (Burn) to Image (.img), which is the Mac equivalent to ISO and is also supported by XBMC, like ISO.

- kees667 - 2009-10-07

Found out the hard way about video_ts.ifo library support. I just converted a full season to Iso and converted the naming system. Then ran update video library but in Library they still don't show up. I see the series name but zero episodes.

Folder set up as follows
TV Shows (content set to tv shows)
tv show name
Season 1
s01e04e05e06.iso

What am I doing wrong?

aedile Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows_%28Video_Library%29#Multi-part_Episodes

Not having used VIDEO_TS folders myself, I know i can get multiple episode DVD iso's recognized by naming the files correctly. For example, if the first DVD in a season had episodes 1-3, I might use the following filename:

TV Shows
- Show Name
- Season 1
- S01E01E02E03.ISO

Not exactly intuitive but XBMC seems to pick it up without an issue.