Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- DarthV - 2009-07-01

Rando Wrote:Has anyone by chance found a Canadian vendor for this puppy yet? it looks like a solid solid foundation for an XBMC box, and I'm eager to get my hands on one and play.

All kinds of places in Canada have them now, the fun part will be to find one that has them in stock.

- asrock - 2009-07-01

So, i finally managed to get sound over hdmi.

I have ubuntu 9.04 installed, and xbmc for linux/ubuntu - not the live, installed over that.

I had to set audio output device and passthrough output device to "plug:hmdi", not just "hdmi" like with the live version. The rest was just config the soundcard in ubuntu.

Smile

- poserdonut - 2009-07-01

Got the machine up and running xbmc on a minimal install of Ubuntu with 1080p@24hz and sound via spdif.

It seems to be working well, but I don't have a remote yet so can't start using the machine fully yet.

1080p24hz - lajbans - 2009-07-01

So I got latest nvidia, 185 driver installed on my asrock 330. I can adjust refresh rate it seems like but only 1080p@60hz appears.
rest of the modes start with default: 1080@24hz

Have I done something wrong, can it be some setting in xorg.conf?

The picture sometimes start green or red but fixes after some seconds when I try the default.

But running 1080p at 60hz makes dark scenes a bit pixy...

Thanks in advance.

- Giland - 2009-07-01

Im using my tv @ 1080P@60hz , and its working good.

But is the best setting 1080P@24hz ?

- Scruffie - 2009-07-02

poserdonut Wrote:Got the machine up and running xbmc on a minimal install of Ubuntu with 1080p@24hz and sound via spdif.

It seems to be working well, but I don't have a remote yet so can't start using the machine fully yet.

With this type of xbmc install do you have to manually start xbmc or will it start up automatically when the os is loaded?

- poserdonut - 2009-07-02

Scruffie Wrote:With this type of xbmc install do you have to manually start xbmc or will it start up automatically when the os is loaded?

It starts automatically.

- poserdonut - 2009-07-03

Does wake-on-usb only work on standby or should it also work when the machine is shutdown?

- mkortstiege - 2009-07-03

"wake"-on-usb, so its suspend only. There are other mods detailed on the net on how to get power-on-usb to work (required a hardware mod).

vdrfan Wrote:"wake"-on-usb, so its suspend only. There are other mods detailed on the net on how to get power-on-usb to work (required a hardware mod).

Thanks, seems like I got everything running pretty good now. Just some keymap and lircmap configing to get acces to favourites.
The remote I'm using is HFX Vista Remote Control GP

The only problem I have is that sometimes when I boot I get the XBMC splash screen but then it exits to the terminal. Since I don't have a keyboard hooked up I have to reboot the machine.

- Rando - 2009-07-03

Quote:The only problem I have is that sometimes when I boot I get the XBMC splash screen but then it exits to the terminal. Since I don't have a keyboard hooked up I have to reboot the machine.

You could look at installing SSH, that way you could SSH into the machine and issue a reboot that way (or simply launch XBMC or whatever you need/want launched)... might be an option.

Rando Wrote:You could look at installing SSH, that way you could SSH into the machine and issue a reboot that way (or simply launch XBMC or whatever you need/want launched)... might be an option.

I have ssh, pretty much all the installation steps after the install of the base system has been done via ssh but I don't consider it a very good user experience if I have to login using ssh to reboot the machine. Smile

However, can I launch xmbc from ssh to the session that presents it on the tv?

Because when I tried just running xbmc --standalone from ssh it doesn't work (logic tells me it tries to start it in my ssh session which I understand isn't going to happen).

- Rando - 2009-07-03

poserdonut Wrote:I have ssh, pretty much all the installation steps after the install of the base system has been done via ssh but I don't consider it a very good user experience if I have to login using ssh to reboot the machine. Smile

However, can I launch XBMC from ssh to the session that presents it on the tv?

Because when I tried just running xbmc --standalone from ssh it doesn't work (logic tells me it tries to start it in my ssh session which I understand isn't going to happen).

I agree 100% that having to log in from another PC and issue a reboot is not a smooth experience - but it is better for your XBMC/Linux install than simply doing a hard reboot (wasn't sure if that's what you were doing, obviously it isn't).

I think there is a way to tell XBMC to launch on a different display.... I don't know anything about that, aside that I think i've seen it in my hours of browsing on various forums over the past bunch of months.... a little digging might yield something (or perhaps someone else reading has the answer?).

I'll take a peek later when I have a bit of time, and if I can find anythign useful I'll be sure to report it back here.

Rando Wrote:I agree 100% that having to log in from another PC and issue a reboot is not a smooth experience - but it is better for your XBMC/Linux install than simply doing a hard reboot (wasn't sure if that's what you were doing, obviously it isn't).

I think there is a way to tell XBMC to launch on a different display.... I don't know anything about that, aside that I think i've seen it in my hours of browsing on various forums over the past bunch of months.... a little digging might yield something (or perhaps someone else reading has the answer?).

I'll take a peek later when I have a bit of time, and if I can find anythign useful I'll be sure to report it back here.

According to my colleague you can do something like this:
export DISPLAY:0

After this the commands you execute that requires a graphical user interface should be displayed on your monitor/tv (if that display i 0)

- seninha - 2009-07-05

Here a new Asrock ION 330+ XBMC live user (after years of using my great old Xbox+ XBMC Big Grin ) with some issues to solve.

Yesterday I installed XBMC Live (with latest Nvidia drivers already merge) and found some issues.
Asrock is connected to my TV using HDMI. (HD audio is set to enable on the Asrock BIOS)

1-When playing .MKV (HD movies) I need to set audio to DIGITAL. But if I want to play a DVD ISO or some other movie (AVI,DiVX ) then audio needs to be set to ANALOGIC.
If I dont do that the a bad stottering noise is comming out of the speakers No
If I let the audio on ANALOGIC , no sound is available when playing MKV's

2-Music is playing to fast (seems like is playing 2x faster).I tested same music on my Xboc+XBMC and they play fine.(movies and music is stored on my server and are streamed to Xbox and Asrock )
Already installed XBMC live a second time to see if this solves the problem but no luck at all.

3-I can only set the resolution to 1280x720 when connected to my Panasonic TH-42PV70 HD ready Plasma.
If I choose 1080i the image expands to much.(looks like is 1,5 times bigger then my TV screen)
Again, when I use my Xbox I can set resolution to 1080i without any problem.

Hope someone can help solve this problems.(please if you have a solution,explaint this to me the "very" easy way, there I don't have ANY linux experiance at all :o )