Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] ASRock IONSTAR 330 (NVIDIA ION) with XBMC for Linux performance and setup? (/showthread.php?tid=52460)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- Haggy - 2009-07-09

Sorry - i left the windows world years ago. Not much of a help here.

- dev_don - 2009-07-09

thanks anyway, no problem.

Does any one else Which one is best Windows Vista to use :32bit or 64 bit?

*I also plan to do a bit of light gaming*

Thanks in advance

- Haggy - 2009-07-09

well - all i know is that xbmc for 64bit linux has some problems currently. mainly the webinterface does not work and i get strange scanner issues.

that said i don't think there's any point in sticking to a 64bit OS for a more or less dedicated HTPC. It won't run any faster and you're likely to get into problems with 32bit software (though not a clue how's that on windows).

I'd go for 32bit - even if it's windows. If you have equal or less than 4GB of RAM in that box there's no point at all.

- dev_don - 2009-07-09

ok cheers mate i got 2gb ram should be enough not going to do any encoding, editing and stuff just XBMC and a few games.

thanks

- needmorstuff - 2009-07-09

lower case hdmi did the trick - thanks guys

- midjar - 2009-07-09

My lcd screen (benq) works. But when i connect my projector instead over hdmi i get nothing.

Try to dectect the display but it finds nothing.Tried manually editing xconf.org

I see the ubuntu boot screen but after that the picture's gone.

- midjar - 2009-07-09

i'll try a reinstall with ubuntu minimal

- midjar - 2009-07-09

That did it

- res0nat0r - 2009-07-10

i just got my asrock 330 earlier this week and was having this problem until earlier today (no hdmi sound).

i have no idea if this is right because i tried every combination of hdmi/hdmi default/hdmi etc type config in the audio section, but it is working every time for me now when i reboot.

1] if you are running the xbmc binary as a non root user, are you in the audio group? you wont be able to write to /dev/audio of this is not correct

2] also, i have no idea if this is normal or something strange with my setup, but i have my asrock plugged into my yamaha receiver via an hdmi cable, which then feeds to my 5.1 speakers and plasma hdtv. ive noticed that if i turn my asrock on before i turn on the receiver and then relevant hdmi input, then i will not ever get any video or audio output no matter what if i flip back and forth between inputs even after the asrock is up and ready for logins.
does the receiver have to be on to hear the initial hdmi "handshake" or something like this for it to work? i dont know if hdmi works like this or not. once i noticed this, and had my audio config set back to: hdmi / hdmi for both settings, it has worked everytime sofar today since ive done this.

anyone?

Newbie XBMC on Linux (ASRock 330 + XBMC) - cyberpark - 2009-07-10

Hello all XBMC Linux users!

Been using XBMC over many years now, from the original Xbox XBMC versions to XBMC Windows version when HD content came for full.

Just bought an ASRock 330 after reading some good reviews. This box got everything except Wireless, HDMI 1.3, IR sender and USB in front - I could live with that!

After reading alot of feedback and reviews on the experience on running XBMC on the ASRock 330 HTPC I knew I had to migrate over to the XBMC Linux build - a scary step for a Windows technocrat.
I must admit I have played a little with Linux, but not enough to feel comfortable on installing my new Digital Home Entertainment system on.. Therefore I hope I could get some answers in this forum.

Primarly functions on my HTPC:
  • Watch videos (1080p on Samsung LCD Full HD)
  • Listen to music (Spotify)

Hence some questions:
  • Can you access the Ubuntu GUI from XBMC Live? Or do I need to install Ubuntu + XBMC Linux?
  • How is it with 64-bit versions of Linux + XBMC? Do you get any benifits from running 64-bit Linux? .. or problems
  • Is it any feature to automaticly update the XBMC builds on Linux? (Like XBMCUpdate for Windows)
  • Can you install Wine (for Spotify install) on XBMC Live?
  • How do you install new skins for XBMC Live/Linux? I'm used to XBMC Windows Explorer...
  • Any other Best Practise or recommandations?

It would be great to get some constructive answers (except "Google-is-your-friend" replies Smile)
Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work in the XBMC Community.

- Haggy - 2009-07-10

cyberpark Wrote:Hence some questions:
  • Can you access the Ubuntu GUI from XBMC Live? Or do I need to install Ubuntu + XBMC Linux?
    You can install anything you like and access it - it's just Ubuntu underneath
  • How is it with 64-bit versions of Linux + XBMC? Do you get any benifits from running 64-bit Linux? .. or problems
    Problems and completely pointless on a htpc with <= 4GB RAM
  • Is it any feature to automaticly update the XBMC builds on Linux? (Like XBMCUpdate for Windows)
    There's a script that can use aptitude for system updates - that should update xbmc as well i suppose
  • Can you install Wine (for Spotify install) on XBMC Live?
    See 1)
  • How do you install new skins for XBMC Live/Linux? I'm used to XBMC Windows Explorer...
    You copy them to your skinfolder or use the repo installer from within xbmc
  • Any other Best Practise or recommandations?
    Use the search - everything has been covered before.

- User 28110 - 2009-07-11

Quick question not trying to hijack the threadBig Grin

What site in the USA can you buy the Asrock,Nod

Thanks
AJ

- res0nat0r - 2009-07-11

i used this: http://www.ncixus.com/

it is actually a canadian company, but with the exchange rate i got this for 380$ w/ shipping Smile

- User 28110 - 2009-07-11

res0nat0r Wrote:i used this: http://www.ncixus.com/

it is actually a canadian company, but with the exchange rate i got this for 380$ w/ shipping Smile

Thanks was it this one?

http://www.ncixus.com/products/40737/ION%20330/ASRock/

- seninha - 2009-07-11

Maybee you guys can help me out here.

System is running with XBMC live (Latest Nvidia drivers already installed) on my SSD.
DVD's, AVI and the rest are working fine.

The problem is HD material.
Tonight I tried to watch my first HD movie but it doesn't play smooth.
It looks like the image shortly stops and the goes fast to the present image,this happends all the time.
It's so bad that I just stopped watching it.
I tested on my normal system (Windows Vista,Intel E8400,ATI 4870) and then it plays normal (CPU is about 25%)

Here some info about the movie I want to play:

Format : Matroska
File size : 3,97 GiB
Duration : 2h 1mn
Overall bit rate : 4 677 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-07-06 14:58:08
Writing application : MKVMaker.exe
Writing library : Haali DirectShow Matroska Muxer 1.7.401.3

Video
ID : 2
Format : VC-1
Codec ID : WVC1
Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
Bit rate : 3 816 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23,976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.229
Stream size : 3,24 GiB (82%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : WMA3
Codec ID : 162
Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio 3
Bit rate : 768 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 kanalen
Sampling rate : 48,0 KHz
Resolution : 24 bits
Stream size : 667 MiB (16%)

System is of course the Asrock ION 330 with 32gb SSD drive and 2gb memory.
GPU RAM is set to 512mb
XBMC 9.04.1 is the version I use.

render methode is set to :VDPAU
Adjust refres rate: ON
High qua.soft upscalling : OFF

TV that I play the movie on is a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PV70FA (no 24fp)
Resolution I use is: 1280x720

Can someone help me solve this problem?
I really would like to use the system where I bought it for,watch HD movies