Kodi Community Forum
ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: ShowMix 2.1 - New LowList (/showthread.php?tid=52755)

- azido - 2009-10-23

1. current version ist 2.1 (Git 455)

2. the downloadbutton on github for some reason points to an archive instead of the master branch. that's why you will get 1.71 there.

3. either use the git gui or the git bash to get the recent version. use this general howto for usage of either bash or gui and replace adress with git://github.com/andyblac/aeon.git

Until we get that sorted (mainly andy has to look into it) don't use the download button on github.

- patkhoo - 2009-10-23

azido Wrote:1. current version ist 2.1 (Git 455)

2. the downloadbutton on github for some reason points to an archive instead of the master branch. that's why you will get 1.71 there.

3. either use the git gui or the git bash to get the recent version. use this general howto for usage of either bash or gui and replace adress with git://github.com/andyblac/aeon.git

Until we get that sorted (mainly andy has to look into it) don't use the download button on github.

3b. Use the Aeon Skin Download/Install/Update script

- azido - 2009-10-23

patkhoo Wrote:3b. Use the Aeon Skin Download/Install/Update script

damned.

i constantly ignore your script because i'm too lazy to add it. does someone see the conflict?

Wink

- patkhoo - 2009-10-23

azido Wrote:damned.

i constantly ignore your script because i'm too lazy to add it. does someone see the conflict?

Wink

Sigh, now I know why only the hard working ones use a script designed to make life easier/lazier.. Laugh

- soder - 2009-10-23

patkhoo Wrote:Sigh, now I know why only the hard working ones use a script designed to make life easier/lazier.. Laugh

I don't understand why a script would be easier than the git hub program? =)

/Söder

- patkhoo - 2009-10-23

soder Wrote:I don't understand why a script would be easier than the git hub program? =)

/Söder

Well,
1. Download and unpack one package
2. edit a config file, choose Aeon Showmix/hitcher/Auriga/Phil65/or all of them
3. then double-click script to run it
4. To update skin in future, just run it again

vs

1. download and install git
2. open git bash
3. cd to your xbmc skin folder
4. git clone --depth 1 git://github....
5. Download fonts, put them into correct folder inside aeon showmix/auriga/...
6. future update, go to git bash again and go to your skin folder
7. git pull
8. if something went wrong, delete skin and go back to step 4 (azido's fav support reply - clone it again)

But hey, everyone has their preferred methods, and the script is meant for newbies. Experts like Azido/Soder/etc are expected to be able to type git commands blindfolded... Wink

- TheSwede1970 - 2009-10-23

soder Wrote:I don't understand why a script would be easier than the git hub program? =)

/Söder

Doubleclick once to get updates on all 4 mods of Aeon + XBMC, I see that EASILY compared to git hub prog Nerd

Damnit patkhoo you replied quick - YAY for your script, should be the default no1 option. Please encourage members to use.

- azido - 2009-10-23

patkhoo Wrote:1. download and install git
2. open git bash

open windows explorer, move to skin dir, right click to open context and choose "git bash here" Wink

patkhoo Wrote:(azido's fav support reply - clone it again)

not true. my fav reply is "read the fucking wiki and get out of my way."

- azido - 2009-10-23

TheSwede1970 Wrote:Doubleclick once to get updates on all 4 mods of Aeon + XBMC, I see that EASILY compared to git hub prog Nerd

Damnit patkhoo you replied quick - YAY for your script, should be the default no1 option. Please encourage members to use.

you are using all four of them? phew. Smile

okok i WILL add it as an option to the wiki. promised.

- patkhoo - 2009-10-23

azido Wrote:open windows explorer, move to skin dir, right click to open context and choose "git bash here" Wink

True.. With Explorer Extensions.

Anyway, they key is always typing in the git commands, and if git pull has problems, a full clone is best. I've explained before the reason why git pull is actually not the best option for those who want an "SVN-like" distribution due to merge conflicts (which can happen fairly regularly with large changes in Git).

Even the Wiki admits this:
Quote:Note: sometimes it happens that andy committed more than one update to a file to github, and you did not receive the version(s) in between. This will cause your local copy of that file to become outdated (or be seen as modified) and so it will not pull updates at all when it finds that. you will get a prompt similar to this:

"error: Entry '720p/Home.xml' not uptodate. Cannot merge."

In case you've modified that file on your own, rename it to "home-myversion.xml" or something like that, if you did not change anything simply remove the file in question.

git pull again and it will show you the next file it doesn't like (doh!) or just start pulling the updates.

Surely that last line about "git pull again and it will show you the next file it doesn't like (doh!) or just start pulling the updates." is a nightmare for many.
1. git pull
2. see which file it doesn't like, delete it
3. repeat steps 1 and 2 until git pull works ok with no errors
I know it was for me, which is why I wrote the script in the first place.

azido Wrote:not true. my fav reply is "read the fucking wiki and get out of my way."

OK, yes, quite right Smile but that's only because there is a Wiki now.. there wasn't always a wiki Smile

- patkhoo - 2009-10-23

TheSwede1970 Wrote:Doubleclick once to get updates on all 4 mods of Aeon + XBMC, I see that EASILY compared to git hub prog Nerd

Thanks for the appreciation.. Glad you find it useful.. Big Grin

- patkhoo - 2009-10-23

azido Wrote:okok i WILL add it as an option to the wiki. promised.

You the boss! Big Grin My only interest is that it is helpful to users, especially those who are not as familiar with git/bash/etc etc as some of us are.

I think we should all remember that some of us may be more (technically) competent than others, but we should always strive to help those who need our help wherever we can.

Like Matt (Azido) has been answering many questions for many people, I hope others will do so as well. I don't have as much time to spend on these forums, so the script is my contribution. I hope it is helpful to others.

- azido - 2009-10-23

patkhoo Wrote:You the boss! Big Grin My only interest is that it is helpful to users, especially those who are not as familiar with git/bash/etc etc as some of us are.

I think we should all remember that some of us may be more (technically) competent than others, but we should always strive to help those who need our help wherever we can.

Like Matt (Azido) has been answering many questions for many people, I hope others will do so as well. I don't have as much time to spend on these forums, so the script is my contribution. I hope it is helpful to others.

and now it's added to the wiki as an "official" download method Wink

- patkhoo - 2009-10-23

azido Wrote:and now it's added to the wiki as an "official" download method Wink

Goddamit!! How do you work so damned fast!!!

I would like to lodge a formal complaint that the speed of response from ppl like Azido is making everyone else look bad!

Rofl

OK, but seriously, I do hope others on this thread really will contribute their time to help answer questions from each other or in any way that can help make life easier for users and developers. This is a community, and the community only works when we help each other.

- soder - 2009-10-23

patkhoo Wrote:Well,
1. Download and unpack one package
2. edit a config file, choose Aeon Showmix/hitcher/Auriga/Phil65/or all of them
3. then double-click script to run it
4. To update skin in future, just run it again

vs

1. download and install git
2. open git bash
4. git clone --depth 1 git://github....
5. Download fonts, put them into correct folder inside aeon showmix/auriga/...
6. future update, go to git bash again and go to your skin folder
7. git pull
8. if something went wrong, delete skin and go back to step 4 (azido's fav support reply - clone it again)

But hey, everyone has their preferred methods, and the script is meant for newbies. Experts like Azido/Soder/etc are expected to be able to type git commands blindfolded... Wink

Hehe... why dont to add all the "change dirs in your OS" in the first example? =)

/Söder