Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion Gen2 - Manage your Movies, Shows, NFO, and more (Open Source VB.NET) (/showthread.php?tid=53640)

Now I know why I need a fast cpu, large mem, and multi-screens - PatK - 2010-10-19

I'm not sure about these media helpers... I always end up with a web page open to grab images from google, a text/xml editor to look inside info's to get the IMDB number, the actual folder open, XBMC to test and re-scan if needed, a renaming tool, thumb manipulator and of course the mandatory multiple web pages searching for background material to pour into the .nfo

In the main, for common movies... automated software does the job, but for ~10% it's grunt work, odd ball foreign films, documentaries, one off TV shows, Nova, Discovery, PBS, Travel stuff.. not to mention sports et on. When you're dealing with 1000's of iles... 10% is a lot of time... well I don't begrudge that, it's a labour of love as they say.

The issue I have is the none of these 'easy' to use programs seem to have any safety net before they write all over stuff you've hand done or an undo. I've searched out and pasted the fanart for Vitelloni (fellini) countless times.. because these programs just delete it in a scan. Not to mention all the stuff that should scan under TV but can be found under movies too... and of course switching sides kills the previous scan along with all the data. Then there's the beta nature of software underdevelopment, what you thought you had on a scan.. sometimes isn't what got put in XBMC cache.... Last night I put 50 movies into the [offline] dir only to find to-day all the names, dates and genre are missing.. thank-fully the plot's stayed.

Now I have to get some program that can make an .avi place card in a movie folder so I can delete the movie[offline] without re-scanning stuff I already have... and my desktop is getting crowded.

Can someone make this easier...

- 0rca - 2010-10-20

Hi there,

I've been using MC on and off and decided to give it another go. But there are a few things I don't get, maybe someone here can help me out.

Where and how do I tell MC which language to use for MOVIE titles. Right now it scrapes movies with English titled file names and then gives me German titles, which I don't want. How do I change that behaviour?

Secondly, where or how can I change the scraper behaviour with regards to the filename? Could I use regular expression like under TV shows? I have a certain file naming structure and am not going to change it (2000+ movies). Right now MC seems to throw the whole file name at IMDB and more often than not can't identify the movie. The movie titles are very accurate though, I just add some information about resolution and language in the end. How could I improve MCs behaviour here?

Thanks in advance

- bencorn - 2010-10-20

@0rca
I have the resolution and year at the end of all my filenames and it has never caused an issue. Can you post what your naming format is, with an example, so others might be able to give suggestions.

- 0rca - 2010-10-20

It is

Movie Title (US) 1080p.xxx

where the expression in the brackets is the originating country (I watch a lot of asian movies and like to keep track of where they are from).

For German movies I mostly don't use the country code, so there it would simply be

Movie Title 1080p.xxx

Writing this I realize, that there's no seperator before the res. is that my prob?
If so, what seperator are ok to use?

- Death-Axe - 2010-10-27

Can I request a feature?

This is for the movie section. Would it be possible for a sub menu or popup to choose to use one of the alternative titles for the movie?

For example; my HK, Japanese, Korean movies etc all scrape with their original foreign titles. It would be nice to have a selection screen to select the European/American names for the movies as then I can find the movie in my movie lib without having to look it up on imdb to find the title.

or does this feature exist already?

- billyad2000 - 2010-10-27

Death-Axe Wrote:Can I request a feature?

This is for the movie section. Would it be possible for a sub menu or popup to choose to use one of the alternative titles for the movie?

For example; my HK, Japanese, Korean movies etc all scrape with their original foreign titles. It would be nice to have a selection screen to select the European/American names for the movies as then I can find the movie in my movie lib without having to look it up on imdb to find the title.

or does this feature exist already?

Yes it already exists.

After you have added a movie, all alternative titles are available by using the drop down box that displays the title on the main movie panel.

After selecting click save to make the change permanent.

- Death-Axe - 2010-10-27

Ohhh thanks!

another question. With movies with more than one part (like split into cd1 and 2 etc) I have them named as moviename p1.avi moviename p2.avi.

How do I stop it from scanning both as seperate movies? I have the option ticked to use folder names, so how come it's not using the format movie.nfo instead of using the file name.nfo? is there an option to fix this?

thanks. great app apart from these odd things.

- vbat99 - 2010-10-27

Hey Death-Axe

Mentioned on Billy's site is the following for split movie naming convention.
Quote:Split movies
Certain movies may be split for whatever reason and stacked for the purpose of display in the XBMC GUI. There are several examples in the wild:
MovieName CD#.ext
MovieName Part#.ext
MovieName Disc#.ext
MovieName pt#.ext

From this page:
Quick Guide to movie Filenaming

Hope this is of help.

Rob

- Death-Axe - 2010-10-27

Thanks for the renaming guide. I am having another problem. I added my movie folders and all, and at the bottom it says its scraping movie xx of xxx. This keeps getting stuck! I close the app, open it again and VERY slowly it starts scanning again and sometimes gets past the previous number... and gets stuck again.

Also rescraping movies takes AGES or sometimes... gets stuck.

And after rescraping doesn't display the movie just 2 brackets.

Help?

- Rocky5 - 2010-10-28

could you add an option to resize Thumbs as I use 480x720 for all thumbs and right now I have to use a batch file and jpegsize to resize them Sad

also an option to force resize to so if an thumb is smaller its upscaled to the selected rez.

also thumbs named * CD1 don't get detected.

- Death-Axe - 2010-10-29

Is there a way to not have it scan folders inside individual movie folders? on my star treks I have a folder named extras and it's scanning it in even though its a sub folder.

TV music themes - pko66 - 2010-10-29

Hello!

Great program, I use it every day (for TV shows only, since for movies I need to use an spanish scraper to find the correct movie using the spanish-translated title).

It would be great if MC could download the theme.mp3 file with the theme music for the tv show (for using with this addon). Also, support for extrafanart would be great.

But in any case, thank you very much for this truly useful software.

- Abe87 - 2010-11-02

I was wondering if you were planning on adding to the html output? This is a great feature but it would be nice to have some more options like trailer url. Also, will there ever be html output for tv shows? Thanks.

- Ranger Rob - 2010-11-03

Death-Axe Wrote:Thanks for the renaming guide. I am having another problem. I added my movie folders and all, and at the bottom it says its scraping movie xx of xxx. This keeps getting stuck! I close the app, open it again and VERY slowly it starts scanning again and sometimes gets past the previous number... and gets stuck again.

Also rescraping movies takes AGES or sometimes... gets stuck.

And after rescraping doesn't display the movie just 2 brackets.

Help?

I am having the same problem on 3.400

Where is Billy? - greybeard - 2010-11-18

It looks like Billy's last post here was 1/26/2010, and about the same time on his own forum, when he announced 3.400. Has something happened to him or is he just busy?
XSxc