Kodi Community Forum
Working Solution: 720p/HD movies on your XBOX (using DiVX) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Forum: First-generation XBOX support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=158)
+--- Thread: Working Solution: 720p/HD movies on your XBOX (using DiVX) (/showthread.php?tid=53741)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- funkytown - 2009-07-01

PrimusZa1 Wrote:The test clip is a direct clip (non renecoded) from the source H264 MKV with 5.1 so it makes a good test subject so far. I also pass thru to an external audio decoder for the audio. I did a complete encode of the Full movie downsizing it to 960 X 544 using your 960 cli and so far it looks great compared to the Xvid copy I just did before you posted about the Xvid problems with CBR. I will be doing a complete play thru to see if I drop frames though I think from what I saw it should be ok. (max cpu with test clip was 97%) I will do a run through with your 1280 CLI and let you know how it goes on the other 1280 16/9 videos I have. Hopefully we are getting close to the "sweet spot" Keep up the great work!

Ok, i am just downloading your sample clip. I will post my results later.

- PrimusZa1 - 2009-07-01

funkytown , is there a reason you removed the "-quantization=3" line in your newest CLI's?

Update:
Ok found out my reading further. that would be the removal of the Mpeg2 opimizations to the h263

- funkytown - 2009-07-01

PrimusZa1 Wrote:funkytown , is there a reason you removed the "-quantization=3" line in your newest CLI's?

Yes. Quantization=3 set the quantization to be mpeg-2. Now, i am suspecting mpeg-2 to be less strict in terms of max. bitrate. By removing that switch, DiVX will use h.263 quantization (which is the default anyway).

- PrimusZa1 - 2009-07-01

funkytown Wrote:Yes. Quantization=3 set the quantization to be mpeg-2. Now, i am suspecting mpeg-2 to be less strict in terms of max. bitrate. By removing that switch, DiVX will use h.263 quantization (which is the default anyway).

LOL yeah I was just updating my last reply as you were replying
Big Grin

Thanks for the response!

- funkytown - 2009-07-01

PrimusZa1 Wrote:The test clip is a direct clip (non renecoded) from the source H264 MKV with 5.1 so it makes a good test subject so far. I also pass thru to an external audio decoder for the audio. I did a complete encode of the Full movie downsizing it to 960 X 544 using your 960 cli and so far it looks great compared to the Xvid copy I just did before you posted about the Xvid problems with CBR. I will be doing a complete play thru to see if I drop frames though I think from what I saw it should be ok. (max cpu with test clip was 97%) I will do a run through with your 1280 CLI and let you know how it goes on the other 1280 16/9 videos I have. Hopefully we are getting close to the "sweet spot" Keep up the great work!

I have just encoded your test-clip with my new settings at 1280x720 and the result is:

No dropped frames (to be correct it says 4, but within 2 minutes so i dont care)

- willers.nail - 2009-07-01

I'm getting this message when opening the source file "Error opening index file D:\Documents and Settings\William\Local Settings\Application Data\StaxRip\Applications\DGAVCIndex\%working_dir%\Dirty Dancing Test Clip-001.dga".

Pretty sure I was getting some message about an application being to recent and then this message appeared straight after. Now I only get this message all the time when trying to open anything. Any idea?

- Oldie - 2009-07-02

willers.nail Wrote:I'm getting this message when opening the source file "Error opening index file D:\Documents and Settings\William\Local Settings\Application Data\StaxRip\Applications\DGAVCIndex\%working_dir%\Dirty Dancing Test Clip-001.dga".

Pretty sure I was getting some message about an application being to recent and then this message appeared straight after. Now I only get this message all the time when trying to open anything. Any idea?

I had that same problem, never could figure it out. Downloaded 1.1.0.1 version of Staxrip and that worked.

- jwdv22 - 2009-07-02

I don't have Pro, but I followed your settings and I am still getting dropped frames, and enough of them to care. 140 dropped frames in one action scene. The rest of the encode looks great. Here is the final settings

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\IronMan\IronMan5.1HD.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 245 MiB
Duration : 5mn 27s
Overall bit rate : 6 283 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2540/release

Video
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Bit rate : 5 634 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.255
Stream size : 220 MiB (90%)
Writing library : DivX 2816

Audio
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 25.0 MiB (10%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

** I cracked it to get Pro features
Still choppy... Damn it

- willers.nail - 2009-07-02

Oldie Wrote:I had that same problem, never could figure it out. Downloaded 1.1.0.1 version of Staxrip and that worked.

Any chance you could upload that version for me because I cant seem to download it anywhere on the net?

- funkytown - 2009-07-02

willers.nail Wrote:Any chance you could upload that version for me because I cant seem to download it anywhere on the net?

I just uploaded a new installation package with staxrip beta and the necessary tools here.
Please try that one!

- funkytown - 2009-07-02

jwdv22 Wrote:I don't have Pro, but I followed your settings and I am still getting dropped frames, and enough of them to care. 140 dropped frames in one action scene. The rest of the encode looks great. Here is the final settings

Could you by any chance upload the source clip of the action scene only so i can verify?

Or at least could you make a bitrate graph of the encoded clip and put the screenshot here using this tool ?

- buges - 2009-07-03

Yep im getting alot of dropped frames aswell when there's alot of stuff on screen. The only thing i didnt do was re-encode the audio, so it was still the original 384kps ac3. but that should'nt make any diiference should it?

- funkytown - 2009-07-03

buges Wrote:Yep im getting alot of dropped frames aswell when there's alot of stuff on screen. The only thing i didnt do was re-encode the audio, so it was still the original 384kps ac3. but that should'nt make any diiference should it?

It shouldnt as long you have the audio decoded by an external dolby/dts decoder. If you play the audio straight from the xbox you have to lower the bitrates (around 10%). As i mentioned my bitrate values assume that you have an audio-decoder attached.

- solibra - 2009-07-04

Excellent guide! i have encoded three blu-rays in 1280x720 resolution and they play without frame-droping. Quality is very good.

I uploaded a sample clip of an action scene encoded in DiVX with the settings provided here. It plays smoothly on my xbox when opened with dvdplayer (not mplayer): CHECK IT OUT Big Grin

- jwdv22 - 2009-07-06

funkytown Wrote:It shouldnt as long you have the audio decoded by an external dolby/dts decoder. If you play the audio straight from the xbox you have to lower the bitrates (around 10%). As i mentioned my bitrate values assume that you have an audio-decoder attached.

Sorry, but I am definitely not an audio guy. What does this mean?

Does this mean that I need to have my XBOX hooked to a receiver to get this to work? I want to have the file in 5.1 because I have a surround sound system that I will be setting up downstairs, but when I watch it upstairs I only have the TV speakers thru Component cables. How do I have the audio passed on to be decoded by the TV instead of the XBOX?

Also I see your updated instructions have 1080 values. Does this mean those are the suggested resolutions and bitrates to use if your source is 1080? Could that be why my initial tests with your old settings were getting dropped frames? I am running a couple of tests right now, without touching the audio. One test is taking the 1080p and going to 720p 1280x720 and the other is using your 1080p 960 resolution because it is high action.