Kodi Community Forum
Working Solution: 720p/HD movies on your XBOX (using DiVX) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Forum: First-generation XBOX support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=158)
+--- Thread: Working Solution: 720p/HD movies on your XBOX (using DiVX) (/showthread.php?tid=53741)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- pulck - 2010-01-07

funkytown Wrote:Pulck, you encoded your movie with the XViD codec (mencoder doesnt support DiVX)!
The point of my guide is to use the DIVX.COM codec and not XViD, because DiVX doesnt peak over the max. bitrate while XViD does this a lot.

Ah, okay! I'd thought 'vcodec=mpeg4' was DivX.

Are there any other options on Linux. FFmpeg? I'm finding Linux seriously limited in the encoding department.

- Burra - 2010-01-18

I downloaded the latest version of Staxrip which is now V1.1.3 and there have been some major changes Huh to the layout and menus from when the OP wrote the guide.

Can anybody help with a rewritten process or hints on what settings to use? I really got lost in the menu's as nothing seemed similar to the original guide.

The other option is to download an earlier version I guess.

Thanks.

- funkytown - 2010-01-20

@Burra

The layout of the menus may have changed, but the guide still works 100% with the current staxrip version.

- antigravity - 2010-01-21

Unfortunately I wasn't able to play 720P using the settings in the original post.

My XBOX decodes audio, so I reduced the figures in the command line by 15% and still experienced major stuttering, so I'm trying again, this time with the figures reduced by 25%. I'm just worried that by reducing them so far, I'm going to lose video quality.

Funnily enough, the Star Trek trailer posted earlier in the thread works fine. So maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Here is the command line with the 75% reduction in bitrates:

-bv1q 2 -vbv 4483800,2899968,2899968 -dir "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\DivX\DivX Codec" -pq 7670 -b 1 -profile=4 -thread_delay=1

Using DivX Pro v6.8, using VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubMod, original video is 720P (1280x720) so I'm using the 1280x720 bitrates in the table...

A bit lost.

Will try the 75% reduced video file now.

EDIT// Just checked and my output files are still MKV's... is this a problem? As I noticed the StarTrek trailer is purely a DIVX file.

- antigravity - 2010-01-21

Just played the 75% bitrate file (30 minute TV program) and i experienced noticeable stuttering on two occassions. The rest was fine.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

- Drastus - 2010-01-21

Would someone clear this up for me. If you need to lower the maximum bitrate of your file do you just change the value in advanced settings by picking one of the presets ,and then altering where it says max bitrate.

I thought I followed the steps properly, but at the end of the process I get this message
Quote:Operation failed!

x264 failed with exit code -1

x264 [error]: could not open output file `<target>'

StaxRip.ErrorAbortException: x264 failed with exit code -1

at StaxRip.H264CmdlEncoder.Encode(String passName, String exe, String args, Boolean isErrorStream, String[] logValuesToSkip)
at StaxRip.x264Encoder.Encode()
at StaxRip.MainForm.Encode()
at StaxRip.MainForm.RunJobs()

Does anybody know what that means?

I now get this error at the beginning of the project as well,and would really appreciate some help figuring out what's wrong.

Quote:Operation failed!

x264 failed with exit code -1

StaxRip.ErrorAbortException: x264 failed with exit code -1

at StaxRip.H264CmdlEncoder.Encode(String passName, String exe, String args, Boolean isErrorStream, String[] logValuesToSkip)
at StaxRip.x264Encoder.Encode()
at StaxRip.MainForm.Encode()
at StaxRip.MainForm.RunJobs()

Solved the problem Staxrip apparently doesn't like to convert things located in folders. At least that's the only thing I changed, and it hasn't happened again.

- funkytown - 2010-01-24

antigravity Wrote:Just played the 75% bitrate file (30 minute TV program) and i experienced noticeable stuttering on two occassions. The rest was fine.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

If you need to have your xbox do the audio decoding you should definitly reencode the audio track from 5.1 ac3/aac/dts to a stereo ac3 file.

This should fix your stuttering issues and you can use the bitrate values from my guide.

Cheers

Audio Video out of sync - rashid420 - 2010-01-25

Sorry guys, with Staxrip I have always got audio video sync issues. That's why I use xvid4psp. I do think staxrip gives better quality, but if it creates sound issues, it is irrelevant.

If someone knows something I might be doing wrong, please let me know.

- Drastus - 2010-01-28

No one will probably reply ,but I though I would try anyway. How do you really use VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubmod?

I've done the obvious clicked the option, and I added VirtualDub to the applications section of staxrip in it's own folder just like every other application ,but it still uses VirtualDubmod every time.

How has everyone else been able to get this to work?

A reply would be nice.

lol Ok I figured it out, there is no support for VirtualDub in the newer versions of staxrip he just never took out the option.

So I think the opening instruction should be amended considering this.

- funkytown - 2010-01-31

Quote:lol Ok I figured it out, there is no support for VirtualDub in the newer versions of staxrip he just never took out the option.

@Drastus
Thanks for the hint - i can confirm staxrip doesnt support virtualdub anymore.i havent had any problems converting with the default virtualdubmod though.

- TheObo - 2010-03-23

Burra Wrote:I downloaded the latest version of Staxrip which is now V1.1.3 and there have been some major changes Huh to the layout and menus from when the OP wrote the guide.

Can anybody help with a rewritten process or hints on what settings to use? I really got lost in the menu's as nothing seemed similar to the original guide.

The other option is to download an earlier version I guess.

Thanks.

I gotta agree!
I downloaded StaxRip 1.1.5.2 beta and it is completely DIFFERENT!
Any chance of an updated guide? pleeeease!

EDIT: Just noticed that DicXPlus was chosen by default - changing it to DivX gives the options in the guide - not obvious that this is a changable option tho!

- antigravity - 2010-03-29

funkytown Wrote:If you need to have your xbox do the audio decoding you should definitly reencode the audio track from 5.1 ac3/aac/dts to a stereo ac3 file.

This should fix your stuttering issues and you can use the bitrate values from my guide.

Cheers

Thanks for the support - I have been changing the audio to MP3 - so would assume it's already at stereo?

- basscadet - 2010-04-12

TheObo Wrote:I gotta agree!
I downloaded StaxRip 1.1.5.2 beta and it is completely DIFFERENT!
Any chance of an updated guide? pleeeease!

gah! same problem here! StaxRip is all changed now (and DivX has moved to v.8)...

Boarders and file size - Hybridtech - 2010-04-13

Hi i have just done Ironman with great results using the latest staxrip and divx package the only problem iv come across is the boarders have apeared, on the final result the original mkv file was 1280X528 and i used the 1280X720 settings as recomended also the finished avi file has come out at 4.36gb and im trying to build a movie archive for the original xbox what is the file limit again i think it's 4gb and help would be great.

Regards Hybrid Huh

- Drastus - 2010-04-13

basscadet Wrote:gah! same problem here! StaxRip is all changed now (and DivX has moved to v.8)...

What are your problems exactly? Even though staxrip has changed the method still remains basically the same. Just click on the codec choose divx(this is located across from the container choice),click on Codec Configuration,click on advanced settings, pick the setting you want to use, press load selected setting, and then press OK. For audio just change to a stereo encode e.g. mp3 or AC3 if you don't have a surround sound setup. The only other thing to change is your container from .avi too .mkv.

Hybridtech Wrote:Hi i have just done Ironman with great results using the latest staxrip and divx package the only problem iv come across is the boarders have apeared, on the final result the original mkv file was 1280X528 and i used the 1280X720 settings as recomended also the finished avi file has come out at 4.36gb and im trying to build a movie archive for the original xbox what is the file limit again i think it's 4gb and help would be great.

Regards Hybrid Huh

I think I may be a little confused with your problems,but I'll try anyway. The borders are just naturally in most movies ,so the program wasn't supposed to remove them.
Did you choose to make the movie a .mkv if so you can split the movie into two different parts with mkvmerge.

Directions for splitting a .mkv:
1. Open mkvmerge from the tools>launch section of staxrip
2. Place your .mkv in mkvmerge
3. Go to Global Settings and pick enable splitting
4. Pick either after this size or after this duration
5. Pick Max number of files
6. Press Start Muxing

So as a example if I wanted to split your Iron Man movie in half to watch on the xbox I would just set after this size at 2180M and Max number of files two. Then just burn the individual files to two different disks and you should be fine.