Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- Qooop - 2009-12-02

BennyB Wrote:Hi Galleren,

Did you have any luck with this as I'm getting the same issue. I've tried changing all the boot=cd to boot=usb within the syslinux.cfg file but no luck.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Ben

Have you tried the Camelot Beta-1 yet?

It solves some install issues similar to what you describe.

http://xbmc.org/download/

- Qooop - 2009-12-02

stefimke Wrote:Any ideas on what playback settings to use in XBMC 9.11Beta1?

Whenever I enable any of the new settings I get stuttering video playback, even SD-stuff:
* adjust display refresh rate to match video
* sync playback to display

I was hoping these settings would finally resolve the light stuttering I was experiencing with some HD movies, but now it seems to be even worse.

Render Method VDPAU
(UNCHECKED) adjust display refresh rate to match video
(UNCHECKED) sync playback to display

Using wired connection.

Did you set the bios Advanced Chipset Features menu iGPU Frame Buffer Detect to Manual and the memory to 256?

- arkainus - 2009-12-02

Hi all,

New to the forums and been a loooooooooooong time since I've used xbmc (since the old xbox mod scene). The article on life-hacker inspired me to check out the scene again. I recently purchased an acer aspire revo r1600 as per the article. I notice at least one new distro has been released since that article. I have not tried to install xbmc yet (all I've done so far is image the stock drive that comes with the machine)

Would anybody mind telling me if the article is still valid with the new release? If not, could someone possibly post (or PM me) the steps one would take to install the newest distro on the acer? Will the acer in fact play 1080p content without stuttering? Am I better off sticking the distro that was mentioned in the article? If I stick with that version, are the plugins/skins/etc still going to work with the old version or would I be SOL? Also, since I am a complete newb when it comes to this maybe some people can shout out some of their favorite plug-ins/scripts/skins for xbmc?

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide, I greatly appreciate it!

- Qooop - 2009-12-02

arkainus Wrote:Hi all,

New to the forums and been a loooooooooooong time since I've used xbmc (since the old xbox mod scene). The article on life-hacker inspired me to check out the scene again. I recently purchased an acer aspire revo r1600 as per the article. I notice at least one new distro has been released since that article. I have not tried to install xbmc yet (all I've done so far is image the stock drive that comes with the machine)

Would anybody mind telling me if the article is still valid with the new release? If not, could someone possibly post (or PM me) the steps one would take to install the newest distro on the acer? Will the acer in fact play 1080p content without stuttering? Am I better off sticking the distro that was mentioned in the article? If I stick with that version, are the plugins/skins/etc still going to work with the old version or would I be SOL? Also, since I am a complete newb when it comes to this maybe some people can shout out some of their favorite plug-ins/scripts/skins for xbmc?

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide, I greatly appreciate it!

Works great with the Camelot Live Beta-1. No stutter at all with stock 1GB RAM streaming over network. I have had no problem with stutter with any of the MakeMKV BR rips, some coming in at 40GB.

The Beta-1 comes with the Repo Installer which connects online to a repository of plug-ins and scripts so you no longer have to find them and intstall yourself. My favorite is Apple Movie Trailers and Youtube Movie Trailers. The new stock skin is very nice.

- arkainus - 2009-12-03

Qooop Wrote:Works great with the Camelot Live Beta-1. No stutter at all with stock 1GB RAM streaming over network. I have had no problem with stutter with any of the MakeMKV BR rips, some coming in at 40GB.

The Beta-1 comes with the Repo Installer which connects online to a repository of plug-ins and scripts so you no longer have to find them and intstall yourself. My favorite is Apple Movie Trailers and Youtube Movie Trailers. The new stock skin is very nice.

Thank you so much for your reply! I went ahead and installed the older version mentioned in the article and play around with it, familliarize myself, but now that I have confirmation Beta-1 works I will give that a try.

Incidentally, have you tried the navi-x plugin? Since reading up on plugins, that one has gotten me very excited to try it out.

- anthonyb1985 - 2009-12-03

Has anyone been able to successfully install Live 9.11 b1 on a partition?

Curious as to the steps. I tried guided partitioning but it fails. Went into windows and created a logical partition but cant figure out how to tell xbmc to install to it.

Edit: Nevermind

- tvdb-scott - 2009-12-04

So, I'm looking at getting a Revo and have 2 questions:
1. Is the extra 1GB of ram necessary for HD playback, or just recommended?
2. I only have component inputs until I get my project later this winter. Can it output to component using the VGA port and an adapter or should I wait for now?

Thanks to anyone that can help. Wink

- Qooop - 2009-12-04

szsori Wrote:So, I'm looking at getting a Revo and have 2 questions:
2. I only have component inputs until I get my project later this winter. Can it output to component using the VGA port and an adapter or should I wait for now?

For the Live version the stock 1GB RAM is fine. I am pretty sure I have used the VGA port to connect to a monitor, but not positive.

- Qooop - 2009-12-04

arkainus Wrote:Thank you so much for your reply! I went ahead and installed the older version mentioned in the article and play around with it, familliarize myself, but now that I have confirmation Beta-1 works I will give that a try.

Incidentally, have you tried the navi-x plugin? Since reading up on plugins, that one has gotten me very excited to try it out.

I don't know what it is but will look into it. The Repo installer is great but I can't find XBMC Lyrics yet.

- arkainus - 2009-12-04

szsori Wrote:So, I'm looking at getting a Revo and have 2 questions:

I've been switching between the vga and hdmi port. If you use the vga you are going to have to use the headphone jack to do audio out, but other than that I haven't ran into any problems.

- arkainus - 2009-12-04

Qooop Wrote:I don't know what it is but will look into it. The Repo installer is great but I can't find XBMC Lyrics yet.

I saw the xbox lyrics in one of the repositories I thought... when I get home I'lll see if I can find it again.

- tvdb-scott - 2009-12-04

arkainus Wrote:I've been switching between the vga and hdmi port. If you use the vga you are going to have to use the headphone jack to do audio out, but other than that I haven't ran into any problems.

Thanks for the info. Are you just doing VGA to a monitor, or have you gotten VGA to composite or component working? I really need VGA to component working in order to use with my Mitsubishi 48", at least until I get my Optoma HD20. Smile

- Qooop - 2009-12-05

arkainus Wrote:I've been switching between the vga and hdmi port. If you use the vga you are going to have to use the headphone jack to do audio out, but other than that I haven't ran into any problems.

I have an old Turtle Beach USB optical audio adapter that works good. After I hooked it up I went to the settings and it had an option for a USB device so I selected it and it works. Every once in a while it will start having some problems on a song, twice I have noticed it. I never heard a problem when using the HDMI as audio. Also, there are a couple different options when using the USB device and one of them made the music play about 10% too fast.

- axium - 2009-12-06

Im getting stuck in the ubuntu installer. Can anyone help?

I've added the "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" line to the installer, but I'm getting stuck with "no common cd-rom was detected".

[Edit] - Im trying to install 9.11 beta1.

This is what my syslinux.cfg looks like.

default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
menu label Default
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live vga=788 splash module=nvidia quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry0
menu label XBMCLive - NVIDIA GPU
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live vga=788 splash module=nvidia quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry1
menu label XBMCLive - NVIDIA GPU, SAFE MODE
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live module=nvidia quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry2
menu label XBMCLive - ATI/AMD GPU
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live vga=788 splash module=amd quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry3
menu label XBMCLive - ATI/AMD GPU, SAFE MODE
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live module=amd quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry4
menu label XBMCLive - Intel GPU
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live vga=788 splash quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry5
menu label XBMCLive - Intel GPU, SAFE MODE
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0

label ubnentry6
menu label Install XBMCLive to disk
kernel /install/vmlinuz
append initrd=/install/initrd.gz vga=normal quiet preseed/file=/cdrom/install/preseed.cfg/cdrom-detect/try-usb=true --

label ubnentry7
menu label Memory test (memtest86+)
kernel /live/memtest
append initrd=/ubninit

- BennyB - 2009-12-06

Thanks all for the advice and the very quick responses, i've finally managed to get this installed on the machine now. But I ended up having to borrow a windows laptop with a CD drive attached (I only have mac that has a CD Rom attahced), burning the iso and booting up from the CD and creating the USB from there.

Now I can't seem to work out how to install the skin. I was assuming i'd just FTP it up, but where is the skin folder? I'm looking under /home/xbmc and I only have video, pictures and music under the directory? Any ideas.

Thanks
Ben