Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- rchapoteau - 2009-12-26

When you connected via SSH did you make ANY changes? I SSH in, and made changes that the system didn't like and it booted to the command prompt. I'd ssh back in and remove the changes and it would go back to normal.

upgrading memory?? - MARKD1505 - 2009-12-26

post removred

- cbaksa - 2009-12-26

Search You Tube. There is a good video on how to take it apart.
Just be very ginger with it as to not scratch or break the tabs.

- SiNJiN - 2009-12-27

NiklasK Wrote:OK, I´m hoping somebody here could help me out. I´ve serached this forum as well as other websites but havent found answers.

I got my Revo 3610 yesterday. It was preinstalled with some sort of Linux OS that looked like a command prompt. My plan is to install xbmc live on the HD.

When I entered the BIOS to edit the settings according to the recommendations in this thread it looked different. There is no option for RevoBoot, you cant edit the iGPU just UMA. Is this something I should do anything about or is the live installation work anyway?

Please advice

/Niklas
Me too. Just got my R3610 with the Linux Install. I didn't see any of the mentioned setting in my BIOS either. Anyway, using the latest LIVE and everything is working just fine.

I still would like to know why the mentioned setting in the instructions are not on the R3610. Is it because it's a R3610?

- Jovack - 2009-12-27

I have tried 9.11 repack as well as 9.11 RC2.

No matter what I get the error "No common CD-ROM drive was detected".

This is where my installation fails. I have made sure I have the detect-cdrom/try-usb=true as well.

Ultimately the install fails when it tryies to get preseed.cfg from file:///cdrom/install/preseed.cfg

Any thoughts??

--Rod

- ncnmra - 2009-12-27

Hi Guys,

Just got the Revo and first thing installed XBMC Windows on it. I was pretty disappointed that it wouldn't play my 720p videos smoothly. I have a dual core 1.5Ghz laptop that plays 720p with no problems, but its running XP, so I'm not sure if that's the reasonHuh

Anyhow, I tried the LIVE version (9.11) from a USB key using unetbootin. It works, in that it boots just fine, but I can't get the following to work. Please keep in mind that I'm a Linux newbie, so perhaps there are some HOW-TOs on this topic:

1) I have no network connection, because I need wireless, and I don't know where to put in the WEP key/wirelesss details

2) My MCE remote does NOT work out of the box

3) no audio over HDMI even though the settings page is set for this.

Any ideas?

Aghrrrrrrrrrr! - campbeln - 2009-12-27

I've wasted a whole day trying to get this to work, and now I'm feeling like a complete f'n noob.

Here's what I've done (from f-n scratch for the 3rd time today):

1) Unetbooted a 4gb thumb with 9.11 rc1
2) Installed from the thumb onto my Acer Revo R1600 (using a monitor, not via hdmi)
3) ctrl-alt-f2'd out, logged in and ran:
a) sudo apt-get update
b) sudo apt-get upgrade
and dome came the gold version of 9.11
4) Reboot, no love on the hdmi (blank screen, no signal, nutin) This has been tried via my Onkyo 875 and direct with my panel, no love either way.
5) Reboot with monitor, ctrl-alt-f2 out and run:
a) sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185 nvidia-settings mesa-utils (185-1?-36 is the version that comes down)
b) sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
and then reboot. Again, nada with the hdmi. Re-reboot with monitor and I get the dreaded "XBMC needs a supported display driver" message. It seems the nvidia driver (which should be there in the damned first place) gorks XBMC.

Someone, please WHAT THE F AM I MISSING? I've searched and read:

[this post]
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=466234
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#Install_.22restricted_drivers.22_for_NVIDIA_or_ATI.2FAMD_video_cards_.28optional.29
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53812
and
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64974
(and those are just teh tabs I still have open)

What in the hell am I missing?

Thanks

(a very pissed and aggravated) Cn

PS- I've also tried the linked-to Babylon release, the gold version, the 9.11-repack all with no love on the hdmi... so aggravated...

Arghhhh 2 - campbeln - 2009-12-27

Few other things:

I've occasionally gotten a signal down the hdmi, but only 3-4 times and only after a reboot for the BIOS screen (read here somewhere that someone else had the same problem, but their solution [if there was one] didn't work for me). Finally got the thumb to boot into the "default" mode (which doesn't seem to work, someone forgot to change it's config to look for USB as well maybe?) over hdmi, never would under Nvidia live mode (as far as I could tell). At any rate, the HDMI works fine under Windows and can do under linux/grub but not under XBMC.

I've tried using 3 different thumb drives (one brand new bought for the effort) with no love.

Just tried going directly to Nvidia's site, got the 190.53 driver and ran "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run" Installed fine but guess what? No love over the hdmi. This did fix the display error message though...

I asked for and got the Acer Revo R1600 for XMas and thought it's be easy and fun to setup, replacing the old modded XBox and able to push 1080p and instead all I've wanted to do is throw the f-n thing out the window. 9.11 live is broken, but that's ok, the repack was posted and I got the little f-er within minutes, but nope. So I burn it down and do exactly as this original post says, nope. Lifehacker version? Nup... I've reinstalled this thing at least 15 times today...

I know I'm missing something blaring ass stupid, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out...

Cn

- edbro - 2009-12-27

I'm a noob too but I believe that RC1 lacked the drivers and 9.11b2 included them. My workflow was to install b2 and upgrade from there.

- moontan77 - 2009-12-27

anyone using the alaska skin with an acer revo dual core and 2gb ram?

The menu are jumpy/shaky for me and i dont have that problem at all with my asrock ion which has the same specs. Very disappointed so far with the acer because of this and cant understand what the problem might be. I have full ubuntu installed and have it booting straight into xbmc. I have visual affects set to none and have gpu buffer set to 512mb.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

I installed ubuntu twice and made no difference aswell as trying 9.10.

All i can thing of theres slow harddrives in the revo's as fanart is slower to load compared to the asrock.

- rchapoteau - 2009-12-27

Perhaps you should try 9.0.4 just to see?

Also did you turn on VPADU?

- campbeln - 2009-12-28

rchapoteau Wrote:Perhaps you should try 9.0.4 just to see?

Also did you turn on VPADU?

I tried two versions of the Babalyon (9.0.4 I believe) version attached to this post (the one linked on page 1 and the one linked from Lifehacker) and both ended up with the same issue; which I cannot remember what it was at the moment but it presented like the file I downloaded was corrupted (hence the double download). I will try it one last time and post the results. I did the install soooo many times yesterday and got so livid I can't remember exactly what the problems were for each version.

I've also tried making the USB thumbs via both Unetbootin and via the bootup and install to thumb from CDR methods (though all attempts have been done with VMware under OSX, none have been native).

And I was careful to set VPADU as the render method for each attempt, but again I fully admit getting sloppy towards the end when I was getting really pissed. I also attempted to install the drivers both via apt-get and via the Nvidia .run, all with no success.

Alright... fresh day so I'll make a few fresh attempts (hopefully only one more attempt, but I'm still jaded Wink. Will report on my attempts and progress. Also, should the live images still give me issues after 2-3 more attempts I'm going to give this post a shot (anyone else try this?):

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53812

Day 2, Attempt 1 - campbeln - 2009-12-28

Day 2, Attempt 1:

Using:
* XP Pro SP3 under VMware Fusion 3.0.1 (215242), running under OSX Snow Leopard
* Acer Revo R1600 w- 2gb RAM installed (1gb original 800mHz chip, 1gb spare 667mHz chip which correctly register as 2gb running at 667mHz according to the POST messages), US version ordered from Amazon in December 2009, BIOS v02.66, Firmware P01-A1 (Release Date 06/17/2009)
* Brand new 4gb Verbatim thumb (Kingston chipset)

0) Under VMware, full reformat (not quick) thumb to FAT32 under windows (not doing a fresh format each time gorked at least 3 of my attempts yesterday, so FYI kiddies!).
1) Under VMware, Unetbootin of image downloaded from page 1 (http://www.fusedimages.com/xbmc.zip) onto clean FAT32 thumb. Ensured drive was "safely removed" so all writes were committed by Windows. ISO is 480mb in size extracted form the ZIP.
2) Booted Acer Revo R1600 while pressing DEL (to enter BIOS setup) with DSub, USB keyboard and power plugged in (no hdmi) and verified that:
* iGPU Frame Buffer / Size: Custom / 512mb
* Boot to RevoBoot: Disabled
And also:
* Boot order correct (Removable Device, CD, HDD, disabled)
* USB Storage Emulation: Hard Disk (under 2gb Auto makes it look like a floppy disk)
* Quiet Boot: Disabled (so I can see the POST messages)
I'm pretty certain all other BIOS settings are defaults
3) Booted Acer Revo R1600 while pressing F12 (to select boot device) and selected Verbatim thumb
4) Select "Install XBMCLive to disk (USB or HDD)" from UNetbootin grub(?) menu. Loaded 2 Linux image files...
5) Blank screen with a blinking cursor for 5 minutes.
6) Plugged in HDMI to check to see if video of install was there while monitor had blinking cursor, but there was no signal over the HDMI.

Day 2, Attempt 1: FAILURE

=(

Cn

Day 2, Attempt 2 - campbeln - 2009-12-28

Using:
[As above]

0) [As above] Under VMware, fully reformatted thumb as FAT32
1) Under VMware, with UNetbootin loaded 9.11-repack ISO (500,222 kb ISO image), safely removed so Windows wrote all files.
2) BIOS settings were verified in Attempt 1.
3) Booted Revo while pressing F12, selected the thumb drive as boot device. Only have DSub, keyboard, network cable (had this plugged for Attempt 1 also) and thumb plugged in (no hdmi). Plugged thumb into a different USB port then attempt 1 (just cause I used that same port all day yesterday as well).
4) In UNetbootin grub(?) menu, selected "Install XBMCLive to disk", vmlinux.gz/etc load
5) Proceed thru setup:
* Choose language: English
* Choose country: USA. Network/dhcp/etc all good
* Partition disks: Guided use entire disk; 160gb HDD; Write changes, yes; parting finishes without issue, system install completes
* Setup users: xbmc, use weak password? yep, user setup successful
* Install grub: /dev/sda, grub installs fine
* Install complete, time to restart, remove thumb and select Continue (yesterday I waited untill all the file systems were unloaded)
6) Power on Revo (because the install shut it down rather then restarted), grub 1.5 menu countdown then onto the XBMC throbber, XBMC 9.11-repack loads fine to the monitor (not the hdmi yet, just the DSub).
7) Settings:
* System > Video Output: 1280x1024 (the monitor on the DSub), cannot change to 720p/1080p as option does not exist, leave setting as is
* System > Audio Output: Digital, AC3 enabled, DTS enabled, HDMI Audio Output Device, HDMI Passthrough Output Device, Downmix to stereo enabled
* Video > Playback: Render Method VDPAU
8) Rebooted into XBMC to ensure the settings were properly saved, oddly passthrough audio device was reset to "iec958", re-reset to hdmi.
9) Shutdown, then powered up into XBMC to recheck settings were saved correctly. Passthrough stuck this time (weird!?). Render Method triple checked, and was still VDPAU.
10) Shutdown, unplugged DSub, plugged HDMI (via Onkyo 875 to ensure there were no resolution issues with my 720p panel), crossed fingers. Just to review, the following is plugged in to the Revo:
* HDMI
* Network cable
* USB Keyboard
* Power
11) Powered up Revo... gave it 2 minutes to fully load... no signal. Cycled through other inputs on the Onkyo successfully, then back to the Revo... no signal. Unplugged the HDMI from the Onkyo and directly into the panel... no signal. Replugged DSub/monitor, no signal to DSub nor HDMI. Unplugged HDMI, no signal to DSub.
12) Unplugged Revo from wall, restarted with DSub and no HDMI. Got signal to DSub, XBMC started just fine. Verified settings were still properly saved.
13) ctrl-alt-F2'd out to command line and logged in
14) Copied "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run" (downloaded from nvidia.com) onto thumb from my OSX box. Safely removed thumb from OSX.
15) Ran the following:
* "sudo apt-get update"; all fetched without issue
* "sudo apt-get upgrade"; nothing upgraded/installed
* plugged in thumb, Ubuntu auto-mounted to /media/removable\ disk (didn't do this yesterday, had to "sudo mkdir /usb" and "sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /usb", anyway...)
* "cd /media/removable\ disk"
* "sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run"; You appear to be running XServer, please exit before running setup
* "sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop"; this complained, asking me to use "service xbmc-live stop" instead, but eemed to work
* "sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run"; Setup ran this time... Accept license, built kernel module, installed, auto-update xorg.conf? yep, success! Yesterday, this process complained abotu 3-4 missing files/directories... but not today!
* "sudo reboot"
16) Started XBMC with no HDMI via the DSub (to verify the driver installed correctly) and re-re-reverified the settings (all good still). Shutdown Revo cold
17) With the following plugged:
* hdmi (direct to panel)
* network cable
* usb keyboard
* power
I powered on the Revo... fingers crossed (again)... gave it 2 minutes to fully load... no signal... replugged the hdmi via the Onkyo (again to ensure there's no 1080p -> 720p panel problems)... no signal... switch to tv Onkyo and Panel like, back to Revo... no signal
18) Force reboot of XBMC via keyboard, ctrl-alt-del no good, arrows tryting to find the shutdown button no good, holding down ctrl-alt-del finally gets it to reboot... no signal.
19) Give it 2 minutes to fully reboot, ctrl-alt-f2 out to command line (in the blind mind you!), login and run "sudo reboot", system reboots (frankly, I'm proud of myself for doing this blind!)... give it 2 minutes to load... no signal
20) Unplug Revo, unplug hdmi, replug DSub and reboot. XBMC loads on monitor no problem.
21) Check settings for what, a 4th time? VDPAU yep, but the damned resolution is still set to the monitor's > 1080... so reset to 640x480x78Hz, shutdown XBMC.
22) Unplug the DSub, replug the hdmi (still via the Onkyo), re-recross fingers, power up Revo... give it 2 minutes to fully startup... no signal
23) Unplug hdmi, replug DSub, startup XBMC, ctrl-alt-f2 out to command line, login and run:
* "sudo apt-get update"; all retrieved
* "sudo apt-get upgrade"; nothing to upgrade
24) Shutdown the Revo, reset the BIOS to 256mb for VRAM, saved BIOS, shutdown and removed the extra 1gb of non-stock 667mHz RAM.
25) Restarted with no hdmi and XBMC started without issue. Re-re-re-re-rechecked settings. All still set, including video resolution (for the monitor/DSub?) at 640x480
26) Shutdown, unplugged DSub, replugged hdmi (via Onkyo), powered up, crossed fingers... gave 2 minutes to fully start... no signal. Switched out the HDMI cable with another cable and input on the Onkyo... no signal...

Day 2, Attempt 2: FAILURE

=(

Cn

Day 2, Attempt 3 - campbeln - 2009-12-28

Using (note the removed RAM for this attempt):
* XP Pro SP3 under VMware Fusion 3.0.1 (215242), running under OSX Snow Leopard
* Acer Revo R1600 w- 1gb RAM (stock) installed, US version ordered from Amazon in December 2009, BIOS v02.66, Firmware P01-A1 (Release Date 06/17/2009)
* Brand new 4gb Verbatim thumb (Kingston chipset)

-1) Following this guide for this attempt: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53812
0) [As above] Under VMware, fully reformatted thumb as FAT32
1) Downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 JJ Minimal CD (http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso), I figure I can upgrade to KK later
2) Under VMware, with UNetbootin loaded mini.iso (11.7mb ISO image), safely removed so Windows wrote all files. Wait... asked to overwrite "\vesamenu.c32"... great... reformatted and retried... same issue. Fine, overwrite the fucker...
3) Installed JJ using the "default" UNetbootin option as per usual/the guide (Installing Ubuntu 1-6 done, and done)... but man what a bare bones installer! I just used all the defaults, except; I told it to use the whole disk in the partitioner part. linux-generic kernel (?) and only the targeted drivers. Setup as Samba File Server profile (figured it'd be nice to access the local HDD over the network =).
4) Now running the "Updating the computer " part of the guide... Fucking sweet... the keyboard wasn't setup correctly! Lets start the motherfucker again (getting snarky again, can you tell?) agh, wait.... nano seems to work where vi freaks... ok... trying a bit longer... Ok some laughter... launchpad != lunchpad (just and FYI). All good (oh, and ^O / ^X in nano is ctrl+O / ctrl+X for the noobs). All good.
5) Now running the "Install ALSA for sound" section, humm... no PCM in the mixer... ok... there is a IEC958 but cannot turn up sound... hope that doesn't cause any issues later...
6) Now running the "Install the NVIDIA drivers" section, note that thi has me installing at least 3 major versions back on the Nvidia driver (180, vers 185-18, 185-36(?) or 190-53), but doing as the guide says... well, looks like it actually added 185.18.14, k... well, all good
7) Now running the "Install XBMC" section, all good (just did xbmc, nutin else)
8) Now running the "Make the system login automatically" section, keyboard gave me the shits again, but hopefully I got the proper ` character...
9) Now running the "Add power management" section, don't think the polkit-auth stuff worked for me, got WARN's for each command, and the same when I requested what should have been an unknown command "rshutdown"... noice, another issue...
10) Rebooting (as per guide)... excellent! As expected! ERRORS! It didn't boot into XBMC as it should have, so redoing the ` script from windows (using the proper Unix line breaking, thank you EditPlus) and copying that file onto the Ubuntu system... nope... to the prompt...
11) Fuck it then, typing "xbmc"... cannot connect to X server... noice! ok, how about "exec xbmc --standalone"... nope! Just a flash of the screen with Ubuntu copyright stuff flashing up (in text in the console) and then a "clear" and another blinking fucking cursor...
12) Hell, how about another apt-get update/-f install? All good, but nutin to update...
13) try the xorg.conf stuff ("sudo nvidia-xconfig"), got an xorg.conf, but no go. XBMC dead, will not start

Day 2, Attempt 3: FAILURE

>=|

Cn