Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- ncnmra - 2009-12-29

campbeln Wrote:As to the question of low res's and the panel... my Onkyo up/down/cross converts everything to 720p so that shouldn't be the issue. Also, I've gotten low res (ie- the BIOS POST screen) on the panel 3-4 times, but I cannot say if that was thru the Onkyo or direct to the panel (I generally try both before giving up on an attempt) but they were after reboots only (never on an initial load).

Does your receiver upconvert BOTH analog AND digital (HDMI) signals? Most (save for the newer ones) cannot upconvert HDMI, and simply try to "Pass" them through. Although, I don't think the receiver is the issue here.

I tried XBMC Live from a USB key two days ago on a Revo AR3610. It worked pretty much right out of the box. I downloaded the latest "stable" XBMC (9.11 "repack?" I guess??).

I used unetbootin on an 8GB usb key, and it booted into XBMC without any issues. I don't know how to get my wireless connection working, and there are some other weirdnesses, like no sound over HDMI, but it does play movies OK.

Just to add: I was using HDMI the whole time, and I can see every step of the process (BIOS POST, Graphics Driver Selection, XBMC "Linux" bootup screen, XBMC splash screen, etc). I have an HK 247 with a Samsung LN52A750 TV.

- campbeln - 2009-12-29

ncnmra Wrote:Does your receiver upconvert BOTH analog AND digital (HDMI) signals? Most (save for the newer ones) cannot upconvert HDMI, and simply try to "Pass" them through. Although, I don't think the receiver is the issue here.

I tried XBMC Live from a USB key two days ago on a Revo AR3610. It worked pretty much right out of the box. I downloaded the latest "stable" XBMC (9.11 "repack?" I guess??).

I used unetbootin on an 8GB usb key, and it booted into XBMC without any issues. I don't know how to get my wireless connection working, and there are some other weirdnesses, like no sound over HDMI, but it does play movies OK.

Just to add: I was using HDMI the whole time, and I can see every step of the process (BIOS POST, Graphics Driver Selection, XBMC "Linux" bootup screen, XBMC splash screen, etc). I have an HK 247 with a Samsung LN52A750 TV.

Well, I am jealous!

I've got a Onkyo 875, basically top of the line and as I understand it it converts everything (hdmi and all), no passthrough of the hdmi. But I agree, I too do not believe it's the receiver that is the issue.

Yea, getting my Revo R1600 to push down the hdmi has been a nightmare. I just updated the BIOS to A3 (will go to A4L if issues persist) and I'm trying to get windows installed now (it keeps blue screening with the 7B error... no matter what technique I use, agh! Maybe the fresh BIOS will fix that too...).

Good to know I should be seeing everything over the hdmi, as that doesn't see to be the case as of yet for me.

cn

What version did you do this on? - NebulaSleuth - 2009-12-29

@junshi - When making all the adjustments listed, what version did you start with?

junshi Wrote:Hi all, I have been following the tips here to get my revo working.
I have seen many links to other posts, but decided to put together what I did to get my system working.

I have a standard 1GB box, and it plays 1080p fine, no jitter:

IF you follow the OP's guide you should have a live version of xbmc working.

-- to get menu sounds working I created a text file asoundrc.txt, containing:

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
-- copied it to my revo using SFTP and renamed it - menu sounds now working.--

Next I tried to copy files to my revo, but SFTP was very slow. Time to install SAMBA and create a windows share.

Boot revo, hit ESC and select XBMC - SAFE MODE
login with username "xbmc"
password - whatever you set when you installed XBMC...

-- first off I updated my install --
Code:
sudo apt-get update
-- and --
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
-- Note I left xbmc alone!!! --

-- time to install samba --
Code:
sudo apt-get install samba
-- configure the share --
Code:
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
-- in the conf file, set the following --
Code:
workgroup = "<your workgroup name if you have one>"
server string = "xbmc"
netbios name = "xbmc"
-- then at the bottom of the conf file, create your share--
Code:
[xbmc]
comment = XBMC Share
path = /home/xbmc
force user = xbmc
inherit permissions = yes
read only = no
guest ok = Yes
-- This created a share called xbmc in my windows workgroup --

-- now I wanted the system to mount USB drives I connect to my revo --
Code:
sudo apt-get install usbmount
-- By default it only supports a few formats types, so --
Code:
sudo nano /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
-- Inside the conf file change the filesystems line to --
Code:
FILESYSTEMS = "ext2 ext3 vfat ntfs"

--Finally to cure the jitter I was getting --
Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
-- Following the guide I found, I made the following changes --
-- Note, if your conf file does not have the entry, then ADD it --
-- In the Monitor Section: --
Code:
HorizSync 31.0 - 69.0
VertRefresh 59.0 - 86.0
-- In the Device Section: --
Code:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
-- In the Screen Section: --
Code:
Option "TwinView" "False"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
-- And finally, add an Extensions Section: --
Code:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

-- now to restart --
Code:
sudo reboot

With the above I can push files to the xbmc share at Gbit speeds, or just connect an external NTFS drive with files on. For a test I was able to watch the following with no jitter:
Video 1920x1080 at 22 FPS, 16:9, 18.5 MBit/s
Audio dca, 4800 Hz, 5.1, s16 1536 kb/s (Dolby DTS on my Onkyo)
CPU0 17%, CPU1 14%

TV: 47" Sharp Aquos. Revo connected to Onkyo TX-SR605 reciever, then to the tv, all via HDMI only.

I put this together so I had a place to reference all this, should I need to rebuild! Major thanks to all those people who worked out how to get the above working...

9.11-live-repack working? - NebulaSleuth - 2009-12-29

Has anyone confirmed that the latest 9.11-live repack version fixes the jitter problem reported in the RC?

- junshi - 2009-12-29

Quote:@junshi - When making all the adjustments listed, what version did you start with?

I used the links to xbmclive on the lifehacker page at:
http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-silent-standalone-xbmc-media-center-on-the-cheap

I am looking to see what version I have:

ahh, found it:

Linux 2.6.28-11-generic
XBMC 9.04.1 r20654

--bottom line is it works so I don't plan to update it. Since I have had a little more time to use the system, I have only noticed some audio out of sync issues on some .avi files. These were all game trailers that I had converted. I have had no issues with any movie rips (both HD and SD).

- Grippen - 2009-12-29

junshi Wrote:I used the links to xbmclive on the lifehacker page at:
http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-silent-standalone-xbmc-media-center-on-the-cheap

ahh, found it:

Linux 2.6.28-11-generic
XBMC 9.04.1 r20654

--bottom line is it works so I don't plan to update it. Since I have had a little more time to use the system, I have only noticed some audio out of sync issues on some .avi files. These were all game trailers that I had converted. I have had no issues with any movie rips (both HD and SD).

I'm also using that version and the basic (without updates) has some bugs and less features. For example skins won't display the video info, 720p, 1080p, SD, DTS, Dolby, MP3 etc... if you use thetvdb.com you won't be able to download some of the recent fanart and posters added because xbmc is looking on images.thetvdb.com instead of simply just thetvdb.com and I don't know any way of changing this manually.

Before I was always updating and I had one of the last builds of the 9.04 until I had the sad idea of trying the 9.11 beta. The first build had problems while trying to correct them I messed up. Eventually formated but the update took me to the 9.11beta2. It was working with some bugs. On Sunday decided to try 9.11 final update everything went wrong again. So format. But I wanted to update it to the last 9.04 the simple apt-get update is not working because he updates with packages from 9.11.

Any idea of how to update "inside" 9.04?

- bigfoot2355 - 2009-12-29

Hey guys, so I followed the guide and it works *perfectly* and have yet to find something even 1080p that it can't play (thanks!).
However, I am not able to connect via ethernet (router is in another room) and since the revo doesn't have built in wireless I had a belkin usb (b/g) lying around, but it doesn't recognize it! I was wondering if there were any guides to get it working and recognized in XBMC. I have been scouring the forums and haven't turned up anything. Since I chose the minimal install as with the directions, I don't know how to proceed. Any help (or tips to point me in the right direction) would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks!

Throwing in the towel some 30+ install attempts later - campbeln - 2009-12-29

Ok... today I finally got Windows reinstalled on my 4th attempt (the big trick was to disable ACPI? on the HDD in BIOS, telling it to go IDE, then the USB'd WinXp's no longer blue screened). Then after getting the drivers installed (wat a royal bitch, I kept getting random error after random error) I got the HDMI to push an image consistently in Windows.

So... then I go to do a dual-boot install of 9.11-repack, go to the guided partitioner to resize the partition (as Windows installed from a USB had to be on a full disk partition, another error I fell into!), it errors out... I'm pretty sure no changes were made to the part. tables (even though I was prompted to "save changes" when no changes were made, but who knows).

So off to the forums I go and the answer seems to be that the NTFS journal is dirty, and to restart Windows fully, let it do it's checks and do a shutdown. Ok, then... restart my Revo and bam! The Windows install I fought most of the day to get on there is fucked up. Will not start in Safe Mode, last known good config, normal, nutin. So maybe there were partition changes written and that jacked it, but I got into the windows boot stuff and it dies about 20% in so I highly doubt its the partition table.

In addition to this, I had numerous errors with the drivers downloaded direct from Acer, popping error 39 on driver installs (which means either the driver is corrupted or a Windows file the driver relys on is corrupted). But SP3 and a WLAN card (as the Ethernet was one of the jacked devices) / Windown online drivers got it all up eventually.

But, considering the MASSIVE departure in experience between what happened to me and my system verses EVERYONE else's experience I read online, I'm now convinced that my system is a lemon. Bad motherboard? Blown capacitor? I donno, I don't fucking care... there is nothing else that can explain all of the issues I've experienced! Oh! And I couldn't even get memtest to run off the 9.11-repack...

This has been a painful, fruitless, horrific experience. And best of all... my wife feels bad for getting me the Xmas present I wanted the most (because she's had to put up with me yelling every four letter word I know at this thing for the last 3 days). An to add further insult to injury, I was advised by the hardware guys at work to avoid Acer as they've had nothing but problems with them in the enterprise environment... so I can't even say I wasn't warned!

So, needless to say this hunk of shit is going back to Buy.com. BUT, can anyone suggest a non-Acer, ION-based XBMC friendly nettop to replace it?

Agh... I'm finially free of this headache/nightmare/frustration... bliss...

Cn

- Bad_Ad84 - 2009-12-29

campbeln Wrote:So, needless to say this hunk of shit is going back to Buy.com. BUT, can anyone suggest a non-Acer, ION-based XBMC friendly nettop to replace it?

you do realise the brand means nothing here right? you are going to do exactly the same with any other machine you get, its not going to be any different.

and why are you going to the acer website for drivers? just goto nvidia and get the latest ion drivers, it will install everything...

and xp, you should really just install it to a smaller partition of its own.... just create the partitions yourself before you do the install.

Thanks - NebulaSleuth - 2009-12-29

Awesome! I can't wait. Mine arrives tomorrow and I just wanted to know where to start. Got my disc, my external CD-Rom and ready to rock!

Thanks a lot!

junshi Wrote:I used the links to xbmclive on the lifehacker page at:

ahh, found it:

Linux 2.6.28-11-generic
XBMC 9.04.1 r20654

- schneidz - 2009-12-29

bigfoot2355 Wrote:Hey guys, so I followed the guide and it works *perfectly* and have yet to find something even 1080p that it can't play (thanks!).
However, I am not able to connect via ethernet (router is in another room) and since the revo doesn't have built in wireless I had a belkin usb (b/g) lying around, but it doesn't recognize it! I was wondering if there were any guides to get it working and recognized in XBMC. I have been scouring the forums and haven't turned up anything. Since I chose the minimal install as with the directions, I don't know how to proceed. Any help (or tips to point me in the right direction) would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks!

this mite help:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=368080&postcount=3
either ssh into your box or ctrl-alt-f2 to another virtual terminal (login/ pass would be xbmc/ xbmc).
i put the working command line in the last line of ~xbmc/.profile

- schneidz - 2009-12-29

does anyone have an mce remote working while using hdmi ?

- edbro - 2009-12-29

schneidz Wrote:does anyone have an mce remote working while using hdmi ?

Yes, mine worked out of the box and I'm using hdmi. I got the remote mentioned in the Lifehacker writeup.

Now I'm using my Harmony remote that I learned from signals off the mce remote. The only thing I can't figure out is how to wake XBMC from the remote. For that matter, I can't figure out how to wake the Revo using any method. I have to power it all the way down then back on again. Can anybody help with that? I know I have to edit the rc.local but I can't figure out how to get write permissions. I can edit it but I can't commit it.

- karifsmith - 2009-12-29

NebulaSleuth Wrote:Has anyone confirmed that the latest 9.11-live repack version fixes the jitter problem reported in the RC?

Yes, the latest Camelot Final release works fine as is - I installed it on the 3610 with no problems. (As opposed to when I installed RC1 and had to do the NVIDIA install to fix issues)

- karifsmith - 2009-12-29

schneidz Wrote:does anyone have an mce remote working while using hdmi ?

I purchased the AVS Gear GP-IR01BK from Newegg and it worked out of the box with my XBMCLive install (I'm using HDMI).

There is also an IR02 version of the remote but I'm not sure exactly what the difference is.