Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- edbro - 2010-01-15

ClayM Wrote:It's "uname". That's an actual unix command (unix name)

Thanks, I told you it was a silly question. Oo

- lifeisfun - 2010-01-15

gswarriorfan Wrote:how large should I make my partition for XBMC Live? I currently have windows 7 installed.

I would like to know as well - anyone ?

Thanks

- schneidz - 2010-01-16

^ my xbmc live usb is running quite happily on 4 gb so i suppose that is a good benchmark.

- schneidz - 2010-01-16

BritBloke Wrote:...If you want to browse the web, torrents, etc, while running XBMC with VDPAU you will have to install a Linux OS (Ubuntu would be the easiest) and then run XBMC as a program within it. That way you won't be missing out on a full PC experience with XBMC to watch your media.
i think xbmc-live is quite functional as a full blown os:
schneidz Wrote:...you can also switch consoles (ctrl-alt-f2)
log in as xbmc/ xbmc (user/ pass) and do startx to get a gui (i think fluxbox desktop)
then you can sudo apt-get install to your hearts content.
i have installed firefox, thunderbird, gaim, ekiga, open-office, ...
xbmc-live is basically debian linux with all the excess fat trimmed off.
its programmed to autologin/ autostart the xbmc dashboard when you hit the power button to give the look and feel of a set top box.
one can easily install linux programs by accessing the console.

- schneidz - 2010-01-17

i already modified .asoundrc but i am now having problems with menu sounds.

when i plug my revo directly to my tv via hdmi i can hear the menu sounds.

but when i plug my revo to my home theatre reciever via hdmi and then connect my home theatre reciever to my tv thru hdmi, i get no menu sounds.
(i get audio when playing a file).

is there any fix for this ?

here is my .asoundrc
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

there seems to be something funky with either my receiver or xbmc.

when i click thru the resolutions in the settings tab very rapidly i hear the swooshing sound that normally happens when you touch a button on the remote (only it is delayed a few seconds). that is the only time i heard sound from the menu.

anybody else in this situation (weird).
i tried ssh'ing in and doing this but got an error:
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay /usr/share/xbmc/skin/Confluence/sounds/out.wav
aplay: main:608: audio open error: Device or resource busy

My experiences - JackRubysDog - 2010-01-18

Hi chaps

I got one of these babes a week ago and have had a lot of fun and games setting it up. I previously ran my media server via a PS3 but read that a PS3 uses a deal of electricity (enough to power five fridges) so I convinced my wife that by splashing out £180 (I'm in the UK) we'd save heaps of money. So I got:

HARDWARE
========
Acer Aspire Revo
TBS Q-BOX USB DVB-S
Hama Windows MCE Remote
50" Plasma HD TV
1TB HD (which I already had)
Iphone (which I already had)

My vision was to have XBMC running under Ubuntu (as I'm quite familiar with linux) for music, photos and video, with MythTV running behind it for live TV, and the MCE Remote and my iphone for control (back up) and to stream music to.

First mistake was to download Ubutnu-Netbook-Remix as my OS. Thought I was being clever in having the stripped down version, but it *seemed* to casue problems later on.

I loaded up UNR to the Aspire then installed XBMC and sorted all my media and libraries. Ran like a dog until I realised I hadn't downloaded the NVIDIA drivers. Then worked perfectly and was all done in two and a half hours.

The next day my TBS QBox USB DVB-S arrived. Here was my first problem. I followed the installation on the CD and it didn't work. Went to the TBS web-site and found the supplied drivers were out of date. Downloaded the new drivers and it installed. Downloaded and installed Myth TV and went through the laborious set-up process. But it worked! Live TV via the XBMC, and a much better quality then running it through my TV satellite decoder! Happy days. Downloaded XBMC remote and XBMC streamer to my iphone and got them working too - although I found setting both up to "auto" work over 3G made one work, but the other not. Then I found out they were assigned to different ports over 3G - I simply switched the port of the non-working one over to the working one and yes! - music streaming over 3G!

Day three was remote day. It worked "out of the box" in some ways but half the buttons did nothing. Then I realised it was just mimicking a mouse/keyboard combination. Found a thread on a forum that went through the whole lirc process and hey presto! Work perfectly.

Three days and all was working perfectly. Surely this couldn't last?

It didn't.

Two days of mythtv-backend running and it had yet to find any EPG data over EIT. I ran scans that returned nothing, except continual EIT timeouts. But the EPG was never populated, meaning I could use my aspire as a DVR. I tried various settings and suggestions on various forums but nothing worked. No matter what - no EPG. The "Guide" folder on XBMC suddenly got bored of not having anything to do and decided it contained episodes of the UK TV programme "Property Guide" instead.

I managed to convince myself that my initial driver screw-up was the fault. I made the brave step to re-install everything from UNR up, which I did.

Still no joy. UNR was getting on my nerves as well - it auto maximisies every window and the version of Gnome seemed to like to do its own thing. Not really required on a 50 inch TV! I couldn't find a way to empty the trash either. Oh and the remote desktop connection was a pain in the arse - I'd hope to be able to do the maintenance via another Ubuntu machine I have leaving the kids free to play on the PS3 but it wouldn't connect.

Then come Sunday morning and the TSB QBOX drives disappearred completely. No idea why - except that I ran a Ubuntu update which may or may not have been connected. Reboots and unplugs did nothing. So I decided to start AGAIN from scratch, consigning UNR to the (invisible) Trash Can and going with Ubuntu 9.10.

Downloaded it to a USB with unetbootin and plugged it in my Aspire. Rebooted and - nuthin! Loads of useless error messages. Tried various settings but only a dead Aspire was the result. Panic! Then I read on the net that the top USB port on the Aspire is a bit dodgy, so plugged it into one of the side USB ports, rebooted and yes! "Do you want to install Ubuntu 9.10?" popped up.

Then it was a matter of routine;
Install Ubuntu 9.10 - worked.
Updated Ubuntu 9.10 - worked.
Installed drivers for USB DVB-S - worked.
Installed mythtv - partially worked, quite a few channels missing.
Installed xbmc - worked.
Installed remote - worked!

This morning everything was still up and running but still no EIT data for the EPG. Sad. Left it rescanning for channels so hopefully I'll recover the missing ones. Still no idea about the EIT/EPG issue though.

What a week!

Memory - hommy - 2010-01-19

Re: step 1; I have a spare 512mb PC-5300 chip lying around. I know it's slower than the recommended PC-6400, but does anyone know if this could meet my needs?

- koshari - 2010-01-21

billybarty Wrote:For an install on a new system, am I better off using the 9.04.1 ISO posted in p1 of this thread or XBMC Live 9.11 Alpha 1?

If it makes a difference, the system is a 2GB / dual core AR3610 system, and the plan is to install to a USB drive or SD card (leaving Win 7 on the hard drive). Video out will be VGA / audio will be analog. Content will be served over the network (ethernet) using SMB.

Thanks for any help / advice.

you dont need to use a 2nd drive, you can shrink he win partition and install 2 operating systems side by side, i have xbmc running on ubuntu 9.10 with analog out and vga just fine,

alternatively esata would be a better option than usb.

- deadite66 - 2010-01-21

you can use wubi to install ubuntu inside the windows one, no messing with partitions then.

- Gadjet - 2010-01-21

bark02 Wrote:sold

but could not get the sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces command to work as it states gedit command not found.

Hi,
Did you sort out why sudo gedit wouldn't work, I'm having the same problem, is it part of xbmclive?

Cheers

- schneidz - 2010-01-22

since there is no gnome, gedit isnt installed.
if you really hate vi
then probably an apt-get install gedit will work.

by the way gedit is a gui program so if you are calling it from a console then it will not run if x-windows isnt running.

Audio Advantage? - jmagilto - 2010-01-22

Hello all,

Is anyone in this thread successfully using the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB Sound Card with their Revo 1600?

I have built 3 of these things and wound up replacing one of my receivers to one that supported HDMI audio because I could not get USB/Optical sound to work.

Specifically - I would get failed to initialize audio in the log files and on the screen during playback. The drivers seemed to be installed and the alsactl could see it as sound1. I suspect I just did not have the correct syntax for the device.

Any thoughs/input/guidance would be appreciated. I just ordered another 1600 and am planning to put 911 on it and want to get the sound working with the turtle beach. (I have throughly reviewed the threads on this board that are concerned with this and have not gotten anywhere).

thanks in advance
jer

Standby issues - nuuki - 2010-01-22

Hi guys,

I've recently got XMBC Live running on my new Revo 3610, and its been great - thoroughly impressed. However I'm struggling with power management a little, and onwdered if any of you could shed any light on what it might be.

If I select "Standby" nothing seems to happen at all.
If I select "Shutdown" XBMC closes and I'm dropped to a login prompt.

What I'd like to be able to do is get Standby working, and then wake from the remote control. I believe this is all possible, but though I've read through numerous threads I've not come across anyone with this specific issue.

One additional anomoly - I went to configure Shutdown to do to Standby. However the "Shutdown Function" gives me the option of ?0? and ?-1?. Don't know if this is a related issue or irrelevant, but it seemed odd, as my Windows install (on a separate PC) shows the options correctly.

Anyway apologies in advance if I'm doing something stupid (quite likely) but thanks for any assistance anyway.

nvidia drivers - dabagboy - 2010-01-23

Real n00b here.

I'm DLing the XBMC-Live Installer

Quote:3) Addings Nvidia Drivers to the XBMC-Live Installer:
First you need to download XBMC-Live and then add the Nvidia drivers to the ISO....or download this ISO of XBMC Live 9.04.1 with the updated NVIDIA.185_18_14 drivers allready added: http://www.fusedimages.com/xbmc.zip (thanks Duplo)

That link in the OP that is (I assume now dated)

Is this the most uptodate?
RELEASE] NVIDIA ION optimized XBMC Live 9.11 Live CD / Live USB version
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66388

- schneidz - 2010-01-23

^ just go to xbmc.org

click on downloads -> get xbmc

click on live

and wait for it to download.