Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- Rusty McCrusty - 2010-03-31

ok
I noticed that the mac address wasn't the same each time.
I went to my routers admin page that 10.1.1.7 was not in the dhcp clients list.
Did a reinstall of xbmc and the ip has changed to 10.1.1.4 which is fine, the mac address stays the same every time the system info page refreshes, I can now sftp to the revo, it was doing the internet connected but no dns available.
It has now changed to internet:connected but still have no rss feeds or weather or scraping and then changed to DNS not available

Getting closer!
any ideas?
Cheers
Rick

Hi - Cptdogfruit - 2010-04-01

Hi, just to let you knwo i am completly new to this forum and xbmc and anything linux like...that out the way i really need some help please! it's driving me crazy....

I am tryign to get XBMC live on my acer revo 3600 HDD...this is what happens
Everything seems to install as it should, but then when the system reboots it seems to load, the xbmc logo comes up and then nothing...just a black screen... i can press the ctrl alt f4 to get to the command prompt and login but thats it! Ive used the same USB installation on another system and it goes all the way and i get to xbmc, so it can't be that...any ideas or help would be most appreciated!!!

- akademiks - 2010-04-01

Hey guys I've been having problems with my Revo.. It seems like every 20 or 30 minutes the video skips or completely stops (video is stored on revo's HDD) for about a minute and then has to catch up for a while..
I'm using XBMC and MPC-HC as an external player.. Anyone know what's going on here?

XBMC live on USB, cant find windows partitioned drive when adding source - alpha_thetas - 2010-04-02

Hey yall,

newbie here, love xbmc on the revo. But I've been trying to solve this one problem for weeks.

I am only able to watch movies from Hard drives that are connected via USB, however the internal hard drive (windows partition) to the computer does not show up or and cant be added found as a source. Since the usb boots itself, i'm assuming its not a windows issue but I tried sharing the drives and removing firewall anyways and nothing has worked. Can anyone help on this?

XBMC Live Version - Camelot
OS - Windows XP w/ SP3
Hardware stats - Intel ATOM 230 1.6GHz Processor
1GB of DDR2 Memory
Partition HD (C: and D 160GB total.

- Tsuris - 2010-04-04

I installed live before I had a serious look at it, but I'm pretty sure that the windows partition is ntfs, I know that some versions of linux can read ntfs, but afaik it doesn't do this natively, if I had to guess, that is likely the cause of your problem. All external flash drives format fat(generally 32, but could also be fat16/fat12) which just about anything can read. I would highly recommend ditching windows outright, and run in straight from the little hard drive inside.

- McInen - 2010-04-05

alpha_thetas Wrote:Hey yall,
however the internal hard drive (windows partition) to the computer does not show up or and cant be added found as a source. Since the usb boots itself, i'm assuming its not a windows issue but I tried sharing the drives and removing firewall anyways and nothing has worked. Can anyone help on this?

Check out this thread, it might help you.

After removing the "nodiskmount" from the boot parameters the XBMC mounts your internal hard disk partition too, and you can add it as a source.

- gman2050uk - 2010-04-05

Hi guys Im getting my revo on weds so getting ready for it I really like the sound of this xbmc live but have seen that you can have this installed as well as linux mint 8 what I mean is while your in mints 8 you just click a button then it switches to xbmc I have only every used windows so could anybody please point me in the right direction please thx.

- alpha_thetas - 2010-04-05

McInen Wrote:Check out this thread, it might help you.

After removing the "nodiskmount" from the boot parameters the XBMC mounts your internal hard disk partition too, and you can add it as a source.

McInen - Thanks for the reference. I have ver 9.11 and there was one suggestion on there but I'll need to actually research the steps on how to do it since I'm a complete noob. I guess I can always cop out and use an usb hdd, but I really want it to work with my internal hdd so I dont have to attach anything to the PC.

Tsuris - Thanks for the insight on the ntfs and fat formats. I want to keep windows tho, so I can use my computer for other purposes.

- DJBlu - 2010-04-05

alpha_thetas Wrote:Hey yall,

newbie here, love xbmc on the revo. But I've been trying to solve this one problem for weeks.

I am only able to watch movies from Hard drives that are connected via USB, however the internal hard drive (windows partition) to the computer does not show up or and cant be added found as a source. Since the usb boots itself, i'm assuming its not a windows issue but I tried sharing the drives and removing firewall anyways and nothing has worked. Can anyone help on this?

XBMC Live Version - Camelot
OS - Windows XP w/ SP3
Hardware stats - Intel ATOM 230 1.6GHz Processor
1GB of DDR2 Memory
Partition HD (C: and D 160GB total.

On the grub bootloader,

press 'e'

then move to the second item in the list then press 'e' again. Remove 'nodiskmount'

This will allow you to mount your drives.

To remove this item permanently edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove the nodiskmount

Hope this helps.

- alpha_thetas - 2010-04-05

DJBlu Wrote:On the grub bootloader,

press 'e'

then move to the second item in the list then press 'e' again. Remove 'nodiskmount'

This will allow you to mount your drives.

To remove this item permanently edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove the nodiskmount

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the simple question but how do I get to the bootloader? I've tried the following command prompt after exiting xbmc live from my usb.

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

However when I get to that, I see no text in the file even after doing a search. However if I login thru windows, I can open up the file in word pad, it does have the word nodiskmount everywhere (all text in 2-3 rows). I am unsure if I should delete all of them or specific ones.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

- bigd1ck - 2010-04-13

2) Bios Settings:
Enter the Bios and disable "Use RevoBoot", then set the dedicated Memory to the GPU from AUTO to CUSTOM and then below set it to 512meg

SO I DO NOT SEE AN OPTION TO DISABLE "USE REVOBOOT" I have the acer revo 1600.

- Izod517 - 2010-04-14

Did this all tonight, including auto-mount, and adding the Xbox DVD Dongle without any real problems. Thanks OP - used your guide, other posts, and a few random web articles - wasn't bad at all.

Few notes that I'm sure the OP is aware of but newbies may not be

-Nvidia drivers are included in XBMC Live 9.11.
-FTPing into your XBMClive box may or may not work for replacing/editing certain files (for instance the grub/menu.lst) - the easiest way to get at those is by using Putty - you'll eventually probably just use it for everything.

To the above poster - Unsure why the command isn't working for you, but yes you can delete all 3 nodiskmounts.

- Izod517 - 2010-04-14

gman2050uk Wrote:Hi guys Im getting my revo on weds so getting ready for it I really like the sound of this xbmc live but have seen that you can have this installed as well as linux mint 8 what I mean is while your in mints 8 you just click a button then it switches to xbmc I have only every used windows so could anybody please point me in the right direction please thx.

I'm a mid-level Linux user, and I have to say, honestly, XBMC Live was a better resolution for me than any distro+XBMC. I found the system ran quicker, and I had less complications with XBMC Live than XBMC on top of a distro. If I ever need to make any changes to the system I just SSH into it with Putty. Minimal Ubuntu and Desktop Ubuntu caused me some issues that I didn't feel like dealing with.

- ginjim - 2010-04-15

im having a nightmare getting network settings and connecting to the network
all the tutorials i have seen show different images of xbmc
many thanks

Slow Fanart - phearless-d - 2010-04-15

Im running my revo 3610 with 2gb ram with the latest stable xbmc live.
I have a problem where fanart is loading slow (2 seconds or more) this also effects the skins home page (Aeon) as it takes a second or two for it to load the background.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
P