Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- svenh - 2010-11-29

If your laptop runs Windows:

If it's windows, just share out a folder, and then in XBMC go to video, add source, and type in smb://ipaddress.of.your.laptop/<sharename>

It should then ask you for a username and password. Just type that in and it should work find.

You can also try copying the data over to verify your install at first, or run it off a memory stick.

HTH

- schneidz - 2010-11-29

roatsche Wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I don't know how to change my password.

I tried both commands and got different responses:

Xbmc produced:

Error: unable to open display
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server

startx produce a couple of lines that went by too fast to read and then the screen went blank.

was it the actual xfce desktop ? (try rite-clik'ing on the background: applications -> bash shell... and run xbmc)

not sure why you want to change the password but the passwd command should do it ?

- schneidz - 2010-11-29

lordduckling Wrote:Heya everyone, I've just finished installing XBMC on my aspire revo r3610 using this link. I used UNetbootin to install the XBMC Live installer to my USB drive.

My ethernet cable is connected, there is a little yellow light coming from the port so I know it's connected.

My routeur is a linksys wrt310.

I'm getting an ip address and all that, but my question is how can I link my xbmc revo to my laptop with all my movies on it?

Thanks!

Also, how do I activate the wireless function? I've used the lspci function and it says I have a RaLink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R

this info would help us help you:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=513579&postcount=486

xbmc supports nfs and samba shares...
i get a lot of mileage from using sshfs on my xbmc-revo to connect to my fedora-revo upstairs (you would just have to add
Code:
sshfs [email protected]:/path/to/moo-vees /path/to/local-share-directory
in your .profile (be sure to setup an rsa key for passwordless login)).

(i'm assuming you are using xbmc-live-usb)

- roatsche - 2010-11-30

I tried changing my password to xbmc, but it wanted a longer password, and it wouldn't accept any defaults.

I never get to the actual xbmc desktop, so the mouse doesn't work, and I can't right-click.

- schneidz - 2010-11-30

^ that sux... seems kinda' difficult to figure out... maybe this will give us more info:
Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
lsmod | egrep -i "(nouv|nv|vesa)"
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

- lordduckling - 2010-12-01

schneidz Wrote:this info would help us help you:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=513579&postcount=486

xbmc supports nfs and samba shares...
i get a lot of mileage from using sshfs on my xbmc-revo to connect to my fedora-revo upstairs (you would just have to add
Code:
sshfs [email protected]:/path/to/moo-vees /path/to/local-share-directory
in your .profile (be sure to setup an rsa key for passwordless login)).

(i'm assuming you are using xbmc-live-usb)

I actually reinstalled win 7 after all, once I'm more familiar with linux I'll give xbmc live another try.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate it.

Stuck in middle of install - roatsche - 2010-12-01

I don't have a way to do a screen capture, and I'm not sure exactly how much to report, but here goes:

First command result: lots of files listed, including Xorg.0.log

Second command result:

nvidia 9550692 0
agpgart 42696

Stuck in middle of install - roatsche - 2010-12-01

Something happened there.

Second command result:

nvidia 9550692 0
agpgart 42696 1 nvidia

Third command result:

[cut off]
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
Option "DPMS"

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24

- schneidz - 2010-12-01

^ not sure what is wrong... seems like it is using (or trying to use) the nvidia driver.
what version of xbmc are you trying to use ?
its gonna' take a lot of work to understand why it is failing.
(is it possible to ssh into the revo from another pc (so that you can copy-and-paste the output ?)

can you run this and see if the desktop starts:
Code:
su -
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
sed s/nvidia/vesa/ /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
startx
now if you try to run xbmc without the 3-d driver it will probably be intolerably slow.

- roatsche - 2010-12-01

Before I try anything else, your question about my xbmc version begs another question: I've downloaded several ISO files from links to lifehacker and other sites. Is there one in particular I should try, and if so, will it install over the current state my revo is in?

- roatsche - 2010-12-02

SOMETHING happened.

su - wouldn't work (it required a password, but not my xbmc one), but sudo did.

startx produced some flashing on the screen, then a msg. about some wallpaper problem. The mouse started working, and I clicked OK.

I got a black screen, empty except for a bar (status?) at the bottom, containing "workspace n" on the left and date and time on the right. I couldn't seem to do anything on that screen, so I shut down.

I booted back up, clicked Esc for the menu, and selected Safe Mode again. After getting a prompt, I typed xbmc and got a lot of flashing, then a few quick lines of text at the top, over and over. I shut down again, booted up again, and let it boot up into xbmc by default. I got the same result as in post #704.

- schneidz - 2010-12-02

i think this is the latest stable for xbmc-live-9.10-camelot:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc/files/XBMC%20Live/Camelot%20-%209.11/xbmc-9.11-live-repack.zip/download

for some reason i think the nvidia driver on the one you downloaded is fubar.

the xfce desktop is very minimalistic. rite-clik the background to bring up the menu (i think you want applications->bash shell). then if you type in xbmc it will run xbmc but very slowly because you had to unload the nvidia driver to get the gui to work.

- roatsche - 2010-12-04

It turns out that I've already tried this one, without luck. There's evidence that I still don't have an nvidia driver. I've looked all over nvidia and acer (I can't find anything on the Aspire Revo 3700 on their support site) without identifying the correct driver. Can anyone identify it for me so I can download it?

I can't even reinstall my original operating system (Win 7) because I have no recovery disk and Firefox identifies the link to buying one as unsafe. Right now I'm screwed.

- roatsche - 2010-12-05

I opened this ISO with an ISO editor, and noticed that debian had a file size of zero. Is that normal?

- schneidz - 2010-12-05

roatsche Wrote:It turns out that I've already tried this one, without luck. There's evidence that I still don't have an nvidia driver. I've looked all over nvidia and acer (I can't find anything on the Aspire Revo 3700 on their support site) without identifying the correct driver. Can anyone identify it for me so I can download it?

I can't even reinstall my original operating system (Win 7) because I have no recovery disk and Firefox identifies the link to buying one as unsafe. Right now I'm screwed.

i have an acer revo 3610 and it has a recovery partition (i think you need to hit f12 or something at boot to bring it to factory default). are you using firefox from within xfce ? (what would you be buying ?)
how did you erase your windows-7 partition; hopefully you didnt format the whole drive (recovery partition included) ?
not sure what wouldve happened. most linuxes tend to install itself and make a boot entry for windows/ mac.

as a last ditch effort you can try to boot into the terminal (i think safe mode would make it accessible)
then post the results of
Code:
lspci | grep  ION
assuming yours is the same as mine it would be this link for the ion le 32 bit linux driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.21/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.21.run&lang=us&type=GeForce
you would need to install gcc as root to compile install it:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gcc && sudo apt-get install binutils && sudo apt-get install make
then remove anything that is already plugged in
Code:
sudo rmmod nvidia && sudo rmmod nouveau
then run the installer
Code:
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.21.run
then hopefully when you startx you will be enjoying the 3-d driver.

disclaimer: i am more of a fedora guy so hopefully the debian instructions are the same