Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Remote for Android - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for Android Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=129)
+---- Thread: XBMC Remote for Android (/showthread.php?tid=55346)

- the_alien - 2009-11-03

No, clicking isn't a good option, try clicking without rolling the trackball... Wink
Option could be made I guess, should be discuessed if the trackball is needed anyway.

@SkogsTrollet:
We would have to add the api of facebook and make a call to get updates, this won't happen. Sorry.

- freezy - 2009-11-03

Well in my opinion Facebook is pure evil so don't expect any help from my side :p

- SkogsTrollet - 2009-11-03

the_alien Wrote:No, clicking isn't a good option, try clicking without rolling the trackball... Wink
Option could be made I guess, should be discuessed if the trackball is needed anyway.

@SkogsTrollet:
We would have to add the api of facebook and make a call to get updates, this won't happen. Sorry.

Yeah, I guessed so much. then it would probably make more sense just to send a notification from the computer Smile Thanks for a great app though!

- mikkle - 2009-11-04

freezy Wrote:Added: Pressing a key on the (hard) keyboard jumps to the letter in music library...

For the record: On the HTC Magic, Long-pressing the menu-key will always bring up the soft-keyboard (on-screen), so Magic users (like yours truly) do have access to this feature now (yes, it works with soft-kbd). Work on implementing long-menu=soft-kbd for all handsets is in progress, and will be completed shortly.

:O) Mikkle

- StarChild - 2009-11-04

@the_alien: Clicking the trackball without rolling the trackball works here (HTC Magic), but I agree that it requires a lite finesse.

@mikkle: Nice, I was just going to ask about the soft keyboard.

- bob_loblaw - 2009-11-04

I tested this last night. I'm running a build after 9.04 on XP. I've been using "Boxee Remote" with no problems, but it's pretty limited (arrow keys and OK/cancel, and that's it). I didn't have the Event Server enabled but did after my first test. Ports all setup and OK.

* The remote didn't work -- all buttons stayed grey and presses were not registered by XBMC.
* Tested Videos. I was able to browse and select a video, but I couldn't pause or fast forward.
* Didn't test music or pictures

Since I use the library to watch TV and Movies, having Videos there is really quite useless for me and if there's an option to switch in the application, I couldn't find it.

Wake on LAN didn't work either but I'm not sure if my motherboard supports it, since I couldn't find the setting in the BIOS. Darn, that would've sold me the app regardless of if anything else worked.

This is with an HTC Hero using the latest publicly-available build on the HTC (UK) website. Running whatever the latest version was 12 hours ago (0.55 something). Not going to wade through 50 pages, but if someone hasn't suggested to use the trackball as a mouse yet, let me suggest that. I'm not familiar with the Event Server so I doubt it's even possible, but I thought I'd put it out there.

- the_alien - 2009-11-04

bob_loblaw Wrote:I tested this last night. I'm running a build after 9.04 on XP. I've been using "Boxee Remote" with no problems, but it's pretty limited (arrow keys and OK/cancel, and that's it). I didn't have the Event Server enabled but did after my first test. Ports all setup and OK.

* The remote didn't work -- all buttons stayed grey and presses were not registered by XBMC.
* Tested Videos. I was able to browse and select a video, but I couldn't pause or fast forward.
* Didn't test music or pictures
You have to enable the setting "Allow other computers to connect" in the Event Server, have a look here

Oh and the buttons have to be grey, there designed that way Wink

Quote:Since I use the library to watch TV and Movies, having Videos there is really quite useless for me and if there's an option to switch in the application, I couldn't find it.
Sorry, no video library right now. It will be implemented if the music library is completed. But you can use the remote control until that is done (after you configured the Event Server Wink).
Quote:Not going to wade through 50 pages, but if someone hasn't suggested to use the trackball as a mouse yet, let me suggest that. I'm not familiar with the Event Server so I doubt it's even possible, but I thought I'd put it out there.[/url]
You don't have to wade through all pages, you can just check our [url=http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcremote/issues/list]issue tracker on google code
to check if this enhancement is planned and you can enter one if you want us to check the enhancement.
Oh and yeah, it is possible through the Event Server, but I had some issues with the it on a full hd tv last time I tried it.

Thanks for your feedback.

- freezy - 2009-11-04

There goes the daily build:

Added: Doing stuff like queuing will pop a small notification informing what you have just done.
Fixed: Music library is now pretty well tested and bugfixed. Please report anything weird when queuing/playing stuff.

Download v0.5.12

Next release will contain more bugfixes. Now there are basic menus in the music library and I'm open for discussion what could be added (don't wanna hear about anything but music library).

Enjoy!

- freezy - 2009-11-04

@bob_loblaw: lazy bastard huh. Just read the main page of the Google code site, and install instructions wouldn't hurt either.

the_alien Wrote:You have to enable the setting "Allow other computers to connect" in the Event Server, have a look here
Thanks for that. I'll have another crack at it tonight, since the full remote is what I was most interested in. The thumbs/etc look nice, if that is added to the Video Library that'd be a great addition, though to me not a necessity (not to say I won't use it once it's added).

the_alien Wrote:Oh and the buttons have to be grey, there designed that way Wink
The first screenshot has grey and green buttons, hence my comment.

the_alien Wrote:Thanks for your feedback.
I'll let you know how I go tonight. I will have a look at the music library too, since that is a feature I could see myself using to listen to and control music from around (and outside) the house.

Currently I'm just streaming directly to my A/V receiver without using XBMC since it requires more things to be on, but if this was more convenient I could end up preferring that.

freezy Wrote:@bob_loblaw: lazy bastard huh. Just read the main page of the Google code site, and install instructions wouldn't hurt either.
Real men don't follow instructions. They stuff up all by themselves.

- Batemann - 2009-11-04

freezy Wrote:There goes the daily build:

Added: Doing stuff like queuing will pop a small notification informing what you have just done.
Fixed: Music library is now pretty well tested and bugfixed. Please report anything weird when queuing/playing stuff.

Download v0.5.12

Next release will contain more bugfixes. Now there are basic menus in the music library and I'm open for discussion what could be added (don't wanna hear about anything but music library).
Enjoy!

Hi Freezy. Great App, Makes me love Android even more.
I've got one suggestion: Cache the thumbs of the albums/artists. Every time I use the app, I have to wait a long time for the thumbs to load up (I've got a big music lib). I have been using the iphone XBMC remote (yeah, I know...) and this one keeps the thumbs cached... Makes it look even better. So it is possible on the XBMC end. Don't know anything about the Android end. ;-)

And a personal Question: in my network, (which is pretty fast) the application looses connection with XBMC quite a lot. Is this something other user experience as well, or am I doing something wrong?

- freezy - 2009-11-04

Batemann Wrote:Hi Freezy. Great App, Makes me love Android even more.
I've got one suggestion: Cache the thumbs of the albums/artists. Every time I use the app, I have to wait a long time for the thumbs to load up (I've got a big music lib). I have been using the iphone XBMC remote (yeah, I know...) and this one keeps the thumbs cached... Makes it look even better. So it is possible on the XBMC end. Don't know anything about the Android end. ;-)

And a personal Question: in my network, (which is pretty fast) the application looses connection with XBMC quite a lot. Is this something other user experience as well, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks. Album thumbs ARE cached. Actually there's a two-way-cache, they are cached on the SD card once downloaded, and then again cached in memory when scrolling. You'll have to download them once obviously. Are you sure it's the same covers re-downloading? In that case that would be a major bug.

About disconnecting: I had that a few times when not using the remote for a while. Need to take a look at it, good that you mention it, can you open a ticket?

How many albums are we talking about anyway?

- Batemann - 2009-11-04

freezy Wrote:Thanks. Album thumbs ARE cached. Actually there's a two-way-cache, they are cached on the SD card once downloaded, and then again cached in memory when scrolling. You'll have to download them once obviously. Are you sure it's the same covers re-downloading? In that case that would be a major bug.

About disconnecting: I had that a few times when not using the remote for a while. Need to take a look at it, good that you mention it, can you open a ticket?

How many albums are we talking about anyway?

Hi,

Now I think about it, I have been messing around with my XBMC DB, and cleaning up my underlying folderstructure. So it might just be me. I will check, forget about it for now. ;-)

I will open a ticket, will look for how to do that.

Albums: I think it's about 2000 IN the library now. And I think there are about a 1000 outside of the lib (bootlegs and such). Of course there are people with even more. But it took me a while to put together. ;-)

I tested the latest XBMC Remote build this evening, and after setting that pesky 'Let other computers connect' option was able to successfully use the remote functions. And Wake on LAN, which is not really related but pretty cool since I couldn't turn the system on with the IR remote I'm using.

I added some albums to the library (30 or 40) as a test. When I long press and choose 'Play Album', it's always queued as shuffle and plays in that random order. If I go into the album and tap a song to play, it plays a completely different song from that album. I couldn't find any shuffle options but I seem to recall in the past there used to be a default shuffle option for playlists. Maybe you could have 'Play Album' and 'Shuffle Album' as options?

Support for music playlists would be nice; if it's there I didn't see it. I frequently put my songs into playlists and put them on random (except when listening to album from start to finish -- in order!).

When adding albums to the library, the XBMC interface froze (while the music continued to play). XBMC Remote interactions totally failed to work, sometimes coming up with connection refused and sometimes not. Not a fault of Remote but maybe something to tidy up. Perhaps a 'force reconnect' option somewhere? Maybe if things aren't working you could have a 'Reconnect' button along with the error message.

freezy Wrote:Album thumbs ARE cached. ... on the SD card once downloaded
A thought on the caching: If you're saving each thumb as a separate file, people with large libraries might have issues when unmounting their SD Cards after a USB connection. Android does a sanity check when you do this and the more files, the longer it takes.

Might it be possible to investigate saving the thumbs in a ZIP (just store, not compress) if it's not too slow? Again, with a large number of thumbs seeking through the ZIP might mean it's not worth it. But it'd help when Android gets the SD Card back again.

freezy Wrote:About disconnecting: I had that a few times when not using the remote for a while. Need to take a look at it, good that you mention it, can you open a ticket?

I have noticed this also. A function to force Android to stay awake would be great too, even if the screen is dimmed or blanked. Sometimes I notice when it goes into sleep, the wireless turns off as well and it takes a while to come back causing disconnects... or maybe that's just me.

I've plenty of design and development experience (though none with Java; the code you guys have done looks pretty straightforward) if you're interested in assistance and I've been eager to get into a little Android development now I've got my phone.

- freezy - 2009-11-04

Yeah need to take a look at the sorting when batch-adding songs. Can you open a ticket for that? In file mode, you can play your playlists. The freeze when scanning is not really on our side, so you may post this in the dev forum or open a ticket on XBMC Trac.

About the number of files, I think zipping them would kill performance. The cache folders contain a .nomedia file so Android should skip it when scanning. I didn't notice any slowishness when putting back the SD card anyway.

The stay awake feature is already filed as a ticket, feel free to submit a patch for it Smile
Earlier in this thread mikkle I think posted the API reference link to how you can implement it.